+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Vices, Your Virtues

Thats a very good question
    Life is like a dick. When things get hard, **** it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    **** off the heaven and hell shit. They are completely irrelevant to the questions.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why does everyone think that religious people are always ignorant? Christianity, as the name might imply, means following the works and teachings of Jesus Christ. It means making Jesus your role model on how to live. There isn't anything ignorant about that.

Unfortunately, many Christians just follow through with the ritual of going to church and not paying attention to the advice that Jesus gave through his stories.

And of course there is corruption in the church (Catholic and Protestant). The priest at my church was accused of child molestation. The hypocrisy is horrible, this man was up in front of an audience preaching on how to live. Too bad the Catholic church changes way to slow. They need to allow priests to get married. I mean, who doesn't want to get married? (Or at least have a relationship) And the church is surprised when they attract these type of people to the priesthood.

And then Protestantism... There is a minister who lives on my street a few houses down. For a minister, this guy does pretty good. Has 4 cars, one being a Corvette, another a huge ass, brand spanking new SUV that I can't remember the make, a Chevy Impala, and some other car. Has a boat, 2 ski doos, and one of those camper things that you haul around on the back of a truck or SUV when you want to go "camping" (in luxury). In other words, this guy is by no means living a humble or modest life. You would think if this guy was truly Christian, he would be sharing his wealth more with the less fortunate.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    **** off the heaven and hell shit. They are completely irrelevant to the questions.
    I think the 7 deadly sins are a Catholic construct, which is probably why your thread turned religious.

Anyway, I am with bluesummer. It's all about balance. No one really likes you if you are perfect, anyway.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Catholic construct or not, ultimately they were not constructed by "God", but by man. Which is why everybody is familiar with them.

I don't give a flying **** whether people here believe in religion or not. You don't need to be part of any religious group to know what most modern societies consider moral or amoral.

DM and anybody else: I would appreciate if you kept off the religious debate in this thread. To put it "nicely".
    Last edited by Junket; 02-06-07 at 12:50 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Agreed.

------
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Agreed.

------
    I'm feeling particularly wrathful at the moment. I shall try to counter this with "forgiveness".

****ers.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    For me morality is pretty simple. Don't harm others and don't take from others. That's about where the buck stops for me. It isn't relative. It has nothing to do with culture or religion.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    For me morality is pretty simple. Don't harm others and don't take from others. That's about where the buck stops for me. It isn't relative. It has nothing to do with culture or religion.
    Can you give?

I'm not a huge fan of handouts that's for sure. I hate giving money to beggars. Maybe I am greedy. But I think it's more distrust.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sure. But I don't feel it's immoral not to give. At the risk of sounding like a Republican, I think if you've amassed wealth honestly and through your own sweat and tears there's nothing wrong with clinging to it or spending it recklessly.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Y'know, that's what I loved about AmeriCorps. Money and healthcare and all that was a non-issue. For once, a purpose besides money was my driving force. It felt awesome.

But I'm back to money again, and now I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. It's hard to volunteer frequently when gas is so high and my pay is so low. Maybe those are silly rationalizations in the grand scheme of things. This probably the result of sloth. I'm comfortable, although disgruntled with my situation. I should develop a better, realistic solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    What are your weaknesses?

Lust (excessive sexual appetites)?
    Gluttony (over-indulgence)?
    Greed?
    Sloth (laziness)?
    Wrath (anger)?
    Envy (or jealousy)?
    Pride (or vanity)?

Do you intend on amending any of these?

What's your saving grace?
    Chastity (keepin' it in your pants)?
    Temperance (eat to live)?
    Charity?
    Diligence (strong work ethic)?
    Forgiveness?
    Kindness (admiration)?
    Humility (modesty)?
    hmm, I dunno. how do I know if my lust is excessive ? sloth and pride are probably the ones i'd pick, and forgiveness, kindness and humility on the other side I guess. I think I have too much forgiveness sometimes though =P

nice new avatar btw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12