+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like I have everything against me.

I feel like I have everything against me.

I don't even know how I get into these stupid situations, I think fate hates me.

I'll just lay it all out on the table. I went on vacation to the UK last year to see family, and while I was there they tried setting me up with this guy, Brian. He and I hit it off really well and had a great time together, so when the time came for me to return to the U.S., he gave me his e-mail address.

We've been keeping in touch for a year now, and he's amazing. I know it's weird to some people to have an online crush, but I've really developed feelings for him. He's just the greatest guy I've ever met, and this whole situation is really bringing me down.

Here are the problems. One, obviously the distance. Though if all goes as planned, I'll be seeing him twice next summer (yup, NEXT summer).

Two, there's an age difference. I'm seventeen, he's twenty four. I know, it sounds bad. When we met, we didn't know each other's ages, and figured after we had got along so well, what did it matter if we wanted to remain friends? We have loads in common, we go out and do the same things with our friends, etc. Mentally maybe I'm more mature, or he's less mature, but our ages never even come into play. We can have great conversations and have many of the same interests, so I've never felt young, and I've never felt like he was older.

By the time I see him next summer I'll be a month away from turning 18. The age of consent is 17 where I live anyway, but that's besides the point because I'm not considering sleeping with him. I'm just saying, legal-wise, there's nothing wrong with any potential relationship.

He's shown interest in me and said things that lead me to believe that when we do see one another again, something could happen. But I don't know what to do. My friends keep telling me to move on and date other guys, but I don't want other guys.

He's the only one I care about. I wouldn't care if I have to wait 1, 2, or 5 years until I see him again--he would be worth it.

I just don't know what to do. I can't even look at another guy right now, so how am I ever going to get through this situation?

Sorry that was so long, by the way. I have a lot to say

U r throwing ur youth away for something i really think u will regret. Ur only 17 i know how it feels just now u think u will be with this guy 4ever and u think wrong am sorry 2 say. U have way 2 much against u. Ur age and miles! I know u wont listen 2 me either cos i thought just like u when i was that age. U will regret wasting yrs of ur life on something that will never happen.

I say go for it. That way you can become like everybody else who's already been there, done that, and warn others not to make the same mistake. Somebody needs to keep the cycle going.

Teezy Guest
    he's probably banging some other chick right now...

Just cos i know what like it is at that age and how much u truely believe ur in love. And i dont doubt that for a second but the longer u leave it the more hurt u will be. And am not going 2 say this quite as rudely as the person above me but they have a point. What 24yr old guy is going 2 remain faithful for all that time. And yes we do live and learn but u will have 2 start living again asap

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Honestly, whatever he tells you, he's probably not willing to wait a year or MORE to be with you. Maybe he'll get together with you, but he'll likely be seeing other people until then, and you should too.

Cripes girl, you're only 17! Don't start limiting yourself already (for a guy you can't actually see, at that!!)
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I know a couple that meet on the net ...
    She was from US ... He from the UK.
    they got married last month

Although they are like 30+

But it's possible and I'd say go for it girl !
    But keep in mind that things don't always go as u want them to.

I do agree with Sugar and Neo... Not only are you wasting your youth "waiting" to be with this guy, but the chances are very high that it will fail (or never happen) and in another 12 months you will be back on here telling us how this guy you met and have had a LDR with just broke up with you for someone in his local area.

He is 24... And has a 17yo who is infatuated with him... Of course he will be nice to you (and make himself seem like the best thing in the world). Whats most likely going on here is he is keeping you are a "holiday" fling, yet still chasing tail at home.

You need to date, and breakup, and date again. You need practice and experience in relationships.

Who knows in those "1, 2 or 5" years you are waiting, you could have 2 or three serious relationships. He might still be there, you'll have experience, you'll know if he wanted you for YOU, not you pants.

Seriously... DO NOT WAIT FOR HIM.
    *MaJiK*

There are not many things I fear in life, but disappointing you is my greatest.

I love you even with your flaws... I love you because of your flaws.

Well in addition to fate I've got a lovely forum of cynics against me as well eh?

I've thought about it, gotten advice from different people with tons of different answers, and ultimately, I've decided I'm going to go for it.

It's my own decision to make. The fact that I'm 17 and, according to most people, should be off drinking and having random hookups means nothing to me. I'm going to do what makes me happy right now.

So thank you all for your..uh..negativity, but I've decided that I need to live my life the way I want.

Thanks though, it offered perspective.

please keep in touch. I would love to hear how things turn out for you.

Will do, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelleVie
    I'm going to do what makes me happy right now.

So thank you all for your..uh..negativity, but I've decided that I need to live my life the way I want.

Thanks though, it offered perspective.
    Seems to be working real well for you.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    Seems to be working real well for you.
    Excuse me?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, you know.....you asked for opinions, and we weren't trying to be negative, only honest.

Of the posters that replied, I know that most of them are considerably older than you and therefore likely have experience in this area, or have seen it happen to people close to them.

But anyway, good luck.

PS No one was saying go out and get drunk and be a slut. We were just saying enjoy being young and free and don't date TOO seriously. About one in a million people actually end up marrying the person they fell for at 17. Just a thought.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Oh, I'm not thinking about marrying him or anything like that. I'm not concerned with the future, just how I feel right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast