+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's it Like Where You Live?

What's it Like Where You Live?

I live in Santa Fe, NM, USA. It's nice. A little slow. Schools aren't great, but it's generally safe and the jerk factor isn't too high. The food's pretty good, unless you're a vegetarian. It's expensive to live here. Type A people would lose their minds here- this is a laid-back place.
    Spammer Spanker

I live in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.

One of the best places in the world...
    The pace of life varies to your lifestyle.
    Schools are average without cafeterias,but what we call "Tuck Shops".Mini food stores.
    The food is brilliant,with things like Chakalaka ( a vegetarian curry ) & Boerewors ( an only South African style sausage ),you can't go wrong.
    Surfers,Businessmen,Comic shops,we got it all here in Cape Town.
    Cape Town AKA The Mother City.

South Africa is unfortunately nothing like what most other individuals think it is.
    Here are a few pointers...

*The only lions & wildlife are in Game Reserves & Zoo's.
    *We have nearly everything from Macdonald's to Hot Air Ballooning.
    *Nice place to visit, better place to enjoy a long visit...
    *We are going to be hosting the Soccer World Cup in 2010.
    *We have a huge diversity of cultures.
    *Vegetarians can survive here,seen as we have health food stores,etc.

Just a handful of facts,so please update your brains folks...

P.S. South Africa has no real affiliations with Zimbabwe or Robert Mugabe.We are a different part of the contenant entirely.So the next time you hear about Zim getting a bad name,it has nothing to do with us...
    Love...The anti-drug.

Get addicted now,because an overdose on love is perfectly legal!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I live in the third safest city for those with populations >100,000. The public schools are excellent. It is very pretty here if you like rolling hills and oak trees (which I do). Our city is interconnected by a paseo system, which is fantastic, and it is a largely upper-middle class area. I think the median home value is around $650,000, and there is a VERY large number of sheriff, police and fire department personnel living here.

However, it is the bible belt of California, so we have loads of overtly religious people here. I went to a district wide public school choral concert a few days ago, and 18 of the 29 songs sung were Jesus-songs. I felt like I was being punished. I want to move somewhere less holier-than-thou. Also, less fake breasts and blonde hair would be nice. I think I want to live in Giga's neighborhood.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think I want to live in Giga's neighborhood.

I don't think you'd like my actual neighborhood. The first murder of the year occured on my street this week, and there was a gang-related shooting the other night right up the street from me.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Damn, nowhere is safe. I like New Mexico. I think I should be a hermit somewhere not too far from a real city so I can go to live theater events and get ethnic food.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

You're welcome to join me in Berkeley this fall. You could be our housegirl.
    Spammer Spanker

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've been living in a different place every semester. Last semester I lived in Northwest DC, in one of the nicest areas in the city. It was like a densely packed suburb, with lots of grass and yards. Best of all, most of my neighbors worked for the Washington Post, so I made several contacts. Very nice thing to have if I ever want to go that route with my career.

Currently I live on Kent Island, a little stepping stone in the Chesapeake. It's connected by two bridges, and route 50 runs right through the middle, so I can get places easily. Very beautiful. The water's a short walk away. The people are great. Best of all, there's a gravel trail that runs the perimeter of the island. It's generally abandoned by people, and crawling with waterfowl, deer, and rabbits. I love jogging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I've been living in a different place every semester.
    I love thinking that you're a kept boy that your professors just pass around like a party favor.
    Spammer Spanker

anachronistic Guest
    i live in south dakota, and the closest town is 20 miles away. the minority in south dakota is the native american folk, and is mildly populated with blacks and hispanics, but mostly white people. south dakota is not very culturally diverse, and it seems as though everyone dresses, acts and thinks the same way here.

there are no trees, the weather gets as cold as -40 fahrenheit and as high as 104, and technology is far behind.

the people here are hard-working and have a very good work ethic, though. there is hardly ever any violence. and if there is, believe it or not, but it's the native americans, who think they're gangstas (no i'm not kidding)

it's legal to own a handgun, and carry concealed weapons here.

the worst part about south dakota is the lack of civilization. sure, it's farm land, but my graduating high school class is made of 26 people.

the land is beautiful, and has wild-roaming horses, buffalo, coyote, deer, and many other critters that you will not see anywhere else.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I love thinking that you're a kept boy that your professors just pass around like a party favor.
    That would be an interesting fantasy... if what few female professors there are weren't a bunch of 70 year old wrinkled prunes. Can't say as I'd mind getting passed around amongst the TA's, though. Mmmm. TA's with lots of T&A.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post

the land is beautiful, and has wild-roaming horses, buffalo, coyote, deer, and many other critters that you will not see anywhere else.
    California has buffalo! They live on Catalina Island and were imported in the 1920's and are allowed to run wild in a natural environment. They don't seem inclined to run, though. They are big, stupid cows with horns.

We have those other animals too. I love California... I just don't love my neighbors.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    California has buffalo! They live on Catalina Island and were imported in the 1920's and are allowed to run wild in a natural environment. They don't seem inclined to run, though. They are big, stupid cows with horns.

We have those other animals too. I love California... I just don't love my neighbors.
    imported probably from south dakota. the animals in south dakota weren't imported. their origin is of here.

you have wild horses in cali?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes - wild horses and burros. Also mountian lions and bears.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Philadelphia is filled with assholes.

In fact, I too am a jerk.

I'm an aggressive driver, a disgruntled employee, and look down upon most any other place in the nation.

Yes, including Texas.

The suburbs are friendly with quiet roads and slow-ass drivers who flock to the nearest police cruiser when I'm near.

The city is wrought with every possible culture and ethnic mix possible. But people aren't afraid to offend each other regardless of the color of your nigger, cracker, chink, or spic. In fact, unlike places like Los Angeles, this city is mixed thoroughly, though you can still find certain groups in certain areas, blacks are all over the place, especially in West and North Philly, south is Italians, NE is a lot of Indians (not Natives) and Russians.

I live just a 5 minutes drive from the 2nd and 3rd most dangerous intersections in the United States, Red Lion Rd and the Roosevelt Blvd, and Grant and the Roosevelt Blvd.

You'll find as many as 6 pizza places all on one block. Anywhere in this area, suburbs included you can get a good cheesesteak. Everywhere sells average steaks, but locals know where to find the good stuff.

Violence is peaking right now, but I'm not afraid of any of the places I frequent. Just avoid North and West Philly, especially at night (there's a lot of poor blacks out that way).

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Philadelphia is filled with assholes.

In fact, I too am a jerk.

I'm an aggressive driver, a disgruntled employee, and look down upon most any other place in the nation.

Yes, including Texas.

The suburbs are friendly with quiet roads and slow-ass drivers who flock to the nearest police cruiser when I'm near.

The city is wrought with every possible culture and ethnic mix possible. But people aren't afraid to offend each other regardless of the color of your nigger, cracker, chink, or spic. In fact, unlike places like Los Angeles, this city is mixed thoroughly, though you can still find certain groups in certain areas, blacks are all over the place, especially in West and North Philly, south is Italians, NE is a lot of Indians (not Natives) and Russians.

I live just a 5 minutes drive from the 2nd and 3rd most dangerous intersections in the United States, Red Lion Rd and the Roosevelt Blvd, and Grant and the Roosevelt Blvd.

You'll find as many as 6 pizza places all on one block. Anywhere in this area, suburbs included you can get a good cheesesteak. Everywhere sells average steaks, but locals know where to find the good stuff.

Violence is peaking right now, but I'm not afraid of any of the places I frequent. Just avoid North and West Philly, especially at night (there's a lot of poor blacks out that way).
    frasbee, i don't think you're a jerk. in fact, you're like my best friend on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast