+ Follow This Topic

Thread: New Years Resolutions?

New Years Resolutions?

It's quirky, and I realize they're sometimes ridiculed. But I've also known some people who have done some great things with a New Years Resolution.

Just curious if any of you have any New Years Resolutions that you're going to target for 2019? Feel free to share!

Or to share past ones that you've attempted!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GLYC For This Useful Post:

Myself, I never do New Year's Resolutions. Don't get me wrong. The people that can do them and stick to them.... that's awesome. More power to you. Thing is, I personally find that "resolutions" are much more successful when you do them because you WANT to do them, not simply because it is a new year. Often the new year starts to approach and people think some arbitrary date means they need to change something. So they pick something to change.... more because they want to pick SOMETHING to change and not so much because they are actually committed to changing it. Hence why they often don't work.

Personally, I make person resolutions whenever I realize I want to change something rather than on a specific date. Case in point, two or three years back (I forget exactly when) I finally got myself back in the gym.... in May. I had NOT made it a "New Year's resolution" to do so. I just decided in May that it was time to take better care of myself. I decided I wanted to do it.... so I have stuck to it now to this day.

Okay, so my answer is kinda boring, though. LOL! I just personally never really do New Year's resolutions. But I'd never discourage anybody from trying, especially if it helps them finally change something for the better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

I agree that it's best to tackle what you want today, versus making a future goal. I often find that there usually isn't a perfect time to try to reach a goal, or, that's what we sometimes tell ourselves. As, a lot of goals do just require persistence and discipline. Obviously at times there are obstacles that probably shouldn't be crossed, or will temporarily disrupt your journey. But they should be viewed as temporary.

Good post man.

I too would never discourage anybody. It is cliche to set a new years resolution, however, I feel like in life we have a tendency to auto-pilot at times without thinking about our future or how to take that next step. I think that the new years resolution can help a person sit down and think about that.

I always tell myself I will cut out sugars, and excessive coffee drinking & I never do, hehe & travel more is always the top of my list all the time, sometimes I make it happen other times I just cannot afford it, so my resolution should be to reduce un-needed spending & save more so I can travel ;]
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breathe123 For This Useful Post:

I usually think of them as new years goals and for myself, I think I want to let go of past pains, move beyond things in the past and clear a healthy new path into my future. I want a family, and home and a forever promised as well and I cannot do that holding onto things I have been. Not an interesting resolution but there it is.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topazlight For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GLYC View Post
    I too would never discourage anybody. It is cliche to set a new years resolution, however, I feel like in life we have a tendency to auto-pilot at times without thinking about our future or how to take that next step. I think that the new years resolution can help a person sit down and think about that.
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I think they CAN be a very helpful tool. When there is something about yourself you wanted to change for the better anyway, they can be a great excuse to finally do just that. It's just that I think too many people get into the whole cliche of it all and don't approach it in the right way. It becomes a thing where the new year is coming so they have to come up with some resolutions. So they come up with resolutions just to come up with resolutions.

That's my point, basically. That doesn't really work. You have to want to change something in order to actually have the motivation to do so. ANY excuse to actually kick off positive change is great. So if New Year's resolutions works for somebody I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    I always tell myself I will cut out sugars, and excessive coffee drinking & I never do, hehe & travel more is always the top of my list all the time, sometimes I make it happen other times I just cannot afford it, so my resolution should be to reduce un-needed spending & save more so I can travel ;]
    Haha, that's a difficult life choice! I drink my coffee black. However, I feel like even if there were health benefits to gain from not drinking coffee, my quality of life would actually suffer more as a result!!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by topazlight View Post
    I usually think of them as new years goals and for myself, I think I want to let go of past pains, move beyond things in the past and clear a healthy new path into my future. I want a family, and home and a forever promised as well and I cannot do that holding onto things I have been. Not an interesting resolution but there it is.
    No, that's a very interesting resolution. I could probably ask you a hundred questions based on that reply. But I agree. I too struggle with that at times. The regrets, the what if's or could've beens. However, it's not a good way to live. It's best to take lessons learned (and often, I find myself being too hard on myself and blaming myself for things that weren't necessarily all in my control), and move on with a, thanks for the memories mentality.

I hope you're doing well though, if you ever need some venting, do let me know. I'm always a personal message, or a topic away!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GLYC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GLYC View Post
    Haha, that's a difficult life choice! I drink my coffee black. However, I feel like even if there were health benefits to gain from not drinking coffee, my quality of life would actually suffer more as a result!!
    I'm actually not a coffee drinker myself, but I feel the same way about my soda. I love soda. I do prefer diet soda and drink that whenever I can, but some of my favorite sodas aren't available in diet form. Plus, soda (even diet soda) is bad for your teeth. ...But I love it too much to give it up.

These days, I eat better (I don't have a SUPER healthy diet, it could be better, but it is generally not bad). I also work out. So, I'm not too worried about the empty calories. But, I've also started taking extra precautions for my teeth, such as an enamel strengthening rinse I use after I'm done my soda. Little work-arounds I use so I can still enjoy my soda because, much like you said about your coffee, I don't feel like I would be a happy camper not getting to drink my soda.

Quote Originally Posted by topazlight View Post
    Topaz,

I agree with GLYC. I think that's a great resolution. It can be really hard to move past pain in our lives. And you are right, it really can hold us back from enjoying the life we deserve. So I think your resolution is awesome. I wish you the best in following it and hope it works out for you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

I want to stop looking at his new ones IG and making myself feel like I somehow missed out because all I missed out on was a liar, a cheat, a narcissist, and a coward...not much really. But I sometimes feel obsessed to look and I need to stop doing that this year! Bad me, get it together already
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

You'll get there. I think all of us have that nagging curiosity sometimes. Even when we know, intellectually, that we are better off without somebody in our lives, there is that little voice in our heads making us want to check up on them. Before long you won't even think of this fella. And even the voice in your head will realize (as it sounds like you already have yourself) that you are better without a jerk like that in your life.

You rock!

along the lines of breathe123 in wanting to save more money, but not to travel right now but to save up and buy property, i am tired of wasting my money on rent and being restricted in what i can and cannot do where i live, prefer to own a house and land want land not just a patio overlooking a cityscape.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I'm actually pondering buying a place myself. I was sort of reluctant to the idea because there are benefits to having an apartment that I love. (They take care of lawn care, snow removal, etc. Maintenance is on them. You put your trash in a big dumpster rather than having to remember to carry it all to the curb on a specific day each week, etc.) That and having a mortgage can be so crazy expensive.

But, I've sort of been leaning towards maybe buying a place for a few reasons. First, I've actually seen there seem to be some always available near me where the mortgage could actually possibly wind up being LESS than I currently pay for rent. And the rent goes up each year where mortgage generally doesn't. But, there's also some condo type places where (for an additional homeowners association fee) they actually do still take care of all that stuff I enjoy from my apartment. So, kinda like living in an apartment but owning it. So I've been thinking about starting to make that transition myself.

Who has been able to keep theirs?

@My Coffee Cup ~ Kind of ~ I am using less sugar in my coffee & trying flavored blends in it instead & not drinking soda only drinks you mix with water instead ~ so its a start ;]
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ