+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to exercise.

Time to exercise.

Trying to think of a basic schedule to get myself into. All I really want is to flatten my stomach a bit and work on my abs a bit. I was kinda thinking something like this:

Bike 5 miles a day, 3 days a week.
    600 crunches every single night, 100 on left, 100 on right, 400 straight up.

That's basically it. I don't have any weights to work with. Just a bike and my own imagination.

I seriously doubt you will keep to that routine. 600 crunches a night? It won't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian View Post
    I seriously doubt you will keep to that routine. 600 crunches a night? It won't last.
    600 would be easy for me.

For about 3 years I did 1000/500. 1000 every other night, and every other night from that 500. It was pretty easy, just lay down in front of the computer, put on a playlist of music videos, and get to it. It's easy as hell if you make it a comfortable environment, and before you know it "999, 1000, 1001, oh wait... done!"

Every other night. Not EVERY night.

Well when I used to do that, I started off easy. I think I built up each night by 50, and once I got to 500 then I just jumped to 500/1000.

It got to the point if I didn't keep up with it every night, I didn't feel so chipper the next morning. Then I had surgery, switched to work night shift, had full time classes, and now I got 20 extra pounds and a missing 6 pack.

I recommend you lose weight before hand. Do plenty of cardio and eat good food. Then do your sit ups.

..hmm.. i'm told crunches don't actually do much for your abs/stomach unless you already in shape all-round– but i'm sure you knew that

edit: damnit, Eur beat me to it.
    and here's a link that might be helpful: [url]http://www.flat-stomach-exercises.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    ..hmm.. i'm told crunches don't actually do much for your abs/stomach unless you already in shape all-round– but i'm sure you knew that

edit: damnit, Eur beat me to it.
    and here's a link that might be helpful: [url]http://www.flat-stomach-exercises.com/[/url]
    Yeah. If you're starting off from a big ole beer gut, crunches won't do a darn thing. If you've already got a relatively flat stomach, then crunches are more in your range.

Thing is with me, I'm so limited on what I can do that I'd rather do SOMETHING than nothing. So with me eating better, coupled with the bike rides and the crunches, I hope to be in pretty good shape. I'm a pretty built guy as it is, I just fell into a time where between night shift and college I had zero time to workout, so I gained a few pounds. Unlike most people who realize they're overweight when they're maxin the scale at 400, I'm realizing it early and figured I'd just make a small change to a minor thing.

anachronistic Guest
    when i work out,

first i stretch out
    2 sets of 10 with 50 lb weights (curling)
    200 situps
    2 sets of 50 pushups (abs are already worn out, thus forcing you to use triceps more)
    200 situps
    and a couple of other dumbell excercises.

i really dont run much. i probably should, since that is one of the best ways to tone muscle. i have really good endurance; i can run a mile without getting winded at all.

i can leg press 600 lbs

Sweet dude. I liked the leg press at high school. The leg press we used I could do the entire stack, which was 590 lbs. I don't know how other leg presses are, but this one, as you pushed the weights out, amplified the weight. By the time your legs were fully extended when pressing in the 590 lift, it topped out at 1,060. I did about... maybe 10 reps of that overall. Did a few, stopped bit, few more, etc. Those 10 reps were over the course of a half hour or so. The scary thing about that was, when you pressed your legs out completely, there was so much weight pushing your lower back into the seat it was actually very painful to deal with. Plus the fact I had sneakers on it felt like I was barefoot, cause the foot pedals hurt like hell.

good idea
    I saw a documentary on nightshift work- very hard on the body. I gained 10 lbs at college last year, which was shocking since I've never had trouble keeping my 120 lb.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blue toxin View Post
    Sweet dude. I liked the leg press at high school. The leg press we used I could do the entire stack, which was 590 lbs. I don't know how other leg presses are, but this one, as you pushed the weights out, amplified the weight. By the time your legs were fully extended when pressing in the 590 lift, it topped out at 1,060. I did about... maybe 10 reps of that overall. Did a few, stopped bit, few more, etc. Those 10 reps were over the course of a half hour or so. The scary thing about that was, when you pressed your legs out completely, there was so much weight pushing your lower back into the seat it was actually very painful to deal with. Plus the fact I had sneakers on it felt like I was barefoot, cause the foot pedals hurt like hell.
    the one at my school is one where you can put plates on it. basically, i could put a ton on it if i wanted. but i havent seen anybody do that. the strongest guy in my class (seniors) who is captain of the football team can only leg press as much as me. i am not in any sports either

and tiay, i never had problems with weight. i eat like a pig, and i work out, maybe 2 times a week. i only weigh 190 :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    good idea
    I saw a documentary on nightshift work- very hard on the body. I gained 10 lbs at college last year, which was shocking since I've never had trouble keeping my 120 lb.
    Yeah. Night shift killed me. Slept about 4-5 hours a night for a couple months straight, with the occasional saturday I had off and slept literally 15 hours in one shot. Then I started to get sick, got to the point I had a stomach ache 247. I was just achy, couldn't think right. Every night I'd drive to work, I'd get there and realize I had NO conscious memory of myself driving to work. I could of ran every single light red and not of remembered it when I got there. My grades were slipping, I was on academic probation. I said **** it. I took a month off from work and quit school.

Enrolled at a new school, got straight A's which I've never had in my life, and now I'm trying to get rid of the smallish tummy I developed from the bigmacs I lived off of when I was on night shift. Also, I got switched to part time day shift. So now I just work weekends and wednesdays, and school mon/tues/thurs/fri. Good schedule.

nice turnaround, blue

I totally stuff my face. But at home, it's all wholesome parent-made food. As a child I never had many sweets and preferred fruits and veggies from the garden, so I'm actually on what a lot of people would think of as a diet, but for me it seems like land of plenty.

BUT then I moved in with this landlady who made me HUGE dinners that were always horrible and fatty, and I always felt obliged to not waste it. So that's where the 10 lbs came from.. that, and late nights at college with the vending machine down the hall. This year, I moved in with two girlfriends from college. None of us really knows how to cook that well, but it's a lot better than last year. Though now, I can blame any weight gain on the pill. Hah!

anachronistic Guest
    have sex yet ti?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast