+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What to do about my parents?

What to do about my parents?

ok I realize that this is kind of the same thing that was posted either a few days ago but I read through it and didn't really get any pertenant information towards my issue.

So I am a 21 year old college senior and I have had very few relationships. One since I have been in college. But here is my issue. There is a guy here that I really like but he is black and I am white. While I was in high school I asked my parents once what they would think if I dated a man of another race and they told me how difficult it would be for us because society tends to look down on interracial relationships. I kind of disagreed and ended the conversation. So yes I am 21 and I can do what I want but I don't want a relationship between me and a guy to end the relationship between my and my parents. How do I get them to understand that he is a great guy and that I really like him. I am prepared to deal with the consquences (if there are any) to having an interracial relationship but I was wondering what you thought I should do? Do I tell my parents about him? do I ask them if it is ok that I date him what do I do? Please help me

Sure; there's bigots but it's not that big a deal these days IMO. Are your parents bigots?
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

I don't think they are bigots...I'm pretty sure that they are just worried that I might be getting myself into something that I can't handle...."bitting off more than I can chew" if you will.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    People won't admit bigotry these days, that is looked down upon in this society, more so than interracial relationships.

Looks to me your parents don't approve, and are using "societal norms" as their excuse.

do what makes you happy.

Just tell them & see how they react ...
    If needed bring him to the house for diner or something like that.
    So they get to know him better!

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    People won't admit bigotry these days, that is looked down upon in this society, more so than interracial relationships.

Looks to me your parents don't approve, and are using "societal norms" as their excuse.
    My thoughts exactly, Fras.

No one's parents (how many times must I say this?) should be dictating WHO they are allowed to date as adults (or even implying they 'don't approve' of certain people), most especially when it comes to race/culture. If they are basing it on that, that's bigotry.

My advice is, if he's a nice person and you like him, date him. If your parents have a problem because he's black, that is THEIR problem, and one they need to work through for their own sake. It should have no impact on your relationship with them. If it does, they are manipulating you, as far as I'm concerned.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi