+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grammar bashing and such

anachronistic Guest

grammar bashing and such

nobody types perfect. we're not word processors, we're human beings. i know that at times, new users tend to be ridiculous in the way they organize their posts; lack of proper punctuation, paragraph formation, e-slang, and many other grammatical things can cause great frustration to anyone who intends to give advice.

i've noticed that quite a few users who join our board are not native english speakers. our loveadmin doesn't even natively speak english. this makes communicating to us more difficult to them, but they're making an attempt. they're trying to get the point across, and we native english speakers need to respect that. if you need to walk on their shoes, go to a foreign board, and try to get help from them! it's harder than you'd think.

quite a few users who join are also in the teenage range. i joined this board, as well as a few other regulars, as a teenager. teens often use e-slang and tend to have lots of grammatical errors. hell, i didn't capitalize anything. that probably frustrates a few people. these teens are going through difficult times, and although their troubles seem ridiculous to us, they don't see them that way. we should be posting in a way that makes them see through our eyes, should we not?

and it really doesn't matter if their teens or foreigners, lazy, fat, smart, stupid, half-baked, or wahtever. they're newcomers, they need our advice, and we should give it to them. that's what i'm here for. that's what WE should be here for.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So, what are you trying to say?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    So, what are you trying to say?
    to ignore all the grammatical mistakes and read it anyways, or not post anything.

and along with this to post a sticky with an eye-catching short notice that says "the more organized your post is, the more likely it is that you'll get responses"

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    and it really doesn't matter if (1)their teens or foreigners, lazy, fat, smart, stupid, half-baked, or (2)wahtever. they're newcomers, they need our advice, and we should give it to them. that's what i'm here for. that's what WE should be here for.
    (1) *they're
    (2) *whatever

It doesn't annoy me, it's just that it's funny for me. You're the one making yourself look like a dolt.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    (1) *they're
    (2) *whatever

It doesn't annoy me, it's just that it's funny for me. You're the one making yourself look like a dolt.
    well ofcourse it's funny to you. people like me care less about grammar unless i am writing a formal letter, which i proofread. i do occasionally skim through what i type but don't catch every little mistake.

to tell you the truth, i'm quite happy with the way i type, and the only thing that makes reading difficult is the paragraph organization.

anachronistic Guest
    if i can do it, so can you.

typing things like 'haha if you read that' only make you as lazy as the person that typed the post.

well (1)ofcourse it's funny to you. people like me care less about grammar unless i am writing a formal letter, which i proofread. i do occasionally skim through what i type but don't catch every little mistake.

to tell you the truth, i'm quite happy with the way i type, and the only thing that makes reading difficult is the paragraph organization.
    (1) *of course

anachronistic Guest
    haha, that was a cute picture. but let's keep this thread on topic.

I wouldn't go on a foreign board because I wouldn't be able to speak their language. If they come on here and can barely speak the language of the board , then they shouldn't come on here. Same goes for e-slang. If you're so retarded that you can't even type properly when you try then that's their problem.

It'd be like me joining the army and going "respect my rights as a pacifist!"
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

anachronistic Guest
    the foreigners who visit this forum can speak english. just not perfectly.

saying foreigners are not welcome here is discrimination. and e-slang isn't (always) a matter of can and can't.

if you can understand them, why give them shit?

and this is farhtest from the army, son. this forum is made for people who want love advice, not grammatical corrections (which by the way, i'm member of a forum that exclusively helps german people with their english)

just don't tell them 'hey your english sucks', because they're probably aware of it. lots of long posts are generally typed up in a hurry, which is why they're not organized.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If people can't be bothered to use decent grammar why should I be bothered to pick through their garbage? I'm not asking for perfection. Avoid run-on sentences. Break up your paragraphs. Capitalize your letters. Is that so much to ask? It doesn't take me one second longer to do it.

I will make all manner of concessions for people who aren't native English speakers. I have never ragged on one of them about grammar.

It's the 22-year-old Americans with the run-on sentences that turn into a nine-inch paragraph that bother me.

If i'm gonna see nine inches, I don't want it to be text with no punctuation.
    Spammer Spanker

Oh no she dih'nt

and this is farhtest from the army, son. this forum is made for people who want love advice, not grammatical corrections
    That is the worst excuse you could've come up with for e-slangers. Because what that says is that they're not here to speak english, they're not here to communicate accurately, and that they don't actually care enough about what they're saying to take the extra 30 seconds to use proper grammar and spelling. They don't all have to be a Poet Laureate, but capitalization, periods, and actually having paragraphs goes a long way.

For the record, even though the foreign thing can bother me, you've never seen me rag on them for it. Only the e-retards
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

I agree with Ben, Jiggly Giggly, and Spiffy.

anachronistic Guest
    oh for **** sake. i might as well stick my foot in my mouth to get a point across.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast