+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Job Advice in the Love Advice Section

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Job Advice in the Love Advice Section

Okay, here's the deal.

I just got back from an interview to work at Office Depot (yay...), these people were desperate, that this lady was ready to hire me on the spot. Thing is though, when we started to discuss availability, normally I'm thinking "yeah, I could totally work night and weekends".

But then I hesitated.

The only time I would ever be able to see Amy is on weekends.

So I inquired about the weekends, said I wasn't sure about them for school reasons. She said specifically that everybody had to work at least one day of the weekend.

Shit.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

I'm about ready to give up this job opportunity.

Granted I could just go to work at this shitty place and start rakin' in the pay (only 7.50 anyway), but I don't need to hurt my reputation by pullin' somethin' where I quit or get fired because I want to take off and I can't.

That place was already short staffed and she was very adamant about my specific availability.

I don't have problems work nights and weekends. I really don't.

Or at least I didn't...until now.

Part of me is slapping me in the face right now, tellin' me to get a grip, and that I need to start bringing in the money consistently. Not to suggest I'm tight on it or anything.

I know at my old job GameStop, the scheduling was very very flexible.

I'm considering going back to that if I can.

I'm also considering other work opportunities where the demand isn't so high.

I don't see Amy that much...what an understatement that is...anyway, I don't see her that much to begin with, I would virtually end up seeing her almost not at all if I commit myself to a job like that, on top of me starting tech school full time in March.

Is it ridiculous that I'm putting that want/need above money?
    Last edited by Junket; 19-02-07 at 10:41 PM.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Everyone works one day a weekend EVERY weekend? No exceptions? That's bullshit. I wouldn't be willing to work there. Did you press the issue at all or was she adamant? I'd look elsewhere. If they aren't willing to give their employees a weekend off now and then they deserve to be understaffed. Try landing a job at Wal-mart. It's a horrible place to work for a living, but if all you're looking for is a bullshit little job to line your pockets with spending money, Wallyworld ain't half bad. Pay starts at 7.50. You'll have to work most weekends, but not every single goddamned one. Plus if you can land a job in Electronics, where I worked, they start you off 40-50 cents higher and the majority of your workload involves customer interaction. Let the other pukes do all the real work.

Couldn't you trade, and work both weekend days for someone in exchange for the same favor on an Amy weekend? If management won't allow that, it starts to make sense why they're so desperate.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Is it ridiculous that I'm putting that want/need above money?
    It depends on really on your situation with your needs and your wants. Because not taking care of your needs is stupid in my view. If you need money to meet your needs then get a job, even if it sucks. I understand your huge want to see Amy, but you can't have all of your wants all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Everyone works one day a weekend EVERY weekend? No exceptions? That's bullshit.
    The place I now work at, requires us to work 2 weekends and at least 6 days per month. But then I am getting 9.50 per hour as well. And if that store requires that schedule to work there then that is what is need to work there. If Frasbee does not like it then he can look for another place to work at.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by jurupa View Post
    but you can't have all of your wants all the time.
    Obviously, considering I see her once every 2 or 3 months...

Anyway, I'm gonna pass that job up.

I spoke to my old boss at GameStop, and I'm gonna be seein' him sometime today to discuss my options. I'm not broke or desperate for cash, I just need somethin' to keep me afloat while I go to school. I've been working under the table for some lady the past few weeks makes 150 to 200 dollars a day.

I just need something flexible so when I decide to see Amy it's not some huge deal, y'know?

Me and Ames had a long discussion yesterday when I told her about this.

It's a long story, but basically, she worries so much about me making decisions with her in mind, she doesn't want me to regret them later. Thing is, with that mind set of being so objectional, she's withholding what's important to me, her feelings. I don't want the cold hard facts. I can find them everywhere else. I'm looking for how she feels. Know what I mean?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Working under the table for some lady, huh? And for two hundred bucks a pop? I ought to tell Ames on you.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Working under the table for some lady, huh? And for two hundred bucks a pop? I ought to tell Ames on you.
    Ew, dude.

Just ew.

Why does everybody keep joking about that?!

BLEH!