+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Childhood friend, bad history.

Childhood friend, bad history.

This thread is kind of long, sorry about that, and my english might not be the best since it's not my first language, so bare with me please.

I don't know whether this belongs here or not since I don't really know if I'm in love. Anyways this is my story.

First of all, I'm a 20 years old, and so is she.

I don't really know how to start.. uhm, well I've known this girl for my whole life. We were neighbours and so we grew up together. I've been attracted to this girl since I was a kid but never had the guts to tell her. (Suppose that's normal when you're a couple of kids). We spent most of our childhood together, except for a few years when I had to move away (still saw her during vacations though). Uhm, a time line might be helpful, since I think our ages are an important factor. I've lived next to her since we were born until I was 5, I moved away and returned when I was 9, and we kept our friendship until I was 11-12.

That's when things began to change.

See, she was the type of girl who would always get good marks at school, she was liked by everyone, a very cheerful person. But from that time on we started losing contact, even though we lived next to each other. I don't know why that happened, but I suppose it was because she was growing up, she wanted to meet guys, her hormones took over her, you know. I, on the other hand, was still getting 'aroused' by videogames and stuff, like any other kid.

Well, this kept going from days to months, from months to years and she was getting further and further away from me. I completely lost contact with her, and never did anything about it either.. that was pretty stupid of me, but since I still liked her it was hard for me. (I'm a REALLY shy, self-conscious person, so I never told her what I felt)

Well, I was barely seeing her (just seeing her, not talking) until she changed to my school, and to my class. To me it was a dream come true, I would finally have the chance to talk to her again and befriend her once again, but what I saw was a totally different person (I should note we never talked in class either). We were 14 at that time. She would hang out with these guys who were the epitome of shit, always smoking, getting drunk, doing drugs. I couldn't believe it. To top it off, I was the nerdy kid who got beat up (only occasionaly, thankfully) by these ****ing morons in front of her, and I never stood up for myself. She did.. this one time. For no apparent reason these assholes came to me and started hitting me, and they stopped when she said something like 'aww live the poor thing alone'. I assure you I never felt more ashamed in my ****ing life. There I was, getting beaten up and not doing anything about it, and she pitying me.

That kept going for 2-3 more years until I moved away again. During my time away (in another country), I found out that she got into drugs too, and that she tried to kill herself TWICE. Of course, this time I couldn't really do anything since I didn't know how to contact her. I moved away when I was 16, and returned at 18. (This new experience in another country really changed me, I no longer let anyone **** with me and I have obtained a lot of self-confidence).

When I returned, I went back to where I used to live for a few months, so I got to see her a few times. And then again, she was like a complete different person. She would approach me and say 'hi, how are you?' , kiss me in the chick, like when we were friends. I didn't know what the hell was going on. And then these feelings I had for her came back to me, and I didn't know what to do so I chose to do nothing. It's been almost two years now that I don't see her, even though we don't live that far away. I've been told that even though she's doing better than before she still doesn't know what to do with her life. Moreover, her parents had just divorced, and I'm worried she would try to do something stupid again.

This may sound childish and stupid, but I have this feeling that I should be there for her, because I still have feelings for her and because I feel like I should make up for all those years I wasn't there for her.

But whenever I put too much thought into it, it seems like it's not such a good idea because there's no reason for her to be thinking of me as a friend anymore, and I don't have the right to get into her life with the excuse that we used to best friends. But then again, the feeling does not go away. (Don't think she's the only one I think about all the time. It's not like I haven't been able to get over her. I did, but still get this feeling from time to time.)

I don't know, what do you guys think?

If anything was not clear, please do say so.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Orca; 17-06-07 at 01:39 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    if you're a true friend, you'll protect her. sometimes i think my friends are dumb, too, but i don't let them get into trouble when i can stop it. it's always best to play your role as a friend.

on a side note: your english is good. consider me the board's non-english speaking promoter person.

Yeah, I see. You are right, the role I should play is the friend one. I guess I was being selfish and seeing this as an oportunity to win her over (though, in the end, that seems to be my objective). Haha, just a few words you said, and they got me thinking. Thanks. I just gotta build up the courage and strength to revive this friendship. I won't say I don't want to be with her, but I think that should come on its own.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Very good English my friend!

OK, reading about how you were treated when you were a "nerd" made my blood boil. Don't take shit from people like that. Especially scummy piece of shit drug users (people who define their lifestyle by drug usage, not casuals). Establish a reputation for yourself, violently if you need to. My first experiences with the intimidation factor was in Calabria when I was 12, stayed there 3 weeks with my relatives. Some guy a few blocks down pissed off the Calabrian mafia and they peppered his house with a spray of bullets in the middle of the night, to which I awoke to the sound of gunfire. Obviously this is probably not necessary, but you get the idea. It sounds like you don't have a problem anymore with these clowns, but if you do you do NOT give them an inch. Give an inch they take a mile (or centimeter/kilometer in your case )

I am so sorry to hear that this girl you like hangs around these ****tards. Ughh... Drug addicts are ...

Help her out if she is falling upon hard times. But do it as a friend, and don't expect her to develop feelings from you because you helped her out. Just do it for her own good.

Man, I don't think you need to come up with any type of justification to approach this girl again. If you like her, try hanging around her more often. Just NOT with the druggie crowd. If you haven't opened up a line of communication with her yet, you should have no reason to believe that she won't consider you.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Yeah, I see. You are right, the role I should play is the friend one. I guess I was being selfish and seeing this as an oportunity to win her over (though, in the end, that seems to be my objective). Haha, just a few words you said, and they got me thinking. Thanks. I just gotta build up the courage and strength to revive this friendship. I won't say I don't want to be with her, but I think that should come on its own.
    never look at things as an opportunity to win people over. if you're a courageous, loyal friend, you'll definitely win her over.

it all starts with getting her away from drugs. that's a BIG problem.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went to her house yesterday, her mom received me and she looked surprised haha, anyways she told she was away for the weekend with one of her girl friends. (it's a long weekend here, today is a holiday)

@DoesntMatter - Wow man, I hope that shooting wasn't traumatizing for you, I'm sorry to hear that. And thanks for sympathizing with me.

@lilwing - She's out of drugs now, I guess I didn't make that clear in my post. Thanks for your concern.

I'll try contacting her again during the week, I'll let you guys know how things go.

anachronistic Guest
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I went to her house yesterday, her mom saw me and she looked surprised haha, anyways she told she was away for the weekend with one of her girl friends. (it's a long weekend here, today is a holiday)
    corrected your single mistake

i'm sure her mom will tell her you visited while she was gone, and she'll flip at herself for being gone.

break her out of drug habits, and protect her from those people.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    @DoesntMatter - Wow man, I hope that shooting wasn't traumatizing for you, I'm sorry to hear that. And thanks for sympathizing with me.

@lilwing - She's out of drugs now, I guess I didn't make that clear in my post. Thanks for your concern.

I'll try contacting her again during the week, I'll let you guys know how things go.
    Watching somebody you love fall into a hellish drug addiction is FAR more traumatizing than hearing someone's house a few blocks down being shot at in mafia town.

So glad to hear she's clean now! Now what you need to do (for her own good) is like what lilwing said, make sure she doesn't hang around those people anymore. Many programs here in the US that treat drug addiction stress cutting off all ties with your old drug "friends".

Do keep us informed, and good luck

I think you should offer your help, let her know you're there for her if she needs something. Don't force yourself on her. However, I don't recommend you trying to pursue a romantic relationship with her... she seems to be going through a lot of trouble.