+ Follow This Topic

Thread: only you and me

anachronistic Guest

only you and me

originally written by moogle. I wrote this for english class; it is based on a true story, given the fact that i left things out, and added things. enjoy.

Once, I fell in love. I saw her for the first time when she passed me through the halls at school. She smiled at me and tripped on the air. I laughed and continued on my way, unable to help looking back, only to catch her looking back at me.
    She was very kind from what I knew, and quiet, like me. None of my friends knew her well, although they thought she was pretty, as did everyone else. She didn’t have many friends, and neither did I. One day I summoned the courage to walk up to her and said hello; I became her best friend. She was the best friend I ever had. It was the deepest, most caring relationship I have ever known, and I have yet to see a relationship as strong. We spent every summer together; we grew up together. It went by fast, and I remember each day as if it were yesterday.
    I remember the day of our first kiss; when I ran into her basement, where she followed me. I remember how the sun shined through the basement window, onto her face, revealing the prettiest face in the world. She grabbed my hand and beckoned to go back up with her, and the next moment, we were kissing!
    We fell very deeply in love, and shared everything in life. It was full of hope, and it seemed as though it would never end. Things started to slowly roll downhill.
    Everything seemed to collapse around me, and one day, she wasn’t there anymore. She stopped calling one day. I called her, but she never picked up. I left a rose on her porch, symbolizing love. I often wonder what happened to it.

The next time I saw her was at the school’s valentine dance. Hoping for a chance to restart our friendship, I waved to her and she pretended as if I wasn’t there. I asked myself what I did to make it turn out this way; I searched for the answer inside of myself, thinking blame was the cure.
    I sat on a bench to the side, watching everybody dance and have fun. I cried on the inside, thinking she was the only girl who ever wanted to dance with me.

Towards the end of the dance, the DJ put in “I’m here without you” by Three Doors Down. I spotted her in the crowd, wanting to dance with her. I got up and walked across the dance floor. Before I realized, I was standing before her. I asked her to be my friend again and asked her to dance with me. She shook her head and walked away, and the depressing guitar riff started. With shoulders drooping, I headed back to the lonely bench, when someone grabbed my hand. I turned around, and it was a girl. She said “Why have you been sitting over there watching the whole time?” I looked at her blankly. What did she expect? Nobody wanted me around. No girl there wanted to dance with me. Unexpectedly, she said “Come on”, and pulled me out to the dance floor. The lyrics seemed to wait for us to start dancing, and after the first step, they started.

A hundred days have made me older
    since the last time that I saw your pretty face

The girl looked into my eyes, as if she knew exactly how I felt. I thought about the last time my love was with me, and how perfect it was.

A thousand lies have made me colder
    and I don’t think I can look at this the same

I felt betrayed; I thought of all the lies she told me, of how she would never leave me.

But all the miles that separate
    they disappear now and I’m dreaming of your face

I closed my eyes and thought about how I would always love her, no matter how much I hurt, no matter what happens. I compared it all to a dream; how wonderful it was, but it ended with the rays of dawn.

I’m here without you baby
    but your still on my lonely mind
    I think about you baby
    and I dream about you all the time
    I’m here without you baby
    but your still with me in my dreams
    And tonight it’s only you and me

I opened my eyes, and realized that I wasn’t dancing with her. With the feelings one gets after waking from a nightmare, I desperately looked away and tried to find her. I looked all around, but soon realized she was right next to me, dancing with a guy. Nothing hurt me more than seeing the way she gazed into his eyes, the way she once did to me. I looked the other direction, and my heart stopped beating. The girl held me closer. I looked up into the stars, and stopped paying attention to the lyrics. I thought of everything in life that made it worth living, and all I saw was her. The song was near its end.

But your still with me in my dreams
    And tonight girl it’s only you and me

I looked back down, and a tear ran down my cheek. The girl asked me what was wrong, and I looked at the girl whom I once thought loved me. She saw the tear, and I turned around. I left the dance in a heap of tears, and with a broken heart.

If I could have anything out of this world I wanted, I wouldn’t choose to be famous, or rich. I wouldn’t wish for worldly possessions. I would only wish to find my soul mate; I would never steal her from another man, nor would I cheat her. I would get her the most honest way, which is the way it was meant to be.
    After all the pain I have suffered, I will never give in to the ways of cheating, or stealing. I will never betray anyone, and I will always remain loyal to those I love.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 07-12-06 at 01:48 PM.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
    "I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
    - John Burroughs