+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you stop talking to a guy-friend if he fell in love with you?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't go there either. I would always be cringing, waiting for those three little words to come out.
    Big deal, tho. I've been on the receiving end of those words w/a friend & all kinds of other subtle things. Simply put, I felt guilty for feelings that I should have been grateful for and flattered by. Problems occurred recisely because I *didn't* take the bull by the horns & get our shit aired out asap.

Once that happened, there was some distance until we each got our emotions sorted out and boundaries in place. But now our friendship is stronger & more honest than ever.

If its a good relationship (this includes friendship), it can survive honesty with good intent. If it can't, let it go b/c its not worth the effort anyway.

My example is just for contrast. But I would agree that for most 'friendships', it wouldn't be worth the effort to go through this process. In my example, I have known this person for many years. I don't think I would go to this effort if this were a work acquaintance I am friendly with. I would just avoid this person.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 06-10-07 at 06:11 AM.

It'd depend on the guy, to be honest. If he were to act, after I turned him down, as if getting together or convincing me to love him were entirely possible, I'd have to ask him to back off. At worst, I'd stop talking with him. But if he were able to control himself, simply nod and accept it, and still play the part of friend without saying "I love you" every other minute because he "can't help it", I don't see a reason why something like that would be necessary. I have few enough friends as it is; I don't need to go losing them over something like that. I'd apologize and try to let things go back to normal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123