+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentines day is it a holiday we need?

Valentines day is it a holiday we need?

I say no, what's the point? Basically a marketing sales ploy for the card and candy companies and gets people in the seats at restaurants and movie cinemas.

Yes or no?
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CantMoveOn For This Useful Post:

no, we do not need that day to tell whomever we are with they are special to us. daily words and actions should be able to do that on its own. isn't telling someone you love them more important then being told a specific day you have to do so, or buying a card to tell them, how does candy say you love someone anyhow?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Exeter19 For This Useful Post:

I say no, but as a man, I will say that even if a woman states Valentine's day is unnecessary.

It's almost necessary that you at least try to do something still, or in lieu of it. It doesn't have to be on Valentine's day, but it should be around then.

Worst trap ever. Haha
    I mean, think about it, she logs into social media or interacts with her friends, they're taking about how hubby did this or that, and you just laid on the couch.

Not saying that's always the case, or with every woman, but it's just something to keep in mind as a man.

Overall though, I agree. The candy, flowers, bears, ehhh..
    If you really want to impress her, actually plan a well thought out date night. That will always triumph gifts. And if it doesn't, it's really not somebody that i would personally be interested in dating!
    Last edited by GLYC; 28-01-19 at 11:13 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GLYC For This Useful Post:

To be entirely honest, I've always hated the holiday. Even when I was in a relationship. Or, I suppose more accurate to say I hate what it has become. Even when in a relationship that, at the time, I think is a happy relationship, I hate it. If I'm in a relationship I participate, of course. As GLYC mentioned, you never believe a significant other who says "No, it's okay. Let's skip Valentine's Day." LOL!

I think the holiday was okay way back in the day but like basically everything people ruined it. Now it's become this big huge monster that makes single people miserable because they have nobody and makes people in a relationship miserable because they have to do something special for it. Not out of wanting to but out of obligation. I think there should be plenty of excuses to show your love interest how much you care. There shouldn't need to be a holiday for it.

Me personally, I've taken away its power to make me miserable. I'm alone, and destined to be so forever, but I no longer allow that any power to hurt me. I accept my fate, so these days I tend to either ignore Valentine's Day completely, or do something special FOR ME to celebrate my new-found self-esteem.
    Last edited by TheEvilJester; 30-01-19 at 12:01 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

Absolutely Valentines day should be holiday. Yes companies should allow holidays on 14 Feb.
    My Best Regards
    Jess

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jassicak7 For This Useful Post:

I'm basically trying to avoid dating until February 15th at this point. Lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GLYC For This Useful Post:

Not a bad strategy. Would be an awkward time to START dating somebody right before/right around Valentine's Day. Then it's the whole debate. Is it too early to be getting them something for Valentine's Day? ....Or if I DON'T will I wind up getting stabbed? LOL! ...Do I get just a little something because it is still early into the relationship? Do I get something really nice to show I can be that romantic? Do we make plans for the day of? Or does that make it seem like I'm too serious too early? Or if I DON'T would that make it seem like I'm not serious enough? Why DON'T pigs fly? Wouldn't that be really cool? Why do they call them fingers when they don't fing? How do you solve a problem like Maria? ....You know what? I may have gone off the rails on those last few.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

So far, one girl - no - and 3 men - no

One girl - yes , no guys - yes yet.

Lol at GLYC avoiding dating until after the 15th, but what if the girl you date after has a bday the same month lol

My dad would always give us candy on Vday, mom, sister, niece and I but would also give us a toothbrush and floss with it, lol practical guy. My ex never once bought me a Vday gift, might have given a card here or there, but no gifts at all.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CantMoveOn For This Useful Post:

When in a relationship I liked the holiday but when not in a relationship it makes me feel bad, it is a day I am excluded from participating in, feels unfair.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topazlight For This Useful Post:

Another for no, no VDAY. I agree topazlight, makes the day feel isolating when alone.

I mean... up until a few years ago my LIFE felt isolating and alone. Every single day of it. So, why should Valentine's Day be any different? Only thing that really changed is I accepted myself and accepted my fate. My situation isn't going to change, but I CAN change it by taking away its power to hurt me.

So, Valentine's Day doesn't really bother me anymore. It's just a day that comes after February 13th and before February 15th. But... still definitely in the camp of we don't need it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

Hilariously, my birthday is on Feb. 13th.

I honestly usually forget it even is Valentine's day following my birthday. Lol.
    Not that my birthday is like a super special extravagant thing but it still takes my mind away from the forecoming Valentine's day.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GLYC For This Useful Post:

^^^^ Happy Early Bday ~ GLYC ~ Have a great day! A bday beats Vday any day.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

25. The Following User Says Thank You to breathe123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    ^^^^ Happy Early Bday ~ GLYC ~ Have a great day! A bday beats Vday any day.
    Aha! Thank you!!! Yes, it's hard to be sad while you're eating cake! Haha

Oh hey! That means TODAY is your birthday. Well... at least as I am typing this. May not be your birthday by the time you see it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Now come over here so I can give you your birthday punches in the face. ...That's how people do it, right? LOL!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast