+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why?: For the first time in history, more single women than married women in US

Why?: For the first time in history, more single women than married women in US

earthtimes.org/articles/show/20884.html

NEW YORK, Jan. 16

A new report says 51 percent of women in the United States are living without a husband.

A New York Times analysis of census results found that in 2001, more than half of U.S. women said they were living without a husband, compared to 35 percent in 1950 and 49 percent in 2000, the newspaper said.

The newspaper said women are marrying later or living with unmarried partners. Women are also living longer as widows and delaying remarriage after a divorce, the report said.

The Census Bureau said only 30 percent of black women are living with a spouse, compared with 49 percent of Hispanic women, 55 percent of non-Hispanic white women and more than 60 percent of Asian women.

expect that number to increase drastically in the next 10-20 yrs. A lot of men are wising up and saying "no" to marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    expect that number to increase drastically in the next 10-20 yrs. A lot of men are wising up and saying "no" to marriage.
    yep

[url]http://www.myspace.com/83163164[/url]

Not only men are saying "no" to marriage, but the whole thing with marriage is changing. It is no longer a "requirement", but an option. If I do get married I know I am going to have a prenup. Say what you want, but I rather have that then go thru a nasty divorce where I have to give up half of what I owe, and if the kids are under 18 there is a 90% chance that my ex-wife will get them. I rather have a paper that makes it smoother if the marriage does end.

well that would depend on what the ratio is for men.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think women are feeling less pressured to marry the first guy who is willing. Financial independence will do that to a girl.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Multiple reasons. First, the percentage in that article is skewed due to sub-groups within the population who have a significantly lower rate of marriage (read the whole article). Secondly, marriage isn't necessary on many levels...a) people cohabitate; b) technology and relative wealth mean that a household can be run alone; c) you don't need each other to raise a child (used to be only married people could adopt a child. Also, an overlooked fact...but there are over 1 million people in jail (most of them are men) are out of the dating pool. Yes, this alters the statistics.

The earlier comment about guys "wising up." Okay, perhaps there are guys (and women, too) who just don't enjoy the company of the opposite sex--they're not gay, but they just don't like living with another person due to political generalizations (e.g., women are feminists and aggressive; or, men are rutting stinky pigs who cheat and abuse).

I want to get married, but we live in a world of luxury. These days, I can say (as most of us can), "if the right one comes along, otherwise no" That is a luxury afforded us by a decadent society.

CAM says:

"The earlier comment about guys "wising up." Okay, perhaps there are guys (and women, too) who just don't enjoy the company of the opposite sex--they're not gay, but they just don't like living with another person due to political generalizations (e.g., women are feminists and aggressive; or, men are rutting stinky pigs who cheat and abuse)."

I'm sure the people you described exist, but please understand they comprise a very small percentage of the population. I believe a huge reason why marriage is on the decline is b/c many guys are starting to realize that marriage is too risky. Who do you think is responsible for the proposal 99% of the time? Men. If I told you "in order for us to be friends, you have to sign a contract saying that if our friendship doesn't work out then I'm entitled to half your assets, the house and alimony," you would think I'm crazy. Yet this is exactly the type of agreement that guys enter during marriage. It's no wonder that millions of men are now turning to pre-nups or not getting married at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think women are feeling less pressured to marry the first guy who is willing. Financial independence will do that to a girl.
    I don't think it is just money it self, even tho this does play a key role on the female side tho, but there are other things that are taking in effect. Like men are waking up like NeoSeminole said, and females are now making closer or as much or more than their male counterparts. I also think the fact that people are more okay with them selfs being single in their 30's, 40's, 50's etc, where before you where looked at oddly if you where not married by the age of 30. And the fact that people are living longer may play into this.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's no wonder that millions of men are now turning to pre-nups or not getting married at all.

And yet the article isn't about MEN not living with their spouse; it's about women. Admit it Neo - there really aren't that many men who never marry, which leads me to suspect that the longer life span of a woman plays a role.

Also, the title of this thread is a bit misleadinig. The study says there are more women living without a husband - NOT that there are more unmarried women (or men).
    Last edited by vashti; 17-01-07 at 09:51 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eh, whatever.

Doesn't bother me none.

Take 1.3 million men out of the equation (they're in jail). As someone else said, women live longer (the widow factor). Also, the data indicate that only 30 percent of African-American women are married--that has to be factored into the explanation.

Neo-, you are far too young to be that cynical about women. I'll be honest, I'm skeptical about relationships these days, but I'm self-assured enough to know that the pool of women who'd be compatible with me is very small and I might as well go on living my life and hopefully she and I will meet one day. If not, I've got no reason to settle for anything other than the compatible mate. And, spend time figuring out what you want out of yourself and out of a mate...take the negative energy of hatred and turn it to something positive.

But, if you go into anything on a defensive mode (like you indicate), then you can will and future relationship to failure through the attitude.

Me? Hey, I'm in my 30's and unmarried. A few years ago, I fell in love with a European girl of the same heritage as myself. Didn't work out in the long run (long distance is always trouble), but know what I learned? First, I learned that there was someone out there for me. Second, I was going to be al ot happier with someone of a similar ethnicity to myself and that was going to take a lot of time to find and may require moving elsewhere. Third, I discovered that there was a huge difference between the typical (not all, mind you) American women and the rest of the world and that was refreshing.

There's a lot of fish in the sea Neo- and if you don't like what you see in a particular setting, then look elsewhere. What you find desirable exists out there, somewhere on the planet.

Instead of getting angry and frustrated, think about this old saying: "If you don't like what you get, then you'd better get what you like."

American women are changing. There's definitely a post-feminist movement afoot. Many women are rejecting their Boomer mom's mantras. So keep your eyes open and don't be blinded with anger.

This situation reflects indeed lots of changes, including changes in attitude, belief, financial power.
    The right research should go for the number, the duration and the quality of our love relationships. Because I feel that people connect with themselves AND with each other extremely hard today.
    [URL="http://www.theneedforlove.com"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL] [URL="http://www.theneedforlove.com/blog"]COOL Valentine's Day E-Cards on this blog[/URL]

vashti says:

"Admit it Neo - there really aren't that many men who never marry, which leads me to suspect that the longer life span of a woman plays a role."

that's why I said expect that number to increase drastically in the next 10-20 yrs.

CAM, girls are rubbish. I wouldn't say that I'm being cynical. I'm just being realistic. I've met only a handful that I could really see myself being happy with. This is not a result of being picky as I'm lenient in the looks department. I just want a girl who is mature, funny, remotely attractive and has good moral fiber. Too many girls nowadays are dumb, psychotic, sluts, immature and/or boring. I've pretty much gotten used to the idea of being alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast