+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Screw it

Screw it

I have basically come to a point of saying the hell with dating and just remain single and work on becoming successful in the business word. Because that seems to be the only thing really going for me anyway, and it is something I can actually become good at. Unlike dating, which doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon or in the future.

Yes I have asked girls out and got rejected. Yes I have talked to girls only to find out they are taken or are single moms. Or I try to talk to girls and something comes up to stop it from happening. I know I am young, but it seems no matter what I do nothing seems to work, so screw it. It is most probably better for me to focus my attention to things that actually work out or can work out for me, like business stuff.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It seems like when you stop looking, that's when you find him/her...
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I have never seen a forum so full of people throwing tantrums.

EVERYONE: Life's not all that hard. Really. Look at all the retards that manage to muddle through. I think the main problem is people directing all their focus inwards. Starting thread after thread about yourself a day is madness and that kind of self-absorption is a sure fire route to depression. Listen to me: I speak the truth.

[url]http://www.globalrichlist.com/[/url]

Try that for a quick slap of reality

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    It seems like when you stop looking, that's when you find him/her...
    Heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy View Post
    I have never seen a forum so full of people throwing tantrums.
    Uh I am not having a tantrum, but more throwing the towel as I basically given up. Now if I was to post a "book" ranting and raving then ya I would be having an "e-tantrum".

EVERYONE: Life's not all that hard. Really.
    Tell that to the people in Africa, or where Katrina hit. Some people have life easer than others. Some are luckier than others, that is just how life is. To say that life is not that hard is like me saying females are actually really easy to understand.

Look at all the retards that manage to muddle through. I think the main problem is people directing all their focus inwards. Starting thread after thread about yourself a day is madness and that kind of self-absorption is a sure fire route to depression. Listen to me: I speak the truth.
    I agree to a certain extent actually.

I was talking about people in the developed world, obviously. Life for the world's poor is horiffic. For them real suffering is part of day to day life - a basic fact of existence. For the rich, suffering - any suffering - stings like an injustice. The less suffering people have in their lives the less they're able to endure. If humans could live with privilige and comfort but hold on to the perspective of the poor....

Bah, it's all relative. I, by no means, will ever make light of any problems I have - or anyone else - simply based on the fact that we live in the first world. Sure, the fact that I have a car is considered a "luxury" in many places, but I'm still going to bitch when I get a flat tire that strands me out in the middle of nowhere. Abject poverty is a reality, it always will be a reality, and as much as I feel for those in certain countries who have little to nothing - that still doesn't mean I don't have the right to feel bad when things annoy me or piss me off or hurt me. I'm a staunch opponent of wealth envy and capitalist guilt.

On to this guy's complaint, I don't disagree with his plan. I'd advise anyone to focus on themselves and what they can do to make their lives more stable, productive and happy in their own right. Only when you have a solid, strong foundation in yourself can you build any real relationship atop it.

Not to be trite, but men and women are attracted to confidence, stability, a person who's generally happy, etc. Who honestly wants to date someone who is insecure, or constantly depressed, or who has skewed priorities? Take care of yourself and your life, and you'll be surprised who notices your progress.

[url]http://www.globalrichlist.com/[/url]

Try that for a quick slap of reality
    Uh that is in accurate. For one its base on data from 2003. The US dollar is much weaker now and inflation is higher than in 2003.

I was talking about people in the developed world, obviously.
    Charlie, you do remember Katrina right?

Glyph - Yes but what I'm saying is it's that kind of self absorbed lack of perspective that leads to high anxiety levels and depression. America and Australia are two of the most highly developed countries in the world but suffer epidemics of depression and anxiety. The consumption of drugs that "treat" these problems is mind-blowing.

I'm not saying don't gripe if you get a flat tyre or if you're feeling a bit single and lonely. I'm saying to put that problem in context.
    Last edited by Charlie Boy; 21-03-07 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jurupa View Post
    Uh that is in accurate. For one its base on data from 2003. The US dollar is much weaker now and inflation is higher than in 2003.

I was talking about people in the developed world, obviously.
    Charlie, you do remember Katrina right?

WTF has Hurricane Katrina go to do with anything? Are you in the middle of a hurricane right now and that is somehow connected with your little rant above???

Quote Originally Posted by Glyph View Post
    Bah, it's all relative. I, by no means, will ever make light of any problems I have - or anyone else - simply based on the fact that we live in the first world. Sure, the fact that I have a car is considered a "luxury" in many places, but I'm still going to bitch when I get a flat tire that strands me out in the middle of nowhere. Abject poverty is a reality, it always will be a reality, and as much as I feel for those in certain countries who have little to nothing - that still doesn't mean I don't have the right to feel bad when things annoy me or piss me off or hurt me. I'm a staunch opponent of wealth envy and capitalist guilt.
    I agree totally with this. People will always want what some else has.

On to this guy's complaint, I don't disagree with his plan. I'd advise anyone to focus on themselves and what they can do to make their lives more stable, productive and happy in their own right. Only when you have a solid, strong foundation in yourself can you build any real relationship atop it.
    You could consider I have that solid foundation for a college student. As I have a part time job, a car, going to school full time, and have a career path pretty much laid out for me.

Not to be trite, but men and women are attracted to confidence, stability, a person who's generally happy, etc. Who honestly wants to date someone who is insecure, or constantly depressed, or who has skewed priorities? Take care of yourself and your life, and you'll be surprised who notices your progress.
    I agree. But if you focus to much on your self and your life your going to not see that girl that took notice of you and wonder if you stop and took the time to look around every once awhile if you would have seen that girl that did took notice while you where making your way to the top of the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by jurupa View Post
    I agree. But if you focus to much on your self and your life your going to not see that girl that took notice of you and wonder if you stop and took the time to look around every once awhile if you would have seen that girl that did took notice while you where making your way to the top of the ladder.
    I don't know that I agree with this. If a person is truly interested, they'll make it known. I'm not saying make yourself a workaholic who is completely closed off to the outside world. But don't be one of the ones who feel as if his life is meaningless without a relationship. I have a couple of friends who are like that, and they're never happy because they believe the only key to happiness is a relationship.

Relationships take effort, energy, time . . . and you'll have to divide those amongst the other important things in your life. What's easier - climbing to the top of the mountain alongside someone without taking up all their slack, or climbing that same mountain whilst carrying someone on your back?

Get where you're going (or a good bit of the way there), then stop and admire the scenery. Your vantage point will be a lot clearer.

Nice metaphor. Shit advice.

WTF has Hurricane Katrina go to do with anything? Are you in the middle of a hurricane right now and that is somehow connected with your little rant above???
    Not at all. It was directed to your post saying life is not that hard. One would think a country like the US would be able to get the people that where effected by the hurricane get back on their feet, and yet it is still a mess down there. Ya there is a lot of things involved, mostly political, but I would say the people living in that mess have a harder life than me. I am not saying my life is easy or harder compare to them by any means.

Glyph - I agree relationships are not everything. But they most certainly be part of happiness.

Glyph - Yes but what I'm saying is it's that kind of self absorbed lack of perspective that leads to high anxiety levels and depression. America and Australia are two of the most highly developed countries in the world but suffer epidemics of depression and anxiety. The consumption of drugs that "treat" these problems is mind-blowing.

I'm not saying don't gripe if you get a flat tyre or if you're feeling a bit single and lonely. I'm saying to put that problem in context.
    I'd much rather live with anxiety and guilt - and even have a nation of people gobbling meds for it - than to live in cultures where kids as young as five or six are doing heavy manual labour or who are married off to men twice their ages or more when they've barely hit puberty.

"Someone somewhere's got it worse than me" has never helped me and most likely never will. Even in our developed country, people with AIDS or cancer or on the welfare line have it worse than me. People from all economic classes within this nation could be diagnosed as clinically depressed. If we held people from underdeveloped nations to the same ruler, they'd have a shitload of pedophiles, battered wives, and severely depressed individuals, as I can't see anything more depressing than barely fruitful, backbreaking labour for the rest of my short-lived days.

What people are doing elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on me. The key isn't to think of how bad others have it; it's to prioritise and not put so much stock on relationships. Our culture puts so much emphasis on the nuclear family, getting married, wife and kids - I doubt much of the population ever even stops to consider if that's really what they want, or if that's just what they're told to want. People don't think of themselves enough, basically. Not in a selfish, "I want what I want when I want it" kind of way, but in a healthy "what do I need and want in life?" way.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast