+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC - Which is better? / Anyone got Vista?

Mac vs PC - Which is better? / Anyone got Vista?

Just found this South Park clip (see below) and was wondering which do people really think is better? Got to be the PC right? Even though Windows is crap.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg[/url]

Anyone got the new Windows Vista? Is it any good? I hear it wouldn't even work with broadband at first!! Is amazing how they can manage to screw up a software system so badly after they've spent so long working on it.
    "Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
    -Rule of Acquisition 76.

anachronistic Guest
    OH MY ****ING GOD.

do you want to know the TRUTH?

just because a computer has macintosh or windows doesn't make it an apple (not mac, mac is the operating system) or a pc.

apple is just a brand that makes computers and computer hardware. a pc is any computer, which is a lot of computers brands such as apple, dell, hp, all the rest of them.

if you don't believe me, get a mac and a pc and open them both up. they are made of the EXACT SAME PARTS!

the reason why mac doesn't run on anything other than apple is because it was programmed for POWERPC processors. the only reason windows runs on 'pcs' is because it was designed for ibm compatible chips, intel and now amd. and now that we got rosetta, you can have whatever you want.

the bottom line is that the computer quality is based on the parts. today, a high quality computer will compute at 3.0 Ghz and operates with 2 gigabytes of RAM while having a 100+ gigabyte hard drive, and a nice nvidia video card. i'd go more indepth but chances are you probably aren't that interested.

as far as OPERATING SYSTEMS (Macintosh OS, Windows, and Linux) if you want to get jiggy with it, both OS and Windows suck. for many reasons, too. linux is compatible across most types of processors, both powerpc amd and intel, and can be made compatible with windows and macintosh software. it's FREE, and it makes up the majority of server operating systems.

anachronistic Guest
    and windows vista isn't much different from windows xp.

here are the basic changes:

requires a better computer

looks better than xp

that's it. don't get it until it costs less.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    OH MY ****ING GOD.

do you want to know the TRUTH?

just because a computer has macintosh or windows doesn't make it an apple (not mac, mac is the operating system) or a pc.

apple is just a brand that makes computers and computer hardware. a pc is any computer, which is a lot of computers brands such as apple, dell, hp, all the rest of them.

if you don't believe me, get a mac and a pc and open them both up. they are made of the EXACT SAME PARTS!

the reason why mac doesn't run on anything other than apple is because it was programmed for POWERPC processors. the only reason windows runs on 'pcs' is because it was designed for ibm compatible chips, intel and now amd. and now that we got rosetta, you can have whatever you want.

the bottom line is that the computer quality is based on the parts. today, a high quality computer will compute at 3.0 Ghz and operates with 2 gigabytes of RAM while having a 100+ gigabyte hard drive, and a nice nvidia video card. i'd go more indepth but chances are you probably aren't that interested.

as far as OPERATING SYSTEMS (Macintosh OS, Windows, and Linux) if you want to get jiggy with it, both OS and Windows suck. for many reasons, too. linux is compatible across most types of processors, both powerpc amd and intel, and can be made compatible with windows and macintosh software. it's FREE, and it makes up the majority of server operating systems.
    Cool. Thanks. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computers I know, but thanks for enlightening me, its good to know this stuff.
    Honestly I never knew a Mac and a PC were basically the same thing, how dumb was I? , But now I know. Thanks.

So Vista is pretty crap then, well barely better than XP. Thought as much. Sweet... Windows still sucks...
    I am interested in computers and how they work and such, but sounds like you've got knowledge and lingo so far beyond my own that you'd lose me after the first sentence. Thanks anyway though, you have to start somewhere.
    "Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
    -Rule of Acquisition 76.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    and windows vista isn't much different from windows xp.

here are the basic changes:

requires a better computer

looks better than xp

that's it. don't get it until it costs less.
    VISTA was a major disappointment.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have Vista on my computer because that's what it came with when I bought it. It pissed me off initially because a lot of stuff wasn't compatible with it.......my internet wouldn't work with it, my antivirus program wouldn't work with it....ugh. It seems fine now. Doesn't blow my mind or anything.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

oh wow, I'm so not getting sucked into this debate. I'm a mac person. the design industry uses macs. Mac, OSX, whatever... BUT, which is "better" depends on what you're doing with it and what you're used to. and thats all i'm saying to that.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Videogames and internet.

Keyword for me is videogames.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    oh wow, I'm so not getting sucked into this debate. I'm a mac person. the design industry uses macs. Mac, OSX, whatever... BUT, which is "better" depends on what you're doing with it and what you're used to. and thats all i'm saying to that.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

i never liked macs, i never will. completely hate the gui. if you like it, sure why not, but i hate how everything is so limited. by the by, did you KNOW that there was an actual terminal on OS? (surprises me completely) it uses a unix like theme. except its tcsh not bash. but there is bash. to tell you the truth, apple is just a limited version of linux.

i programmed wine for photoshop cs3 for ubuntu and i am perfectly content.

here is what the desktop looks like:

my ubuntu computer (20 gig hard drive 600 mhz intel piii processor 256mb of ram) seems to run faster than any apple at my job, EVEN THE SERVER, which has like 4 hard drives of 300 gigs and a 2.6 ghz processor and like 10 gigs of ram. strange huh?

anachronistic Guest
    OH i almost forgot something,

doesn't windows seem to be looking more and more like mac, as well as integrating more and more software with it?

my theory is that windows and macintosh will merge into one operating system. i think that eventually, linux will dominate the operating system world.

anachronistic Guest
    sorry for the multiple posts, but if you want to know about windows vista,

here is a nice video full of all its goodies:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sy2i5FMcI[/url]

i'm almost certain you'll be disappointed.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    lovely!

i never liked macs, i never will. completely hate the gui. if you like it, sure why not, but i hate how everything is so limited.
    for the record, I dislike the limited-ness of it too. It used to be better, it's getting more limited because they're dumbing it down. It badly needs an "I'm not an idiot user, hit me with the works" button.

by the by, did you KNOW that there was an actual terminal on OS? (surprises me completely) it uses a unix like theme. except its tcsh not bash. but there is bash.
    oh my god, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, do you KNOW you're coming off like a jerk?
    and yes, I knew that.

to tell you the truth, apple is just a limited version of linux.
    yup. linux is just too much for most ordinary people. It'd be like getting a fighter jet when all you want is a car. The fighter jet is obviously superior to a car in many ways, but this wont make any car drivers leave their cars!
    Take someone like me; I want to surf, email, organise photos, every-day stuff like that, and run cs2. OSX gives me a simple platform to do all that on, is virus proof and I don't have to know how to code.

i programmed wine for photoshop cs3 for ubuntu and i am perfectly content.

my ubuntu computer (20 gig hard drive 600 mhz intel piii processor 256mb of ram) seems to run faster than any apple at my job, EVEN THE SERVER, which has like 4 hard drives of 300 gigs and a 2.6 ghz processor and like 10 gigs of ram. strange huh?
    mm.. 10 gigs of ram. yummy. Anyway, yeah, that IS strange, maybe there's a reason for it you haven't thought of. I'm no expert so I dunno.
    Anybody who has the skill to pretty much assemble their own computer can make it exactly the way they want it. No other ready-made machine is going to beat that, that's obvious. But not everyone has this skill.

there, now you've made me late for college

I got Vista and I'm happy with it. Like Bluesummer, it come with my PC. It's not a bad OS but I do prefer XP over it due to compatibility issues. But didn't it take 3 years until XP become stable with service pack 2? You just have to give Vista time. But one thing I have noticed is people who bitch about Vista either 1. Never used it before because they're fanboys/girls of other OS's 2. There computer sucks ass too much to run Vista.

Plus, it's fun comparing vista ratings.

EDIT:

3. Cos' Lovetwist just likes to bitch about things.
    Last edited by Kiechi; 14-05-07 at 05:30 PM.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    I got Vista and I'm happy with it. Like Bluesummer, it come with my PC. It's not a bad OS but I do prefer XP over it due to compatibility issues. But didn't it take 3 years until XP become stable with service pack 2? You just have to give Vista time. But one thing I have noticed is people who bitch about Vista either 1. Never used it before because they're fanboys/girls of other OS's 2. There computer sucks ass too much to run Vista.

Plus, it's fun comparing vista ratings.
    Neither of those reasons for me. I just bitch abou Vista, because its great fun bitching aout stuff and Vista is such an easy target. Think its become a tradition almost. Nearly everyone bitches about computers and all things Windows are at the top of the hit list.
    -Rule of Acquisition 76.

Mac is a piece of shit, the only reason they are still alive is because of their gay ass ipood.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast