• Sometimes, but it passes

15 68.18%
  • Yes, and it's ruinning my life

3 13.64%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Depression

So, who's depressed around here? What are your symptoms? Is it situational, or chronic? What are you doing about it? Do you hide it?

Edit: Okay, I'm depressed about the personality trait that allows me to post before checking for spelling errors. Zarathu's going to gut me over that, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Gigabitch; 09-12-06 at 02:06 AM.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I voted "sometimes" because at current it is situational.

I won't go into the details, but the past month has been an emotional roller coaster for me (outside of what was going on with Ames).

On a "normal" basis, bouts of sadness are not frequent.

Fortunately I've been able to keep a pretty positive outlook on life and it's definitely been helping me get by.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I believe I am moderately depressed, and I think it is due to a hormonal imbalance, but I choose not to take medication for a couple of reasons. First, depression levels tend to vary, and I don't wish to medicate myself regularly over something that comes and goes. Second, I think that being able to feel is what makes us human, and to dull our ability to feel dehumanizes us.

I have taken anti-depressants before, though, because I was so low that I was worried. This was after I gave birth, and I was a mess, and I was very low for a few months.
    Last edited by vashti; 09-12-06 at 02:31 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

i'm depressed. mostly from back pain and watching the world go to hell.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

King Zarathu Guest
    Besides, I'm always here to make it better.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    For me its sometimes. It just comes and goes. I could be totally fine one day and the next just feel like absolute sh*t. But, I hear thats normal.

I used to be on medication, but I didn't like how it made me feel numb to everything. Plus, If i missed a dose, I would become looney and just fly off the handle at the drop of a hat. So, I opted to stop the meds and just deal non medicated. I've learned pretty well how to make myself numb to things in my life that really bother me, or to speak up when im pissed. I also learned to take things a day at a time instead of worrying constantly about the big picture.

The holidays are kinda depressing for me now. I work xmas eve and day, my mom will find out if the chemo is working or not, Im missing my dad (he died almost 3 yrs ago), and Im single and crushing on someone I cannot have.

But, I gotta stay focused on all the stuff I DO have. As long as I keep that in mind, I know I'll be fine.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Well, I struggle with crippling depression on a semi-regular basis and I'm trying to look at it as something I have to get through, rather than around, so I'm not opting for meds. I think I'd feel a lot better if I'd do things like eat regularly and sleep more, but I'm trying to work on that.

I've never had this happen before- I went 37 years without being depressed, and now it's been over a year and it's getting to the point where I have to ask myself if you can call it a crisis if it lasts this long. I don't know if it's situational- I expect it is, as I dismantled my entire life within the last year and am trying to rebuild. Maybe that's just wearing me out.

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to have a great kid, a great boyfriend, friends who will check up on me and, of course, YOU GUYS, who I just don't know what I'd do without sometimes.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It is very possibly hormonal, Giga.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I think I could fix it with a lifestyle change, if I could be arsed to do it.

What do you others think? Can you fix depression without meds?
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think yes if it is situational, but no if it due to hormonal imbalance.

i'd rather take it out on other people than take meds.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I was, in Giga's words, cripplingly depressed for a few months about 2 years ago. It was certainly situational, rather than hormonal - it followed a bad experience with a guy, but I think rather than being depressed over things not working out between us, I got really freaked out when I saw what a huge life crisis he was going through. We bonded a lot talking about religion - he was a recent convert to Christianity - and then he, out of the blue it seemed, went from being this actively religious person to being a total atheist. It made me think a lot - too much - and I kind of went into my own downward spiral. I was never happy, I withdrew from activities, couldn't talk about anything else.

That was almost two years ago. While I can't say I'm the most happy, together person I know, I'm certainly well beyond that. I've got some shit to get together, and of course no one knows when things will hit them, but right now I'd say I'm 100% free of depression.

(I picked "sometimes", btw.)

King Zarathu Guest
    Yay, titties!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by King Zarathu View Post
    Yay, titties!
    Zath, there's a time and a place, and then there's not.

Just keep that in mind.

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Zath, there's a time and a place, and then there's not.

Just keep that in mind.
    I never even read the threads dude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast