View Poll Results: Is it a bad idea to have a long ditance relationship?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • No

3 30.00%
  • Not sure

1 10.00%
+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Good or bad idea?

Good or bad idea?

Ok, heres the story.

My best mate has met a girl on the net that lives in Queensland, Australia. We live in New South Wales lol.

He has joined the army so he can move up there easier and because it's his dream job for some odd reason

So just one simple question then.

Is it a bad idea to have a long distance relationship in these curcumstances? It's not that far in my opinion
    Last edited by Mikey!!; 03-06-07 at 01:10 AM. Reason: I didn't make myself clear

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wales? Are you talkin' about the one half way across the globe?

i think it's your best friend..er..mate's decision on whether this is a good or bad idea (:

"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes..." -Andy Warhol

^ Geezer.

Is it a bad idea to have a long distance relationship in these curcumstances?
    Is it a good idea?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Wales? Are you talkin' about the one half way across the globe?
    New South Wales is a "state" in Australia, he doesn't actually mean Wales. But, it is still quite a way from Queensland if I know my geography correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey!!
    He has joined the army so he can move up there easier and he also has an aunty that lives there who he plans to live with until he is called in by the army.
    Now about the situation, if I understand this correctly, he specifically joined the army so he can be posted in Queensland so he can see this girl? It does seem a little foolish to say the least. Or, did you mean that he joined the army, so his parents will let him move out, so he can go and stay with his auntie in Queensland and see this girl while he is waiting to be called up for the army? Which is also, in my opinion pretty foolish.

If that's not what you meant then I have no clue mate.

He joined the army because it's been his dream job for some reason.

But he met this girl on the net before he enrolled or whatever.

Also, yes it's New South Wales. A state in Australia that is directly below QLD and yes I am aware that it's his choice to throw away his life but i was seeing if it's actually a seriously screwed plan or if it's bad but do able.

Ps: DW about that aunt thing. I made a mistake lol

An LDR is always a bad idea, I think. I just did this for 8 months, but there was an end in sight and we saw each other at least once a month. We're also both in our 30's and were absolutely sure about each other.

The circumstance you describe would make an LDR very, very difficult, with a huge potential for at least one person getting disappointed.

People need each other. A computer and a phone can only go so far, and can't possibly approach the experience of holding someone's hand and looking into their eyes. When you're in an LDR, you are necessarily involved with the idea of someone rather than that actual someone.
    Spammer Spanker

Well, it doesn't seem like a brilliant idea, especially since he is joining the army. Unless he decided that he is going to pursue her after he leaves the army... But there is usually a fairly large minimum term of service if I remember correctly. However, if he just wants to be with her for a little while, before he is called up, as long as he doesn't see it going anywhere then that would be fine. The problem is that I could see either his or her feelings being gravely hurt when he has to leave.

Anyone can sound nice over the net. Have they at least phoned? That would be a good idea.

LDR's... bah.. human contact is a must.
    There are some things you just can't explain with the word... fate. You're just going to have to see it with your own eyes.
    - Taura

Well, I thank you all for your opinions. He's still going to do it though lol. I can't stop him now and wouldn't anyway.

Oh btw he has been on the phone with her, almost everyday and they talk for hours. I finished Halo 2 by the time he stop talking once lol

Ok well, thanks again I guess.....