+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Facts

Pointless Facts

POINTLESS FACTS

The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.

Our eyes remain the same size from birth onward, but our noses and ears never stop growing.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.

A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than from starvation. Death will occur about 10 days without sleep, while starvation takes a few weeks.

Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows.

When the moon is directly overhead, you weigh slightly less.

Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never telephoned his wife or mother because they were both deaf.

A psychology student in New York rented out her spare room to a carpenter in order to nag him constantly and study his reactions. After weeks of needling, he snapped and beat her repeatedly with an axe leaving her mentally retarded.

"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Colgate faced big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries because Colgate translates into the command "go hang yourself."

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

"Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive double letters.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.

The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

If the population of China walked past you in single line, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

China has more English speakers than the United States.

Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.

Each square inch of human skin consists of twenty feet of blood vessels.

An average person uses the bathroom 6 times per day.

Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood we have only 206 in our bodies.

Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body. If the average man never trimmed his beard, it would grow to nearly 30 feet long in his lifetime.

If you leave Tokyo by plane at 7:00 am, you will arrive in Honolulu at approximately 4:30 pm the previous day.

Scientists in Australia's Parkes Observatory thought they had positive proof of alien life, when they began picking up radio waves from space. However, after investigation, the radio emissions were traced to a microwave in the building.

Strange-but-true: The average four year-old child asks over four hundred questions a day.

The average person presses the snooze button on their alarm clock three times each morning.

The three wealthiest families in the world have more assets than the combined wealth of the forty-eight poorest nations.

The first owner of the Marlboro cigarette Company died of lung cancer
    Many questions answered.... Many answers questioned

I got a question for you Derm, you might know, you might not, but why does every country in the UK end with "land", e.g England, Ireland, Scottland but Wales does not?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    I've heard that there is no conclusive proof that lack of sleep will cause one to die.
    No sleep at all would cause one to die, although staying awake for 10 days would be very difficult... or impossible to do

Lack of sleep can do alot of damage though, sleep is just as important as eating

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian View Post
    I got a question for you Derm, you might know, you might not, but why does every country in the UK end with "land", e.g England, Ireland, Scottland but Wales does not?
    Don't know Eurasian. Do you? Maybe there's no real reason, just a coincidence that it isn't.

Could also be that Wales has it's own language and seing as they want to different and independant from the rest of the UK they decided to break the trend and be different.

Also Ireland as an island is not part of the UK. It's just N.I. that is.

Iceland, Greenland, Finland, Switzerland, Poland and Thailand are called so, even though none of them were colonised by britain? New Zealand was so it wasn't a british thing in my view

Dunno.

Google it
    Many questions answered.... Many answers questioned

Also. Don't you think Wales-land would sound a bit silly?
    You can only trust your shadow...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe those named with the suffix "land" were Germanic in origin, and Wales is Celtic? Just a guess...
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Im pretty sure Scotland and Ireland are Celtic too. I'm not 100% certain though

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The reason I thought Germanic is because I think "land" is Germanic. Oh, well. They may all be related for all I know. They all talk funny.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I want to find out more about that right-handed people living on average 9 years longer than left-handed people thing.

I'm right handed.

I'm ambidextrous. How long do I live for?

Quote Originally Posted by SWLR View Post
    I'm ambidextrous. How long do I live for?
    Wow, what's that like? I'm pretty good with my left hand, but I could never write with it. Can you write with either? Which do you eat with?

Do you play some kind of stringed instrument in your band? It would be impossible for me to play guitar upside-down. It's nearly impossible to play right-side-up.

Are left handed people more creative?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Wow, what's that like? I'm pretty good with my left hand, but I could never write with it. Can you write with either? Which do you eat with?

Do you play some kind of stringed instrument in your band? It would be impossible for me to play guitar upside-down. It's nearly impossible to play right-side-up.

Are left handed people more creative?
    I can write with both hands.

I eat with my left, don't know why

I play guitar, but I play it the right-handed way, playing it upside-down would be like re-learning how to play it because your fingers aren't used to it

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's not the lack of sleep that would kill you, but more likely the hit on your immune system and your bodies' ability to repair itself.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    So the article is more focused on the proliferation of left-handedness, but it does reference certifiable statistics.
    Is that article to suggest that the reason for deaths is in part to the fact males on average die sooner than females? And that risky behaviors (sports/fights/competition) are also more of a cause to the death percentage than the actual left handidness?

(I'm a lefty)

I never knew the average person went to the restroom 6 times a day. I beraly go once a day, if that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast