+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thirty-something cornfed farmboy

Thirty-something cornfed farmboy

Hmm. Not sure exactly what to write here, considering the nature of this forum. Usually I post either to spiritual or tech forums, and themes are laid out differently.

I suppose I'll just ramble on about myself. I'm good at that, at least.

I was born 'n raised in East Texas, but please don't hold that against me. I've spent years trying to rid myself of the accent to no avail, so I jsut gave up and embraced the drawl. hmm... politically I'm a moderate, with slight conservative leanings,. and religiously I'm a mutt. I've probably studied at least a little of every religion on Earth, trying to take whatever truth there is from it. I call myself a Taoist, but I'm not necessarily knowledgable on the Tao.

My first love was music, but due to personal life complications I gave up on ever becoming a singer. Now I want to be a writer, but I can never make myself sit down and finish a story. Probably for fear that I'll discover that I'm not so good at it. Meh.

For most of my life I've sold automotive parts, but I've had a host of jobs over the years, everything from a cattle-tender to a computer tech. I even worked as a telemarketer for four hours, before my conscience got the better of me and I had to quit, and I think I'm still certified as a Mississippi river-barge deckhand, though I never managed to find work in that field. But lugging around buckets of hydraulic oil and Ford starters for sixty hours a week finally took its toll, and a year-point-five ago, my back went out. I spent three months not able to raise myself off the couch under my own power, but I'm a little better now, and hope I'll be good enough to go back to work again sometime. Until then, I'm collecting disability.

I'm a big guy, very overweight, which makes the dating world a little scarce, but I do have a woman I'm seeing now. Not sure how it's going to work out, though. I'm hopeful, but I hold no illusions.

That's all I can think of right now. Pax Amo Lux.
    I wish that I could turn back time, 'cause now the guilt is all mine,
    Can't live without the trust from those you love...

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    what part of texas are you from??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't mind the "overweight cowboy" part, but please tell me you are not a fan of Bush.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Texas w00t w00t! Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

I hope you're not thinking about getting back into the same business- you'll break yourself. Maybe it's time to try writing- don't be a chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch
    I hope you're not thinking about getting back into the same business- you'll break yourself. Maybe it's time to try writing- don't be a chicken.
    Hehe naa, not really. I hate the inbreds in that godforsaken town, and selling car parts, I dealt with the bottom of the barrel of it. I'm actually considering applying for something like Texas Rehab and going back to school. Maybe journalism, or a tech field, or somethign along those lines.

Hmm, so much to reply to, I've been busy the past couple of weeks (actually, filling in at the old job running the place while the boss went on vacation. No hard labor though, just managing paperwork/inventory and giving orders to his teen employees)

what part of texas are you from??
    Right on the Eastern Edge, about an hour due west of Shreveport, La. Little city called Carthage.

I don't mind the "overweight cowboy" part, but please tell me you are not a fan of Bush.
    Not a fan so much, but not a hater either. Politically, I'm a moderate, with (very)slight conservative leanings. I voted for Bush in the last election, but only because I thought Kerry was an even bigger slimeball than Bush is. If the Democratic Party could ever produce a candidate that didn't absolutely ooze slime and waste, then I'd turn Yellow Dog.

Although, well, today I found out that Kinky Friedman got on the Texas Governor's Ballot, and I do believe I'm gonna vote for the guy.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Interrupt
    Not a fan so much, but not a hater either. Politically, I'm a moderate, with (very)slight conservative leanings. I voted for Bush in the last election, but only because I thought Kerry was an even bigger slimeball than Bush is. If the Democratic Party could ever produce a candidate that didn't absolutely ooze slime and waste, then I'd turn Yellow Dog.

Although, well, today I found out that Kinky Friedman got on the Texas Governor's Ballot, and I do believe I'm gonna vote for the guy.
    Surely by this point you have to admit that Howdy Doody would have made a better president than Bush! Come on! Admit it! You made a mistake.

Anyway, I saw Kinky Friedman being interviewed recently, and I thought he was entertaining. I can't remember much else about him, other than his name. :shrug:
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Surely by this point you have to admit that Howdy Doody would have made a better president than Bush! Come on! Admit it! You made a mistake.
    I ADMIT NOTHING!

I don't want to get into a political discussion, but:

Ok, he's not been a great president, but he's been far from the worst. Nixon, Carter, etc. But even I have to bang my head against the wall at what his administration has done to international relations. Then again, everyone already hated the US, he was just a (really) easy target to point a finger at. Believe me, the UN is just as corrupt as any American political body, and I think the rest of the world is finally seeing that. No offense, but people that say inane things like "Howdy Doody could do better" just weaken their argument and show that they can't think for themselves, and buy into whatever psuedo-political line is being spouted by their favorite harebrained celebrity.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't have a favorite harebrained celebrity, else I might have said THEY would be a better president than Bush (and I would have been right), and trust me when I say that I can think for myself. In fact, just because I don't like Bush doesn't mean I like the U.N. either. In fact, I bet I dislike the U.N. even more than YOU do. No offense, but you should probably turn off Rush Limbaugh and FOX news long enough to get to know that non-Bushies are more informed than they want you to believe.

Nixon worse than Bush? Hah! He was crazy as can be, but at least he was good with foreign policy. Lots of his domestic work was good, too. And Carter (who was probably the most decent man who ever held that office) has a very fine record with regards to human rights. Bush has neither. I think he will be remembered much worse than either of these presidents since he has nothing to redeem himself with.

PS - I don't think you are allowed to say "I don't want to get into a political discussion", and then expect no one will respond to your subsequent political statement...
    Last edited by vashti; 24-06-06 at 02:35 PM.

Ehh, you may be right. He's certainly not going down into the annals of history as the best or anything, but he'll probably just be forgotten by history, like so many presidents before.

But I still think he was a better choice than Kerry. Hell, if Kerry hadn't made an ass of himself like in that photo showing him holding a hunting shotgun (that he had tried to ban a couple years earlier) to try and fool Southerners into thinking he wasn't pro-gun control, he might've actually gotten elected. Southerners aren't as dumb as you yankees seem to think sometimes. We're just more laid-back.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I thought the reason the Red States didn't like Kerry was because he doesn't hate homosexuals.

We never even saw the gun thing on the West Coast. It was a big nothing here.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    I thought the reason the Red States didn't like Kerry was because he doesn't hate homosexuals.

We never even saw the gun thing on the West Coast. It was a big nothing here.
    Wow, you must have a really single-minded, narrowed view of the world. And the "gun thing" was certainly a big issue everywhere else in the nation. Maybe people down here are right about the west coast.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    True, we don't watch much FOX news here...

Anyway, anyone who favors gun control is fine with me. Which reminds me: I wonder if Cheney is still hunting...

Last edited by vashti; 25-06-06 at 09:11 AM.

Hello, everyone!
    I am from China. I'm glad to meet so many friends.

Quote Originally Posted by swuftygirl
    Hi there. I just joined myself. Good to meetcha. I'm a 29/f from Florida. I'm sorta seeing someone too. A man I'm deeply in love with.
    Hi swuftygirl, I'm swuftyguy... but you already know that.

Hi everybody, I'm glad to meet you.... glad to be here. I'm 47/m from Indiana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast