+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Films?

i dont know... that's a good question tho, i'll check it up

Beautiful Films?

This thread is dedicated to masterfully crafted films. They don't have to be the best, or the more famous, but i ask you, out of all the films you have seen, which ones touched you the most with their stories, wit, or beautiful camera shots?

Here are some of mine:
    -Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind (by Charlie Kaufman and Michel Gondry)
    -Children of Men (by Alfonso Cuarón)
    -Platoon (by Oliver Stone)
    -The Lion King (by Walt Disney Feature Animation)

To name a few. I have so many other films i like which are lost in thought, but feel free to share some of your own personal preferences

And if you're wondering why The Lion King is in there, it's because im a sucker for the film, i really enjoyed watching it

The better place at the end of your dreams

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have loved a LOT of movies, but the one that is popping into my head at the moment is "The Bicycle Thief", which is an old foreign film set in post-WWII Italy. There are certainly many, many mre.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Great! Be sure to post them when you get the chance

The Usual Suspects is a perfect movie.
    Spammer Spanker

i agree, that movie was wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn View Post
    You just gained an assload of cool points for those.

-Pan's Labyrinth
    -Chocolat
    -Babel
    -A Scanner Darkly
    -The Nightmare Before Christmas
    -Princess Mononoke
    -Magnolia
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Platoon? I've never met a girl that's seen that flick, let alone enjoyed it. You are awesome.

Let's see...

The Seven Samurai. 50's Japanese Samurai flick that more or less defined the Western genre from then on. Clint Eastwood drew much of his inspiration from this and other such films.

The Samurai Trilogy. Star Wars, the Man with no Name, all inspired by this wonderful Japanese classic.

The Outlaw Josey Wales. "Are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?" "Dying' ain't no way to make a livin'." So many excellent quotes. Clint Eastwood spitting tobacco on his enemies' corpses. Greatest western ever.

The Man with no Name trilogy (For a Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars more, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)

Unforgiven

Fullmetal Jacket

Goodfellas

The Godfather

The Maltese Falcon... hell, anything with Humphrey Bogart.

Anything directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

Okay, so there's a pattern. I like emotionless, tight-lipped anti-heroes. What can I say. To hell with the pretty-boy, cry-me-a-river turds that fill the silver screen these days.
    Last edited by Gribble; 17-04-07 at 02:40 AM.

What about George Clooney? Huh?
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Uhhh... he was all right in From Dusk 'til Dawn. And he was really great as a gay dog on South Park.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post

Okay, so there's a pattern. I like emotionless, tight-lipped anti-heroes. What can I say. To hell with the pretty-boy, cry-me-a-river turds that fill the silver screen these days.
    Lately, I am liking the guy that plays the latest James Bond. His level of manliness - both in appearance and demeanor - is very retro.

BTW - I, too, loved Platoon, but I wish they had given the lead to someone besides Charlie Sheen. I think he was the weakest link in the movie.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Flatliners was shot beautifully. The DP on that film did a great job. I also enjoyed some of the really playful camera work in Stranger Than Fiction, which is a Will Ferrell movie that nobody saw. The English Patient was visually beautiful, with the exception of the presence of Ralph Fiennes, who has no chin.

So many things make a film great. I used to think it was all plot, but it isn't. I didn't even notice how much a part of a film music was until I noticed I was annoyed by the overwrought score in a Speilberg movie once. Then I noticed it in every Speilberg movie. Goddamn Speilberg, hitting the audience over the head with the schmaltzy orchestrals.

I loved the music in The Life Aquatic, which was done by Mark Mothersbaugh (sp?), who used to be (still is, I guess) in Devo. I've enjoyed Stuart Copeland's soundtrack work, and Mark Knopffler's, and Danny Elfman's.

Pacing is important, too. Best-paced movie ever: Snatch. Everyone should see this movie.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I haven't seen the new Bond. Nobody can ever replace Sean Connery, but maybe I'll put it on my Netflix queue.

Oooh! Snatch. I love Snatch. The movie ain't so bad neither. Ever see Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? Very similar, although the plot is a bit convoluted. Still, I think I liked it best. Plus it has the two Chris': [url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5UmJS5ZSQqE&mode=related&search=[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn View Post
    This thread is dedicated to masterfully crafted films. They don't have to be the best, or the more famous, but i ask you, out of all the films you have seen, which ones touched you the most with their stories, wit, or beautiful camera shots?

Here are some of mine:
    -Platoon (by Oliver Stone)
    -The Lion King (by Walt Disney Feature Animation)

To name a few. I have so many other films i like which are lost in thought, but feel free to share some of your own personal preferences

And if you're wondering why The Lion King is in there, it's because im a sucker for the film, i really enjoyed watching it
    Très bon.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I haven't seen the new Bond. Nobody can ever replace Sean Connery, but maybe I'll put it on my Netflix queue.
    It's not really my favorite genre, but I believe the new Bond is every bit as good as Connery. Better looking, too.

For me its

Titanic : (What a cool love story.)

High School Musical (A disney flick)

Spiderman (Not for action but for its emotional scenes. With great powers comes great resposibilities.)
    This Post is Sponsored by Quiz_Master aka Ashwin Saxena aka hiddenturbo.

Just Started a blog
    [url]www.ashwinsaxena.tk[/url]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast