+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Search and Rescue

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Search and Rescue

So, 'cause this VISTA thing has gone to shit, and I'm now bored as all hell, and because certain things are currently binding me to Philadelphia, I've come across a volunteer Search and Rescue organization, that trains twice a week.

I was thinkin' about joinin'.

There's different teams available, anything from water S&R, ground team, bicycle team, canine and equine teams.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is that it's kind of a commitment, and I'm really not sure how long I'm gonna be here.

What do ya think? Should I just go for it in the mean time and screw 'em if I leave early?

Or just sit here and be bored?

anachronistic Guest
    when you join something like that, it gets personal. they will become familar with your particular situation, and they will either allow it or not.

Fras, I think that's right up your alley, and you could always use what you learn there anywhere else you go. I'm sure they'd be glad to have the help even for a little while.

S & R guys are HOT.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, I'm thinkin' about checkin' out their training this Sunday, and I'm bringin' a friend too so it should be interesting.

I can't help but think these guys will be a bunch of Boy Scout rejects. (AKA dorks), but we'll see right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee

I can't help but think these guys will be a bunch of Boy Scout rejects. (AKA dorks), but we'll see right?
    I haven't found that to be true. The guys (and a couple of girls too, actually) I know who do this are just pretty 'core outdoorsy, rafting guide, ski patrol types who are very macho and really enjoy the hero thing. You have to be tough to do this and pretty committed to helping people. Sounds like you to me.
    Spammer Spanker

i wanted to do that with my dog at one point but i realized i didn't want to put my dog in bad conditions. but it seemed awesome. you should do it, it'll be fun. how long does it last?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i wanted to do that with my dog at one point but i realized i didn't want to put my dog in bad conditions. but it seemed awesome. you should do it, it'll be fun. how long does it last?
    Essentially, as long as I want it to.

But I don't wanna go to like 6 trainings and meetings and then quit because I'm leaving for elsewhere, know what I mean?

But you'd be back someday, right? If it's being offered, take that opportunity. If they're training others at the same time, it's not a waste of anyone's time, right?
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    But you'd be back someday, right? If it's being offered, take that opportunity. If they're training others at the same time, it's not a waste of anyone's time, right?
    Depending how things roll here in PA I'll either be stuck here or I'll be endin' the VISTA term early (and forfeit the $4,725 education award) and either move to Oklahoma with my brother or maybe NOLA...

And no, I wouldn't be the only person they're training so I guess it's worth a shot to at least break up the boredom.