+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I really need to vent about something. Please read

I really need to vent about something. Please read

I've been thinking alot lately and there seems to be many reasons why my self-confidents is extremely low.

For one thing, I'm not very good at holding up a conversation. The only thing I seem to be good at is asking questions and pretending to be really interested with a respond like "Thats really interesting. Can you tell me more?" or "ah I see. Thats really cool"

Also another thing and this has happened to me my whole life! often times people just won't listen to me and when Im in a big group its just insane. no one pays attention to me. At all.

But I think the reason being is because I talk weird and it sounds like I have this strange accent. I also cannot pronounce everything right. So its like...I have this accent but at the same time talk like a little kid. So its like the way I talk doesn't appeal to people at all!!!

Like sometimes I'll say something to someone or the group and its like I don't freaking exist! it pisses me off and I wish I knew why!! The only thing I blame this one is myself and the way I talk!!

I guess you can say I have a bit of a speech problem, its not even that bad but I still think some girls Judge me on it..because in the past a girl said I talked like a retard or that I should take speech therapy! and man that really hurts because I am very very insecure about the way I sound and talk.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me with my problem. Any advice would be helpful to me.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, why don't you get speech therapy?

And have you been tested for Asberger's Syndrome?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow? She said that. Be glad she told you upfront what a cunt she is. You don't need sorry people like that in your life. Yeah, get some therapy if it's a problem. Don't sit around doing nothing and being miserable your whole life like most people seem to do when they're presented with a problem.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    Well, why don't you get speech therapy?

And have you been tested for Asberger's Syndrome?
    Hmmm... Asperger's Syndrome... now it is all making sense. Seriously, David... this could explain some of your unorthodox behaviors in addition to your speech issues. Maybe you should speak to a professional.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Shit, maybe that is his problem.

Damn, now I almost feel bad.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey David, I can relate to your situation.

I used to have a massive speech problem, so bad in fact that my teachers could not understand me until I was in first or second grade. However, I took speech therapy for about 4 or 5 years, and it paid off. There is nothing wrong with speech therapy, don't be embarrassed about it if you are- It is not your fault that you cannot pronounce words properly. Words like "hamburger" and "cornbread" used to be nightmares to me, because I could never pronounce an "R" sound. A few years later, and I was speaking much better. My kindergarten teacher actually thought I was retarded I didn't know this until I was in high school though. So to reiterate, take speech therapy. If you are in school (high school), it might even be offered for free.

And I know what you are talking about when you say that people do not pay attention to you when you speak. Exact same thing happens to me, and it seems like there are another 2 or 3 people I know and whenever they try to speak to a group of people, they just won't listen. Coincidentally, one of these other people went to speech therapy with me. I just guess we speak on some frequency that makes people want to ignore us. It was always so puzzling... But I noticed that people who weren't ignored seemed to talk in such a way that they had a deeper voice, but over this "bass" were words that were produced in a higher pitch. It's really hard to explain. Try finding other people who are ignored in groups, and find similarities in the way they talk. Then look at the differences in how they talk, and how "normal" people talk (for lack of a better word, "normal"). This too takes practice.

This stuff won't come to you intuitively, I can tell you that right now. But you will be able to pick up on it by observing.

I had a speech impairment until I was 18. I was also overweight, had an afro, and did not know how to pick out clothes. The speech impairment was the first thing that I got rid of. I like talking to people. The problem was that my mind was working faster then my mouth. I decided that I will complete my own sentences, until my mouth and mind connect. Then it became natural, and I can't shut up. If someone finishes your sentences, and they are your friend, ask them to let you finish. If they are your true friend, they will listen, and you will get better. I have told this to others, and it really seems to work. Give it a month or two, take your time, and think about what you have to say, then say it. Eventually, you wont even notice it anymore, well, it will be very rare. Keep talking, but don't forget to listen.
    My Authored Books and Website about Online Dating

Chemistry and Numbers: The Online Dating Guide and Website
    [URL="http://www.chemistryandnumbers.com"]http://www.chemistryandnumbers.com[/URL]

Chemistry and Numbers 2: Sexy, Funny, Horrifying, and Yes, Successful Online Dating Stories from more than 50 Online Daters
    [URL="http://www.chemistryandnumbers.com"]http://www.chemistryandnumbers.com[/URL]

Aaron, you live in the Land of Rude Girls. Sheesh, you're surrounded by them!

Do you have any close friends? It seems to me that it might be a waste of time for you to hang out in large groups if people don't even listen to you. Maybe you'd be better off spending time with a couple of people at a time.

School's out. Do you have a job (I can't remember). If you worked at a coffee shop or something, you'd spend a lot more time interfacing with people and you'd become more comfortable.

Look, I don't want to sound mean by saying this, but you're a pretty weird guy. I imagine some people find you very intense, and that can be off-putting. IMO, the more time you spend out in the real world and the less time you spend in front of your computer, the better.
    Spammer Spanker

i was in speech therapy until i was like 10. it's a joke. i had my lisp until i was like..16. if people have a problem with it, tell them to **** off. (:

"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes..." -Andy Warhol

anachronistic Guest
    hahahahhaa, thteven hath a lithp P:

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve2004 View Post
    i was in speech therapy until i was like 10. it's a joke. i had my lisp until i was like..16. if people have a problem with it, tell them to **** off. (:
    Mike Tyson has a lisp too. You're in good company

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    hahahahhaa, thteven hath a lithp P:
    kiss my ass. i'm adorable. lisp and all.

"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes..." -Andy Warhol