+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe the "feeling"

I am really glad I am this thread. Look at all the different opinions and ideas of love. Now after reading all of them I think there is one description we can ALL agree on.

Love is a STRONG feeling for another that is favorable.

Don't you think? I think the only thing that still may be kind of not liked by some in that is the part that says "for another"...maybe

So her goes mine. I think love is when the heart races faster then anything else, everything around becomes a blur. It is mutual (at least at start). It may be referred to as Euphoria and lust but feelings are so intense that it is hard to resist thought of the individual. I think this feeling at first may be even stronger then a bond as I have thought of having no problem of sacraficing my own life for the other individual, I can't think of any better sacrafice then that. It may die after a few years according to people's experience but I don't think eternal lasting was ever on the menu of love. I think love is like life "short but sweet".

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Love really differs from person to person, and there isn't much commonground for us to agree on.
    Maybe so, I think my point with thread was hoping to do that. Too find some common ground. I like your idea of love being a kind of insperation.
    Last edited by The Great OV!!!; 23-01-07 at 07:24 AM.
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/love9sick][/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/83163164[/url]

We all feel a intense feeling of longing for that other person. We all get butterflies when were completely taken by that intense feeling. But after so long that feeling goes away no matter what you do. Eventually it dies and your left with something else. Now what do we do when that feeling goes away? Since its simply a matter of time, what do you do to prepare for its loss? When its gone most people leave. Is love really that intense euphoric feeling that last for a year or more sometimes or is it what comes after? Or maybe its both? Its just frustrating to me.. because of the fact that it will always eventually go away.
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great OV!!! View Post
    So her goes mine. I think love is when the heart races faster then anything else, everything around becomes a blur. It is mutual (at least at start). It may be referred to as Euphoria and lust but feelings are so intense that it is hard to resist thought of the individual. I think this feeling at first may be even stronger then a bond as I have thought of having no problem of sacraficing my own life for the other individual, I can't think of any better sacrafice then that. It may die after a few years according to people's experience but I don't think eternal lasting was ever on the menu of love. I think love is like life "short but sweet".
    Adrenaline maybe? Instead of Euphoria I mean. You should check out the song bold as love by the great jimi.

If it dies, also, it wasn't really love, son. Love doesn't die. It doesn't fail. I believe that love is a mark that we leave behind, when we leave this place called earth. Love is forever.

AND just because you aren't together, doesn't mean it isn't love. Most people don't realize this.

AND just because you aren't together, doesn't mean it isn't love. Most people don't realize this.
    It would be good if more people did. Excelent point.

I do think it is somewhat indescribable. But i'll try anyways. First of all, there's chemistry, and I don't just mean getting turned on. It's getting a total chemical rush from seeing them. It makes touching their hand feel magic, both mentally and physically. It's holding hands and feeling as though you're linked on a level much deeper than skin.
    I lot of people would now say, ahh, that's just infatuation/crush/etc, not love. But I hold that those feelings are part of it, though not the "deepest" part.
    The brain is flooded in monamines (dopamine, norepinephrine... and serotonin plummets) in the "falling in love" stage. It makes us excited and happy, and associates those feelings with the person. (dopamine is also activated by cocaine). Sweaty palms, lack of concentration (ie, thinking of nothing else but the person), butterflies, etc, are all signs of this.

This is also where a lot of people fail to make the jump to the next stage, and instead have a series of short relationships to get to that chemical high.

We can't stay drugged up forever, so eventually that rush fades and hopefully there is a strong enough bond to keep the couple together. We get the hormones Oxytocin and Vasopressin instead. They basically.. encourage monogamy. This is where a couple is attached to each other, accept each others flaws, etc. As vashti says, love is what is left over after infatuation dies. I think the chemical rush part is also part of the love process, if you will, but this later stage is indeed the truest, most meaningful and long-lasting stage.

Oxytocin is released during child birth, helping to create a strong bond with the newborn. I bet anybody who's given birth should know how amazing it feels to hold the baby right afterwards.
    Oxytocin is also released during orgasm, so yes.. sex keeps the bond going.
    I know less about Vasopressin, except that there was an experiment with voles (who are monogamous, and interestingly, they have way more sex that is actually required for reproduction). It was found that the hormone is linked to life-long mating, and that when the voles were given something to suppress it, they lost their devotion and the male did not defend the female from other males.
    Last edited by Tiay; 23-01-07 at 10:56 AM.

Love is the feeling you have for another you care about like nobody else. Love is the feeling that makes you try and do things you never would have done without it. Love is like a drug that distracts you, It is also the actions done through the loving of the other person.

as a kid once said, as i read somewhere. (paraphrased a bit from memory) Love is when my grandfather rubs cream on my grandmothers feet because she has arthritis even though he does to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    I do think it is somewhat indescribable. But i'll try anyways. First of all, there's chemistry, and I don't just mean getting turned on. It's getting a total chemical rush from seeing them. It makes touching their hand feel magic, both mentally and physically. It's holding hands and feeling as though you're linked on a level much deeper than skin.
    I lot of people would now say, ahh, that's just infatuation/crush/etc, not love. But I hold that those feelings are part of it, though not the "deepest" part.
    The brain is flooded in monamines (dopamine, norepinephrine... and serotonin plummets) in the "falling in love" stage. It makes us excited and happy, and associates those feelings with the person. (dopamine is also activated by cocaine). Sweaty palms, lack of concentration (ie, thinking of nothing else but the person), butterflies, etc, are all signs of this.

This is also where a lot of people fail to make the jump to the next stage, and instead have a series of short relationships to get to that chemical high.

We can't stay drugged up forever, so eventually that rush fades and hopefully there is a strong enough bond to keep the couple together. We get the hormones Oxytocin and Vasopressin instead. They basically.. encourage monogamy. This is where a couple is attached to each other, accept each others flaws, etc. As vashti says, love is what is left over after infatuation dies. I think the chemical rush part is also part of the love process, if you will, but this later stage is indeed the truest, most meaningful and long-lasting stage.

Oxytocin is released during child birth, helping to create a strong bond with the newborn. I bet anybody who's given birth should know how amazing it feels to hold the baby right afterwards.
    I know less about Vasopressin, except that there was an experiment with voles (who are monogamous, and interestingly, they have way more sex that is actually required for reproduction). It was found that the hormone is linked to life-long mating, and that when the voles were given something to suppress it, they lost their devotion and the male did not defend the female from other males.

Wow!, I think she takes the trophy here people. By the way, I agree. Although I have never felt the "afterwards" part...only the rush itself. This is why I am training to be a biologist...so one day...ONE DAY!...I shall control this feeling!

I don't know how to describe it, but I know its the best feeling I have ever felt in my life. Its the only feeling that has made me feel willing to give my life on the spot for a god damn high school girl. Its the feeling that makes you want to die when you lose it. Its something so precious that its beauty is only matched with nature itself. Its the utter devotion to the happiness of a person. Its sacrifice. Its caring about another more than yourself.

Its the best and the worst. Its invisible and powerful. It gives purpose and takes purpose. It creates life and death. It is the very essence of life in every breath. Love.

You can live without it, or can you? What would the world be like without love? Love single handedly makes life worth living. Its a violin in the background of your mind when your kissing her soft cheek. Its what makes you cry at the mere touch of her skin. Its something so powerful it will bring you to your knees if you let it. If you let it take you away, your not coming back for a long time. Its the extremes of life in one feeling.

Its music, family, hope, the sky and my heart. Its everything.

One thing is for sure, once you feel it... You won't forget it.

--Zach
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I don't know how to describe it, but I know its the best feeling I have ever felt in my life. Its the only feeling that has made me feel willing to give my life on the spot for a god damn high school girl. Its the feeling that makes you want to die when you lose it. Its something so precious that its beauty is only matched with nature itself. Its the utter devotion to the happiness of a person. Its sacrifice. Its caring about another more than yourself.

Its the best and the worst. Its invisible and powerful. It gives purpose and takes purpose. It creates life and death. It is the very essence of life in every breath. Love.

You can live without it, or can you? What would the world be like without love? Love single handedly makes life worth living. Its a violin in the background of your mind when your kissing her soft cheek. Its what makes you cry at the mere touch of her skin. Its something so powerful it will bring you to your knees if you let it. If you let it take you away, your not coming back for a long time. Its the extremes of life in one feeling.

Its music, family, hope, the sky and my heart. Its everything.

One thing is for sure, once you feel it... You won't forget it.

--Zach

Damn, I don't have enough trophies left! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    I dunno...sounds like a lot of trouble to me. I'm not so sure I'm eager to find out. Infatuation is bad enough. You're all making love out to sound like a royal all-consuming pain in the ass. I think I might always be too afraid of letting go like that, the way you're all talking.
    Aegis. You can shelter yourself forever, and Im not saying there is anything wrong with that. But if you ever do allow yourself to be taken away by it.. I don't think you will regret it. Good or Bad. Learning is fun, and Love will humble you. Sincere love that is.

--Zach

love is doing the best for someone else even if it's the worst for you

zach, that was absolutely the most amazing description. You know, I used to think love was just one thing among many that could happen in life. I would've called your post corny. But really, it is the essence.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post

I stopped reading after "The brain is flooded with..." because #1 it doesn't make sense, since I am not very smart when it comes to science, and #2 it would destroy my world, how I see things and I would be very depressed. Why? Because I want to live in a magical world, where love just happens and not care how or why

I stopped reading after "The brain is flooded with..." because #1 it doesn't make sense, since I am not very smart when it comes to science, and #2 it would destroy my world, how I see things and I would be very depressed. Why? Because I want to live in a magical world, where love just happens and not care how or why
    lol, another blue pill taker. I learned alot about chemical release in the brain during infatuation/limerence/love...but I still think it is "magical". The feeling it self is unbelievable and worth living for...to bad it has not happened to me in 8 years . Either way, people called it infautaion/limerence because just like you they want the real "love" to stay magical.

I agree, OV. Just because I can see the biological reasons, does not mean I'm cold hearted about love, or that I can't feel the magic of it. Knowing the names of chemicals and hormones and their function does not devalue love. To me, it shows how amazing the workings of the mind are.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast