+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Steve Jobs

Letter to Steve Jobs

Dear Steve Jobs,

I'm writing to tell you that though I like your products, I think 13" is just too big. Sure it sounds nice on your website and people have been chattering about it for a while. That's just macho locker-room talk though. How long to we ladies have to say that size doesn't matter before it sinks through your thick skulls?

I have your 12" ibook and frankly, even that is too much sometimes. So now I can't upgrade, because 13" wont even fit into my bag, if you know what I mean.

Yes there are some freaks who have the 15 and 17 inch models, but I suspect that those just sit on a table and are never even put in a bag at all, so then what's the purpose of having a laptop at all then? And anyway, anybody who puts a 17 incher into their bag and carries it to work/college every day surely causes themselves lasting physical damage!

So please make a 11" inch ibook model. Size shouldn't have anything to do with performance; as long as it packs the same punch, us ladies - and indeed guys too!! - would be glad about the neater packaging. Sure, the monitor would be a little smaller, but as long as the resolution, brightness and battery endurance is there the size doesn't matter.

Yours,
    -tiay

--------
    i'm gonna see if I can mail this to apple.. heheh..

oh, and I'm back from my holiday, it was fabulous and I have a fabulous tan

wtf ?

maybe only computer geeks will get it

I'm a computer geek; I get it; I dont find it amusing.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

hehe oh, geeks are cool; nerds aren't.
    Mainly i'm just pissed that the new macbook is 13" and not 12", because I have to lug the damn thing around all day at college, and I was going to upgrade to an intel mac but now I don't know... It's rumored that they're working on an ultra-portable laptop, but it damn well better be full-featured, not a wimpy little thing that doesn't .. 'perform'...
    .. gutter minded

Young lady, you have a VERY creative & imaginative mind. I love it! Do you recall the remark I made several months back about the significance of the organ found between the ears? Yours (the organ between the ears, not the ears!) seems to have all the qualifications for a lifetime of satisfactory interaction. And since your original post dealt with size, and I'm posing physiological riddles, here's one to ponder:
    I'm thinking of an organ on the human body. This organ has the remarkable ability to radically change its size in response to stimulation. Under certain conditions it can increase to 6 or 7 times its size under other conditions! Can you name the organ, and describe the stimulation that brings on the change in size?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay
    hehe oh, geeks are cool; nerds aren't.
    Engineers can make VERY satisfactory husbands, even though you wouldn't want to be caught dead with one at a party!

Dale

Dear Steve Jobs,

I'm writing to tell you that though I like your products, I think 13" is just too big . . .
    Hey, guys just naturally like BIG ONES!

I've never met a notebook or laptop computer I really liked. The screens always seem too small for my tri-focaled eyes, even when you get them positioned in the just-right angle so they can be seen at all - my typing style (a bit more aggressive than hunt-and-peck - I call it "search and destroy") manages to mash 2 or 3 keys on each stroke - the "pointing devices" (trackball, pressure pad, or whatever) all seem to require the finesse of an eye surgeon (and 10 minutes of trying) just to select a file - the things just feel flimsy - and you're always looking for some way to conserve batteries, which means somebody is gonna trip over the power-pak and yank the Personal Confuser onto the floor.

Now I admit that I spend most of my time parked in front of Engineering Workstations with 20" and 22" CRT monitors, and ruggedized, wireless, keyboard and mouse. It just seems that the whole idea of the carry-around computer has more aggravation and frustration than benefit. I've gone back to a trusty quad-ruled, spiral-bound pad when I'm away from a desk.

hehehe ^.^
    well, yes, computers with big keyboards, screens and mice are nicer to use. I love my 20" inch iMac.

.. eh?

Not in that way, perverts!

kidding, kidding

Anyway, they just lack one little detail.. I can't sling it all into my school backpack every day. But I am hurt that you have never met one you liked. How could you not like the new powerbook? the keyboard is full-size after all. And the power plug is magnetic which means it detaches itself automatically if somebody trips over it.

Quote Originally Posted by daletom
    I'm thinking of an organ on the human body. This organ has the remarkable ability to radically change its size in response to stimulation. Under certain conditions it can increase to 6 or 7 times its size under other conditions! Can you name the organ, and describe the stimulation that brings on the change in size?
    well, it's not penis, that's for sure, that'd just be too obvious. I suppose the skin (which is an organ, I think) could get bigger a lot if you get fat or pregnant, but that isn't really what i'd call 'stimulation'. then there's lots of internal organs I know little about.. I don't think the lungs 'expand' that much when you breathe, I wouldn't call breathing stimulation either. Maybe the stomach or bladder or something. Food is .. kind of stimulation.. eh? doesn't sound very catchy though, "liek its ur SPLEEN! EW!".. hehe no. hm. .. well, maybe it it's something between the ears. Not the brain, i'd hope, because that'd be painful. ah. the pupils? And the stimulation is light... are eyes organs though?..
    well.. I don't know, what is it? It better not be something obscure!

King Zarathu Guest
    [url]http://www.bestweekever.tv/2006/07/07/bwe-mac-ads/[/url]

^^^^^^

Macs suck. Also, I enjoy my 19" LCD =)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathu
    Macs suck.
    I'LL BEAT YOU TO DEATH! neh, I dont' like the idiot branding apple has been doing. ie limiting the prefs as if it's customers were idiots. Come to think of it, they weren't doing this before they were trying to attract windows users. Who are idiots, of course. so that makes sense.

f

lol ..geeks are cool
    I hope God hears our prayers...

well, it's not penis, that's for sure, that'd just be too obvious.
    Too obvious?? Since it's the first thing you mention, I'd say it's pretty obvious that YOU have a DIRTY MIND!

And, young lady, . . . If you expect it to increase by 6 or 7 TIMES you are going to be VERY disappointed. At the least, you are greatly over-rating your abilities.

ah. the pupils? And the stimulation is light... are eyes organs though?..
    well.. I don't know, what is it? It better not be something obscure!
    Excellent response! (Should I add, "Especially from a MAC user?" ) Yes, the dark-adjusted pupil opens to around 6 or 7 millimeters in diameter. When stimulated by light, it closes down to about 1 mm or a bit less - a change in (linear) dimension of 7 fold. (In terms of area, it's even more dramatic - in the range of 30 to 50 times. Now a girl who could get that kind of response from her boyfriend would REALLY have something to brag about!!!)

And that's what makes the 7x50 binoculars such an excellent instrument for amateur astronomy and other low-light situations. They gather light over a 50mm aperture and compress it down to a 7mm aperture. This (7mm) is the largest size that can be accepted by a fully dilated pupil. In the process - as you recall from introductory physics - the image size is magnified, but it's the light-concentrating effect rather than the magnification that makes "invisible" objects in the sky (or battlefield, or game preserve) very obvious when you train the field glasses on them.

Dale

Too obvious?? Since it's the first thing you mention, I'd say it's pretty obvious that YOU have a DIRTY MIND! ;)
    that's something I regularly say myself. I guess it has to do with knowing that most people I talk to have done it. I get the feeling that sex is a much bigger deal to those that haven't done it, specifically if they just turned 20 :P It's like kissing; I couldn't stop thinking about it when I was 18.

- as you recall from introductory physics...
    oh, I never went to school before college :X I'm actually pretty damn bad at that type of thing.

- as you recall from introductory physics -
    oh, I never went to school before college :X I'm actually pretty damn bad at that type of thing.
    My kids were home-schooled in the early elementary grades. One is now a High School science teacher with a Master's degree in education (undergrad in Biology); one had the 2nd best academic record in her High School class of about 350, and best academics in her department at college; and the youngest is scoring top 2% to 5% in his college entrance exams.

My point: never apologize for being home-schooled, or use it as an excuse. You are very organized, articulate, and broadly knowledgable. I'm not only attracted to intelligent people in general, but think that brainy girls are very sexy! Don't be afraid to let it show!

As for the physics - I hope your degree program requires at least some introductory science. I'm NOT going to hit you with, "My Engineering core required literature and psychology, so you artsy types need to have some math and science." - that argument is totally bogus. I'll just say that an educated, well-rounded person benefits herself as well as those around her by at least knowing the vocabulary and major facts associated with a variety of disciplines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast