+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What does being Happy mean to you?

What does being Happy mean to you?

Just wondering..

Is it something only you can create or can others bring you happiness more?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breathe123 For This Useful Post:

Not having stupid little buggers like Gimpy in our lives is definitely a good start, but I'd say having a partner is one.

That is actually a really interesting question. Happiness is quite a fluid concept. It can mean radically different things to different people. At its most core, I think happiness basically means feeling content with your life. Feeling fulfilled. How one achieves such peace of mind can come from various sources. Love can be one. Happiness CAN come (in part) from other people. The thing is, one's happiness cannot rely solely on other people or even one other person. If it does, it isn't truly happiness. It is too fragile, possible/likely to end.

So, yes, happiness does ultimately have to come from within or it likely won't last. But others certainly can influence it, both positively and negatively. In some ways, it is almost a balancing act. Balancing enjoyment in life with suffering. Hoping that enjoyment outweighs the suffering. It's why the saying "money can't buy happiness" may be true.... but that doesn't change the fact that money can HELP one to be happy. It can be part of your happiness. I can't speak for anybody else, but I am A LOT happier when I'm making enough money to live the life-style I want. To be able to pay the bills yet still have fun money and savings.

But, if I were miserable all the money in the world wouldn't matter. I don't know... it's a difficult concept, breathe. And an interesting conversation, so thanks for this thread.

Happiness can be so many things. To some it can be love. It can be family. It can be true love. To some who have to begrudgingly accept that path is not for them, it can be more about self-acceptance. For some, it can even be as radical as finally finding self-acceptance, and finally finding themselves.... behind a mask.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEvilJester For This Useful Post:

I cannot say I've had much to be happy about over the past several years, and I live pretty much isolated these days. Last year, I went to jail (yet again) because I sent an apology to one of these support workers of mine, who has this restraining order against me. I also got charged for contacting her ex, who is generally a scumbag. The sheriff gave me 30 days in the hoosegow for one offense, and 40 for the other. Why not just give me 30 days each, then? Prick! On top of that, I finally ditched that lawyer of mine. He was useless anyway.

Well, I was supposed to do community service early last year, after getting charged for hitting a cop who came to arrest me, because I sent money to this guy in England. He was a pop star in the eighties, and we were friendly on Twitter. He got offended at something I said. When I tried to be decent about things later on, he ended up showing hostility, so I lashed out. I even contacted his wife where she works. He reported me to the pigs, and they eventually interviewed me and gave me a date for court. But I ended up breaching bail by sending the has been jerk all of that money. He was the lead singer of a band called Wah! - who had a hit with "The Story of the Blues" in 1983.

When I was supposed to carry out the unpaid work, I had to get medical proof to state I cannot do it, due to suffering from anxiety. Although I did send the guy £100 through PayPal as a kiss-and-make-up attempt, which he gladly kept, only to report me again. But I don't bother chatting to people who are celebrities any more, because you don't really know them well enough to become overly friendly with them. Plus, too much contact from a fan gets misinterpreted as hassle if you're famous.

I've not even had any decent support from anywhere else after I stuck my fingers up at Autism Initiatives. In the UK, you get help via social services with their funding. In fact, I live just 10 minutes away from the building that the useless social services work in. It doesn't look like they're interested in helping me at all. So I posted a complaint form, which they acknowledged, but only just. However, I got the impression I was fobbed off once again.

My housing benefit only covered me for 13 weeks, but before my release on 25 October, I went back to court on 2 October, and got another sentence that started that day, but it ran out on 7 December. My mother paid in money to keep me going. I've gotten Universal Credit up and running again, but my PIP hasn't been reinstated yet. It is causing me bother. The council wants me to pay £1175 in rent arrears, which in ordinary circumstances, is paid for by the council. But all of that stopped when I was in custody.

I'm also interested in being in more films, but you sometimes have to pay money to get a small part.

P.S. I don't give a damn about arseholes posting insults. Trolls who are still sore over old drama will be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    Just wondering..

Is it something only you can create or can others bring you happiness more?
    Definitely others can help bring happiness, specially if you let your love for them flow out. You will be returned with love and happiness fourfold.