+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What do you hate about X-mas?

What do you hate about X-mas?

Just watched a truly genius documentary on the BBC, What Grumpy Old Men think of X-mas. Was hilarious!! And I confess I agreed with essentially everything they said, so I must be getting pretty grumpy too in my old age.

Anyway I know there’s already an Christmas thread but this thread is for complaining about X-mas, so I hope that’s different enough. Just thought it might be fun to list a few of the things they were bitching about, and see if anyone agrees…

Putting up with annoying relatives - Having to put up with arguing relatives, or grandparents that continually lecture you and tell the same stories about their past over and over again… “In my day we didn’t have all these presents. In my day you were lucky if you got a lump of coal in your stocking.” *groans* and the line that makes your brain pack its bags and go on holiday “During the war…” I know it sounds like something out of Simpsons, but that’s what really happens here!!

Carol Singing - Like Halloween X-mas seems to be the other annoying time of year when random strangers think they can come up to your door make some lame attempt at singing a carol and hold a bucket out asking for money!! The cheek!! Some people don’t even bother to sing the carol properly.. its just like.. “Hark the Hardald angel sing… blah blah… yeah can I have some money?” Has this sort of thing ever happened to any of you guys?

X-mas Cards – Is it just me or does any one else think its really pointless that so many people feel the need to send out X-mas cards to every random person they know? Seems such a waste of paper and money when you think about it, especially when people start sending them to some guy they met on holiday all those years back or an old high school mate who they haven’t even contacted (besides X-mas cards) in 30 odd years.

Advent calendars – Just another X-mas product made for pure consumerism and what’s the point of it all. The whole count down with artificial chocolates and crumby drawings.

Pantomimes – Don’t get me started on this. Just the thought of the “Its behind you!” shouts of screaming kids and barely recognised celebrities wearing tights sends shivers down my spine.

Lights – It seems utterly ridiculous the amount of lights, flashing Santas’ etc... some people feel the need to smother their house in these days. The amount of electricity all those lights must consume can’t be doing any good for the environment. And they’re so distracting on the roads can’t be good for road safety either. I mean how insecure do you have to be to need to coat your house in lights to show off to your neighbours and get attentions? Seriously?

Santa – The whole concept of taking children to see some random guy fresh from the Job centre wearing a Santa suit seems so bizarre to me. Especially as most of the year parents are always lecturing children never to talk to strangers, but its fine to force them to sit on some random guys lap at X-mas and scare the hell out of them. I always used to dread having to talk to Santa at X-mas. Always creeped me out. But maybe that’s just me.

Songs – The number of gimmicky X-mas CDs around these days is amazing. Always a new one out every year, with all the same tracks as before and just a few more crappy ones added.

Food – Doesn’t it seem crazy that after a huge X-mas dinner its traditional to eat an incredibly rich and filling X-mas pud. All food at X-mas tends to be sickening as hell I find, tonnes of chocolates, mince pies, chocolate log, huge X-mas dinner… My stomach twinges just thinking about it…

Trees – If you get a real x-mas tree it looses pines everywhere, usually by X-mas Eve.

Crackers
    – The crappy-ness of cracker “surprises” and jokes speak for there self really. The joke I got the other day was – “What did the beaver say to the tree? …. Nice gnawing you…" *shakes head*

Office parties – Just an excuse for people to get incredibly drunk and slag of all they’re work colleagues and blame them for everything that went wrong in the year.

Anyway, just a few of the annoying things about X-mas. Please feel free to add your X-mas complains to the list..
    Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That I have nobody to celebrate Christmas with...

Except my cousin I suppose...I guess that's one thing worth having Christmas for.

anachronistic Guest
    aww choi, i will come out and celebrate christmas with ya. bachelor party

the only thing i hate about christmas, is how it rubs its ass in all the other holidays. it pokes its ass in as early as independence day! i hate how christmas is commercialized. other than that, i love christmas.

Santa, I'm with you on that. Something just ain't right when you've got a colorful fat guy watching kids then punishing them when they're bad in the night.

I hate opening presents. 90% of the time you have to fake a smile or surprise and it's just uncomfortable.

And thank you notes. Those suck
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Zarathu View Post
    Tomorrow is going to suck because I didn't bother to buy anybody anything.
    shit. same situation here, except i bought an assload of gifts for my ex and her family. but now she is an ex, and i feel stupid giving my mom bath and body works perfume and candles, and i'm sure my brother wouldnt enjoy all the biker shit i got her dad. and there is no puppy in our family to naw on a bone.

what did i learn? family first.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate that religious conservatives always try to imagine the is some sort of "war" on Christmas, especially when all I see is Christmas everything beginning the day after Halloween.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I hate that religious conservatives always try to imagine the is some sort of "war" on Christmas, especially when all I see is Christmas everything beginning the day after Halloween.
    if you are referring back to my post, it has nothing to do with religion. it annoys the hell out of me seeing christmas way back in july.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate the fact I have to work all through out christmas weekend and christmas. Plus, we are short staffed, so it makes work even more difficult.

I also hate being broke.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

The only think I "hate" is having to deal with my dad when I go to a place like the Four Seasons with his side of the family. Because he will try and show off how smart he is or something like that. But I guess there is a price to pay when you are not paying for a meal at a 5 star hotel.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    if you are referring back to my post, it has nothing to do with religion.
    ???

What post? I must have missed it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I only hate Christmas when I am alone. This Christmas sucked for me.
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/love9sick][/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/83163164[/url]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great OV!!! View Post
    I only hate Christmas when I am alone. This Christmas sucked for me.
    You and me, should play LIVE.