+ Follow This Topic

Thread: can you still be good friends with your ex?

can you still be good friends with your ex?

I am very curious about this subject: can you still be good friends with your ex after a bad break-up? I'm just trying to see how many of you out there will be friends again with your past-lover. B/c I, myself, would stay a good friend with my ex regardless of why we broke up. But that is me....i just want to know why one wouldn't and one would.

My ex would not be my friend again and I want him to still be my friend. He's one of the most important person in my life and i don't think i can live without hearing his voice or knowing about what's happening in his life. What can i do to make him still be my friend? i know it's a stupid question...but i loves him...more than a friend but I don't want to rush myself into a relationship with him. I'm afraid he will run away and likes another girl and i'll regret later on. i know i'm greedy.. but what can i say.... this is the only thing in my life that i had been greedy about. I shares everything, with every1. But not a man. sorry.

in Arab there is good Sentence " The real love belong to the 1st lover"
    I do not want anybody hate me and I want everybody be my good friends but I can not.
    I do not have ex but when I have I well tray.I know it is diffecult.

i think it depends on how bad the break up was and how mature you both are. sometimes it can work. i dated someone years ago and we are still friends to this day!
    It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love someone - but it takes a lifetime to forget someone"

People change and forget to tell each other.

I think it's harder for the one who's been dumped to still be friends.
    Seeing ur ex dating other people can be harsh.

The one that did the dumping always wants to keep friends.
    But the dumped one rarely see's it coming and has a broken heart.
    Sometimes no contact is the best solution after a break-up, but u get back in contact after u dealt with the break-up.

In a word. No!

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm still in contact with my ex four years later. We don't hang out or anything, but we do send update emails back and forth. Our breakup was mutual, so there's no reason for either of us to dislike each other.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Yes.

Friends with an ex? That depends on a lot. But the biggest factor (in my experience) has to be how much you two care about each other outside of a romantic relationship standpoint.

My ex-girlfriend, who I loved very much, dumped me for an ex of hers (who also happened to be one of my best friends). It hurt me a lot (almost brought me to the point of suicide), and, for a while, destroyed the friendships I had with both my friend and my ex.

Months went by, and after taking some time away from both of them, I realized that I cared too much about those two people to cut them out of my life.

There are details of the situation that make it hard to explain to anyone else, but the three of us are cool again, and I actually hang out with them pretty regularly. My ex and I have too much of a connection to just drop everything, regardless of what happens. She's now like a sister to me, and we still love each other. But not romantically; my ex and I are friends.

It's possible. And, after being so close to someone for so long in a romantic relationship, I would think it would be harder not to continue the friendship.

Just my two cents.

-Z
    Last edited by Denthrare; 10-07-06 at 02:23 PM.

how long were u in the relatioship for?

Honestly whenever I get out of a relationship I always say I want to be friends still... but it never ends up that way and I think I prefer it that way! Unless we were friends way before hand, but even then jealousy on both ends would be a factor...
    I think I would wanna be friends with some of my exes now that I know I've healed from them... but I probly wont

that's my opinion
    good luck =)

Relationship wasn't long. But you're right; we were friends before we dated, and we were very close friends. That's why, I guess, we still have a good relationship now.

Jealousy was a problem for me. When I saw my friend and my ex kissing for the first time...

We'll not say. I just have some anger problems, and that particular vision pushed buttons I didn't know I'd had.

-Z
    "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love."
    -Charlie Brown

hm, well im still friends with my ex's. it all depends on the break-up. if you both go on good terms, then you most likely will stay friends. it'll be kinda awkward, but youd still be friends.
    Baby, you wouldn't last a minute on the creek.