+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Friend mad about pet sitting

Friend mad about pet sitting

A woman who lives in my building that I've been friendly with over the years but never gone out for dinner or anything like that although she recently invited me to kickboxing class... she's traveling another country and asked if I could watch her cat for 10 days because it's currently at her mother's house but her mother is traveling in a few months for 10 days.

Before she left on her trip I helped her find someone to rent her apartment while she was away. Maybe I did a really bad thing... She mentioned that if I couldn't take the cat her last resort would be giving it to a kennel which charges about $30 a day. Ive done pet sitting once in awhile and mentioned the situation to another friend who suggested I charged her. I couldn't charge $30 an hour given I know her... So I offered $10 a day.. that would be $100 vs $300. She took a Time answering and finally wrote back with that include litter and cat food. I said most of my pet sitting jobs those things have been included.

She has not responded for 2 days now so I'm guessing she's mad at me because she thought I would do this for free... which initially I thought I would do but sometimes I've questioned her integrity for lack of a better word when she asks things of me.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read so many different things online about whether or not to charge friends to watch pets... I wouldn't have even thought to charge her except that the friend who mentioned that I should and that same friend always pays her friends to watch her animals. I'm feeling like maybe I really screwed up a friendship?

Why do you have to supply the litter and food for someone else's cat you are watching, that is ridiculous and on that, I would have said no, regardless the amount of money being offered a definite NO! Don't worry she probably scammed another to do it for her, she isn't going to pay for a kennel if she is that cheap. My sister watched my cat when I went away for a week once when my roomie went away too, and I didn't even make her clean litters I bought a second litter box and filled both up, same as dry food and water in case she forgot to come in one day, cats will usually sleep if alone anyhow. I took my sister out to a nice restaurant when back home, that was all I offered for payment to her, she lived nearby and popping in once a day didn't put her out any, and I am sure she snooped plenty while in my place, lol.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

I know I thought that was ridiculous to and she said it. I actually sent her a text yesterday saying I would do it for free long as she provided the food and litter...she has not responded.

Unless your sister had a real problem cleaning a litter box it's unhealthy for a cat to use one thats not clean and sometimes they won't go in it because of that and get constipated etc...

She might have found someone to do it for nothing? I wouldn't bother texting her on it anymore.

My sister is selfish and to be honest lazy and I worried she would not clean my lil girls' litter until last day so I wanted to make sure there was a second litter box clean for my cat to use in case. Box boxes were clean when I got back, but can't say if she cleaned them regularly or waited until the day before I got home and cleaned both.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle