+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Gifts

Gifts

Hello!

If you have already discussed this, i apologize, but i couldn't find any similar topics.

I usually have a hard time picking gifts for my boyfriend. I know it's best for the gift to be really personal and special. But sometimes the idea just doesn't come. So I'd like you to share the best gift (or more than one) you ever gave or get, or if you have any cool, original, cute, fun,... ideas.

Thanks!

why not give us info on what he likes so we can try and come up with something more to him.

King Zarathu Guest
    I second that. Give us some information.

Also, guys (I know I do) love receiving roses. Red rose, for the win.

---------------------------------------------------------

He is going abroad for some time (work), so it is actually a parting gift. I'd like it to be cute and thoughtful.

The best gift I ever recieved was a drawing, yep. People couldn't understand why I got so excited over a drawing, but I did - because my best friend had been drawing it for three years and then he gave it to me for my Birthday.
    But - I don't think you want to give him a drawing. So, why not something practical for work? If he's into writing or whatever you could always make a scrapbook and leave empty pages so that he can write in it.
    But yeah, more information on him would be helpful.
    To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love; but then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer, to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love; to be happy then is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy; therefore to be unhappy one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.

Guys like gadgets. If he doesn't have a PSP, Gameboy, PDA, Ipod or something along those lines, he might get more use out of that while he is gone that he would with some dead flowers or candy, or more junk he is going to have to pack away / store. Think practical - something he would use everyday while he is gone. Now you kill 2 birds with one stone - He has something he can use, and he is thinking of you when he does.

Guys don't give 2 shits about romantic, cute, or funny. We all nod and laugh and smile, and then those gifts get stuffed away in a drawer - only to be taken out when you come over, and then re-stuffed into the drawer once you are gone. All the while wishing you had got something we could actually use, drink, or look at.

The guys who claim the DO like all the romantic shit are simply lying to themselves and to you in hopes you will appreciate them more, and are either single, young, pussy-wipped, or closet homo. Likely at least 2/4.

If you buy some dude who is getting ready to go out of town some flowers, he will nod and say "Thanks!" and in the back of his head say "This bitch doesn't know me, does she....wtf am I supposed to do with these?"

Scrapbook = lame. Guys don't walk down memory lane. You will have spent hours on a book that will also be stuffed away, only to be looked at with/by you.

If you want to give a man something he will definitely look at, take some topless pics of yourself and sneak them into his suitcase. Or take a whole set of sexy photos. Those dont even have to be naked, but as long as you aren't wearing granny-panties and coveralls, I promise you he won't forget that gift either.

Think about the male mind - (The one that isn't oppressed by vagina and isn't being drug under the bus by some broad) and you can probably imagine what sort of stuff he might like to get as a present.

King Zarathu Guest
    Mucka:

It also depends on the guy you are with. If you're with an asshole who is probably in the Marines, and has no sense of romanticism, etiquette, or any sort of class, then you should probably spend $300+ to buy him some sort of gadget.

Not all guys who have a sense of appreciation for romance is pussy-"wipped."

I disagree with cybog, but there's no point in arguing with him, plus, I do agree that something he will use or see every day is a good idea. Hm. How about a nice necklace? not a girly one that he'll be embarrassed by, though. I gave my bf a keychain with half a stainless steel heart, and I have the other half, though that may be "too much" for some tastes, I guess. If you know something practical for his work, that might be worth considering. What does he work as?

Also, I suggest that whatever you give him, also give him a little note that you hand to him right before he leaves and ask him to open on the plane. Me and my bf are always doing this. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be an over-the-top-lovey-dovey letter, or a poem or something, just write about how he's changed your life, what he makes you feel, how much you'll miss him, etc. you have to mean what you write, otherwise the most well-crafted love letter is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    I disagree with cybog, but there's no point in arguing with him, plus, I do agree that something he will use or see every day is a good idea.
    That made a lot of sense. Especially when you go on to say "If you know something practical for his work, that might be worth considering." But then again, what do I know?

Ipods and Gameboys aren't that expensive. By "gadget" that could be anything from something you got on ebay for $20 bucks or something you got for $300. It all depends on your budget. The only problem with my example was that I assumed that she wasn't in High School and actually had some form of income. She didn't provide me with her W2 form, so my only ability on a web forum is to tell her what men really want, money be damned.

If you want to go cheap, or womanly, feel free to get him gold chains with hearts (haha I laughed on that one) or write him some sappy letter.

If you want to give him something practical that he will actually use, appreciate, AND not smile uncomfortably about while lying to you about how much he likes it, then go with something more like what I described.

Jewelry and poems are for High School kids who still think that trinkets are a sign of love and affection, and actually think that that garbage will win brownie points. That's all "romance" is. It's another reason for you to go spend money on bullshit that nobody needs. Valentines Day is a perfect example of the culmination of bullshit you don't need or want.

The reality of life and relationships isn't about what's "cute" or "pretty". It's about showing that person you really do care about THEM and not the stupid, boring, and stale flowers and candy that the other 5 billion people on the planet are buying for their signifigant others. How original.

Do you want to be a drone girlfriend - Or do something that shows you are more considerate of what he might NEED and WANT rather than what is "cute"?

I didn't say a gold chain, I said non-girly necklace. the hearts thing wasn't even a suggestion it was a separate example which I acknowledge might be too much to some tastes. And the 'love note' I suggested *in addition* to whatever the gift is. Pay attention.

Mucka; please ignore cybogs uber-manliness-dont-give-me-cute-'garbage' stuff. he's just trying to compensate, the poor guy.