+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Guests in your home - Shoes off, or guest's choice?

Guests in your home - Shoes off, or guest's choice?

I was kind of curious what people do as a general rule of thumb. When you have guests in your home (having friends over, family over, etc.) do you insist that they take their shoes off at the front door, or is that left up to the guests to decide? (As in, they can take them off if they want but don't have to take them off).

Growing up, my family was never the "required to take your shoes off at the front door" kind of family. So, I remember any time that I visited somebody and they WERE that way, I found it surprising and weird. These days, I definitely understand the logic behind.... but I actually find it a little rude. I understand it is because they want to avoid tracking dirt/mud on their carpet. But, I think if you are worried about that, have a welcome mat, and ask people to wipe their feet very well before entering.

Okay, so I will READILY admit that I am the weirdo here... but for some reason even I do not understand, I feel SUPER uncomfortable going without shoes anywhere other than my own home. I don't even know why, I just always have. Hence why I never liked that rule. Funny thing is, in my lifetime, it seems like MOST people do not do this. You always run into the random people here and there who do insist on this, but more often than not they do not.

I did find a way to adapt, though, to the situation. I actually have a pair of slippers that NEVER touch the ground outside. They are only for inside use. So, weird though it may be, I keep those ready in the event of just this situation.

Curious as to what other peeps do when they have guests, or your own experiences with this sort of thing.

Only in winter - otherwise, I don't care. Same for when in other homes, I only remove in winter or if wearing pointed heels and they have hardwood floors - Then I remove.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CantMoveOn For This Useful Post:

The slipper thing, I've never heard of that!

I take mine off everywhere. The exception is If it seems like a really messy house that I'm at, especially if it has no carpet. Otherwise, I always do. Which is 95% of people's houses. I don't know, i almost feel like I'm disrespecting someone if I have shoes on, or that they'll be afraid I'm making a mess. Lol.

I guess I prefer if we are staying at my house for a while to take shoes off when on the carpet. If it's a short term thing, as in were waiting to go somewhere, or if we are on the hard floor. I don't mind.
    (Assuming they aren't like tracking mud or water inside)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GLYC For This Useful Post:

See, it's funny, but like I said, I'm the exact opposite of that. I almost find it disrespectful to expect people to take their shoes off. Again... I can't even understand why. Even I think it is weird... but I've just always been that way. I feel completely uncomfortable going without shoes anywhere other than my own home, generally speaking.

Heck, even when visiting my parents at my childhood home (my parents still live there) I don't generally take my shoes off unless I am staying overnight. I grew up there, so there I guess it isn't so much that I'm uncomfortable with it. Just that I'm MORE comfortable with shoes on.

And, again, I readily admit to being the weirdo in this case. LOL! But I'm sure I can't be the only one. Again, hence why I think the more polite thing to do is to WELCOME guests to take their shoes off if they'd like, but otherwise have a welcome mat where you ask all guests to thoroughly wipe their feet before entering. I mean, I don't know about anybody else, but in my entire life I cannot recall EVER tracking in any significant amount of dirt or mud or anything. Maybe a whole different story if you had to walk through mud or something and your shoes are obviously dirty.

I always take mine off, it was pounded into my head as a kid by my parents & grandparents ~ TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF! I absolutely hate if I am wearing sandals and have to go barefoot in someones house ~ yuck! So then I will say can I borrow some socks, hehe or I am leaving my sandals on.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to breathe123 For This Useful Post:

That's a different story, though. If you voluntarily take yours off even when a guest at somebody's home that's one thing. I was more talking about what people expect of their guests.

I can't imagine why anybody would every specifically NOT want their guests removing their shoes. I mean, unless their floor is under repair or something and there is a hazard of splinters or an errant nail or something. LOL!

But, it's always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine being expected to take my shoes off somewhere. Mostly because, as I've said, I'm uncomfortable with that for reasons even I myself do not understand.

On a side note: You ask to borrow socks? LOL! I would find that kinda gross myself, the idea of wearing somebody else's socks. I mean... I assume they'd give you a clean pair, but still... If I were you, I'd just have an emergency pair in my car or purse or whatever just in case. LOL! ...But, again, I think I may be the weird one there.
    Last edited by TheEvilJester; 22-02-19 at 12:06 AM.

in most cases guest choice

Yes guests choice, although I don't mind shoes on in our house. As long as they have no mud on them.

Just get lost.

You have no authority on here. You can't bully me.
    I'm going nowhere. Stop trying to harass and bully women on Cyberlove.com
    Report all you like, I'm not Gimpy. Gimpy is in the UK.

Hopefully, Jester, you can just do whichever is more convenient or comforting. My friend who is from Pakistan insists that dirt in the home is not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by My Coffee Cup View Post
    Hopefully, Jester, you can just do whichever is more convenient or comforting. My friend who is from Pakistan insists that dirt in the home is not a good sign.
    In that case, maybe it is a cultural thing. Other than if it is for cultural reasons, though, I've always found it a little ridiculous. You are never going to keep your home 100% clean and spot free. Not unless you drive yourself insane being a neat freak. So, this practice of expecting guests to remove their shoes always seemed overkill to me. I mean, again, big difference if they are muddy or particularly dirty, but in general I think it is ludicrous.

I have a page and half of blocked posts. These people are idiots. GDI

I always take my shoes off, all seasons in any ones else's home. A habit I think.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

Quote Originally Posted by lovebroken View Post
    I have a page and half of blocked posts. These people are idiots. GDI

I always take my shoes off, all seasons in any ones else's home. A habit I think.
    These person are idiots, more accurate, I think. LOL! I am pretty sure the multiple abusive accounts are all the same person. But, by placing them on ignore, you have the right idea. Just pretend they aren't even there and comment around them.

Anyways, that is polite of you. Again, though, that's more you deciding that is appropriate. To me, that is perfectly fine. I just never liked people who expect you should HAVE to take your shoes off when you visit them.