+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "parents say earn big bucks-hahh i just finished college howww"

"parents say earn big bucks-hahh i just finished college howww"

i was talkin to amy dad ,who always thinks hes right. do u guys think ppl who are homeless and on the streets or even ppl who are poor-is b/c they don't have goals in life-meaning becoming a CGA, engineer, or not getting a PHD......or even going up and growing himself in an organization , and that all they want to do is party and have fun. he ssays how all the homeless ppl are all big and strong and how come they don't work , i mean i believe most ppl don'tchose to be on the streets , it gotta to be reason other than goals and ambtions in life

i argue as no as homeless ppl have mental issues....

i jsut started a new job 2 months ago ,how the heck can i become or get a high paying job when i just started in a call centre andprevious before i don;t even have any work experience related to even any work experience. i told him one has to work his way up, and not make that instant 6 figure salary job. btw i only went to community college for a 2 yr business diploma. i now somany fellow grad who finsih the program and are still workin in retail as a cashier....not even related to their field.
    how can one even explain this to my harassing folks that no i don;tmake 6 figures and get promoted in 2 months-please get real.
    then they compare me to my cousin who is 32 with a MBA degree,. i mean does success determine how much one makes or if ur just happy wiuth ur job. they say like look at ur other 35 yr old cousin who also went to community college hes making 40/hr doing drafting-how about you.
    what do i even say to this

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think financial success has as much to do with personal ambition as it does education. Ambition motivates people to be constantly looking for a way to boost themselves up economically, even if it means they have to change jobs. Not everyone has this kind of drive, but not everyone needs it to be happy.

Are you living at home with your parents? If you are, you should do what is necessary to make yourself self-supporting. Grown men tend to look at children living at home as children, and this is probably what your dad is thinking. He will respect you more if you can take care of yourself 100%.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

joe45 your dad at least is dislutional. The only way to make 6 figures in 2 months is by illegal activity of some kind. You are right that it takes years to get to 6 figures salary wise. From the way you typed center I am guessing your from Great Britain.

In the States a lot of the blue collar jobs, plumbers, electrictains ect, can make more than that when they get to 40 becuase they have experience and their skills are in constance demand, especially now that there is more demand than ever and there is a shortage of these type of workers.

As far as money it self goes, there are other was of making it. You can invest your money in various things like CD's, stocks, bonds, IRA/ROTH's etc. Personally I have mine own ROTH and two CD's. Besides the money I have in the bank. And I have yet to get a high paying job either, just low end jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by joe45 View Post
    do u guys think ppl who are homeless and on the streets or even ppl who are poor-is b/c they don't have goals in life-meaning becoming a CGA, engineer, or not getting a PHD......or even going up and growing himself in an organization , and that all they want to do is party and have fun. he ssays how all the homeless ppl are all big and strong and how come they don't work , i mean i believe most ppl don'tchose to be on the streets , it gotta to be reason other than goals and ambtions in life

i argue as no as homeless ppl have mental issues....

Homeless people are usually homeless due to being trown out of their home as a result of: Depression, Mental illness, Alcoholism, drug abuse, unemployment or a combination of all.

They fall into a rut and become depressed etc and just go on from day to day doing the same.

They loose all motivation and confidence in themselves and they see no way out. Then it's a vicious circle, if they have no address they can't apply for a job so they remain jobless, moneyless and homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by joe45 View Post
    does success determine how much one makes
    No but I think we measure success by how much one makes, what car he/she drives, house they own etc.

I think your dad is right and wrong. I believe you must set yourself goals in life and go out and achieve them.

However I think he has ambition for you and has high expectations and obviously wants to see you succed in life. You can't blame him for that. The problem is it's you that needs to gain ambition not him. He shouldn't be comparing you to cousins etc as this is not fair on you.

People are limited to what 'they think' they can achieve. If you truely believe you will become a millionare and have a burning ambition to do so....YOU WILL!

You start off with small goals and as you achieve them you gain confidence in yourself and what you are capable of. Each time you achieve something you gain more confidence in yourself so next time you raise the bar higher so to speak.

It's not about luck, being in the right place at the right time, or all the other sayings people use.

Education won't necessarily bring you a 6 figure education either. I don't know I guess it depends on what YOU want out of life. Are you happy to have a regular job which pays an average wage or do you want to be a millionaire one day?
    Last edited by derm; 09-10-06 at 11:05 PM.
    Many questions answered.... Many answers questioned