+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Hi Strangers

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Hi Strangers

I don't know what's been up lately and who's still around.

I might be comin' back more permanently come June 27th when my AmeriCorps program is done.

I know there was another forum started by one of the members here but I haven't kept up with it (I couldn't even keep up with this one much less two).

I'll give you guys an extensive review of my past 10 months when I'm back at home if you care to read it and I'll let you know what's up for me for the upcoming year.

Hope to catch up with you guys on what I missed out on later.

- Fras

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hi frasbee! I've really enjoyed your Americorp photos. It must be really hard for you to see your time come to an end. I am looking forward to seeing you post again.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Hey Choi! I'm looking forward to your return on June the 27th. Hope everything is going well for you. We await your return.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    I don't know what's been up lately and who's still around.

I might be comin' back more permanently come June 27th when my AmeriCorps program is done.

I know there was another forum started by one of the members here but I haven't kept up with it (I couldn't even keep up with this one much less two).

I'll give you guys an extensive review of my past 10 months when I'm back at home if you care to read it and I'll let you know what's up for me for the upcoming year.

Hope to catch up with you guys on what I missed out on later.

- Fras
    WOW. Fras! My nemesis! How have you been bro? WOW. You are back! Well, A LOT has happened since you left. A LOT! Here is a recap... (i don't want to use any names, so i will use letters instead)...

x and y were joking around, and then, x got a little mad at y for posting things he wasn't suppose to. so y got put on probation for a bit. meanwhile, a, b, c, d, and e were upset a this, so they all banned together, against x. z came along, and supported x for awhile. it was a divided house. so, d decided to open a new 'sector'... half the alphabet stayed here, and the other half were deported. over time, things leveled off. y returned to the new sector, and joined his comrads. then, x shows up at the new sector, and we all make up. z is loosing it, and wants a, b, c, d, and e to come back. because he realized that these were the letters keeping this place alive. well, some letters have ventured back here, but others choose to remain bound to their new sector. the important part, however, is that x and y, and a, b, c, d, and e all get along now, and have no hard feelings whatsoever. the end result of it all, was a new sector with new rules and a new governing body.

...and that's a recap of it all, and that brings us to the present day

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Alright.

I'll try to make this summary as summarized as possible.

So I'm finally out of AmeriCorps*NCCC.

My projects were as follows:

Charleston, SC: Garden Festival: 1 week
    Jackson, Mississippi: Tutoring 3rd, 4th, 5th graders: 7 weeks
    Key West, Florida: invasive species removal/ hurricane debris clean up: 5 1/2 weeks
    New Orleans, Louisiana: team leading short term volunteers in house gutting and mold remediation: 11 weeks
    Pensacola, Florida: house repair as a result of hurricane Ivan (2 years ago): 4 weeks

New Orleans was my favorite project, being the most difficult and the most fulfilling. Me and my team mates weren't simply doing the grunt work, we set up and ran the Hands On: New Orleans volunteer facility. We lead the teams, we made the decisions, we knew what was what. I would have joined AmeriCorps simply for that project alone.

Our final project in Pensacola was a huge flop. The sponsor we were working with didn't have any meaningful projects for us. Their sexist attitude towards the females on my team (there was 5 girls 3 guys on my team) resulted in us having having little work other than painting. Apparently that's all girls can handle. I on three different occasions confronted the site supervisor about the work we were doing, and he just kept getting defensive about it.

Anyway. On the plus side, we had a lot of down time in Pensacola which led to us goin' to the beach quite often. Might I mention, Pensacola beaches are beautiful. White soft sand, and crystal clear blue water. With all the extra down time I started getting myself more familiar with a particular girl on my team. I knew it was kinda futile as it was the end of the year, but I finally worked up the courage to tell her how I felt rather abruptly with a kiss, and turns out the feelings were mutual.

Graduated AmeriCorps last Tuesday, but because of flooding in Philly, my flight was cancelled and I had to go back to the dorms for one more night, which in the end was awesome, because Amy (the girl) hadn't left for Texas yet, and I got to spend a few more hours with her and shared in my mind what was a more proper goodbye. (we never made it known to the team we were seein' eachother as 'teamcest' is often frowned upon).

Since I've been back I've been busy as hell, running errands, discussing business with my old boss who's hired me to help manage a gaming cafe' he's opening. As well as prepping for this upcoming year when I'm going to be working in my old highschool as my service learning director's assistant through AmeriCorps*VISTA. This time around though, I'll be stayin' home.

And that basically brings me to here and now.

I cut out a shit load of detail tryin' to keep it short and sweet. If ya have any questions don't hesitate to ask. But hopefully I'll be able to continue to find time to stop in and talk to you guys again. I'd like to hear about what in your lives I've been missin' out on.
    Last edited by Junket; 06-07-06 at 03:27 AM.

welcome back!!!
    It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love someone - but it takes a lifetime to forget someone"

People change and forget to tell each other.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    good to hear from you again.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Waheey Choi!
    Hellooo! Xd
    =]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee

Since I've been back I've been busy as hell, running errands, discussing business with my old boss who's hired me to help manage a gaming cafe' he's opening. As well as prepping for this upcoming year when I'm going to be working in my old highschool as my service learning director's assistant through AmeriCorps*VISTA. This time around though, I'll be stayin' home.
    Cool. Is this a paying job, or is it for experience?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Cool. Is this a paying job, or is it for experience?
    The gaming cafe' is a paying job. Not much now, but my pay will increase once it's open. Assuming I'm still working there.

VISTA will be paying me a stipend like NCCC did. But about 4 times more than I was gettin' paid before because housing and food aren't provided. Once I finish VISTA, if I apply for any government job, assuming I qualify, I will be selected by default over all others. Plus I get another $4,725 towards education.