+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is true love?

What is true love?

yeah i have been wondering this for a long time what is it? how do you know when you are in "true love"? what made true love more different than love? is love just for sex?and true love is when you truly like someone for there personality? not just there body?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    True love is what is left over after infatuation wears off. (If you are lucky.)
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

true love is when you still want to be around that person despite her flaws no matter how great they may be. True love is when you stick through tough times with that person despite sometimes doubting her insanity. True love is probably when you keep on accepting back the same person despite her cheating on you a million times over..well thts in my case anyway

Quote Originally Posted by muspi_2000 View Post
    true love is when you still want to be around that person despite her flaws no matter how great they may be. True love is when you stick through tough times with that person despite sometimes doubting her insanity. True love is probably when you keep on accepting back the same person despite her cheating on you a million times over..well thts in my case anyway
    so uhm..lets say i really like this girl but she doesn't know i love her
    she thinks of me as her best friend...and one day she introduces me to her BF and i didn't say anything i act normal..and happy around them..and say to my self well if shes happy with him than I'm happy for her but truth is i'm really jealous can this be true love? cause i really feel jealous when i see them together...and i'm afraid if i tell her i like her she wont even bother talking to me again.

LostNotFound Guest
    when you can stay up all night just talking

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    True love is what is left over after infatuation wears off. (If you are lucky.)
    True. Your line reminded me of a line in "Captain Corelli's Mandolin"--Penelope Cruz' father (in the movie) says almost the exact same thing.

True love holds the heart in the most amazing way. The most wonderful pleasure when you are together with her; but its hurts around the heart when you are apart emotionally or physically.

Believe it or not, I still possess true love for a woman that I haven't seen for years and will likely never see again. I can always hope for a miracle, but I doubt it will happen. I only hope that I find that feeling again for someone else.

Until then, I have no desire to date casually; I have no desire for casual sex; and I find it very difficult to generate enthusiasm for "the pursuit." I just work and accomplish alot, weight train, spend time with family/friends...my emotional existence has been on hold for years and I can't seem to break free. I would rather die alone than to be in a relationship that did not match or exceed the feeling that I had for that one woman.

That's true love. It can be a great feeling and it can be a great sorrow, too.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Believe it or not, I still possess true love for a woman that I haven't seen for years and will likely never see again. I can always hope for a miracle, but I doubt it will happen. I only hope that I find that feeling again for someone else.
    I believe you, Cam. It somehow fits you're a Deep Romantic w/a crusty exterior. Reminds me of Kevin Klines character in 'The Emperors Club'. Hope you find it again soon.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your line reminded me of a line in "Captain Corelli's Mandolin"--Penelope Cruz' father (in the movie) says almost the exact same thing.
    Really? Damn thief!
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Really? Damn thief!
    Iannis (from Captain Corellis Mandolin): "When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every part of your body. No... don't blush. I am telling you some truths. For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away. Doesn't sound very exciting, does it? But it is! "

Iannis' comment is to his daughter Pelagia about her question regarding the meaning of love.

it makes me sad that anyone can define / describe love.

lets just say love can make one do things they never imagined they'd be capable of..

and muspi, i hate to say but i dont believe that someone who is truly in love is capable of cheating. that person is either rotten or is faking love or lying to himself saying he is in love. i was madly in love once. it was inconcievable for me to think of another girl. girls would hit on me, i even got a "i want whats in your pants" at a party once, 4 hrs away from my gf, i would never have gotten caught. i didnt dare. the guilt would eat me alive i was way too in love, even after she broke my heart, it took me several months to even be able to THINK about other girls.

Quote Originally Posted by vorguen View Post
    it makes me sad that anyone can define / describe love.

lets just say love can make one do things they never imagined they'd be capable of..

and muspi, i hate to say but i dont believe that someone who is truly in love is capable of cheating. that person is either rotten or is faking love or lying to himself saying he is in love. i was madly in love once. it was inconcievable for me to think of another girl. girls would hit on me, i even got a "i want whats in your pants" at a party once, 4 hrs away from my gf, i would never have gotten caught. i didnt dare. the guilt would eat me alive i was way too in love, even after she broke my heart, it took me several months to even be able to THINK about other girls.
    fair enough vorguen, up till this day even i still doubt my wife 100% after our history but i dont know..ppl say id be better off without her but after years together on and off i just cant see myself being with another girl, waking up to see the same face over and over again. That being said, my real true love passed away so who am i to know what real love is. Maybe im just substituting her, who ever said life was fair eh?

love is love and true love is still just love...but people say true in front of it just like you say big giant mountain..as if giant mountain wasn't enough. Is there a difference between true love and truly true love? what about truthfully truly true love? I guess mine was Fake love. lol...don't listen to people..if you think you are not in love then you are not and if you do think you are then you are...I mean...who the **** does someone else think they are to tell you how you feel?

Ok ok ok, so what do we have so far. Let us list.

1.)In love
    2.)love
    3.)true love
    4.)Infatuation/limerence

Anyone else wants to add to the list? cause mine only consists of number two...I don't use adjectives to change the meaning of the entire noun.

Quote Originally Posted by muspi_2000 View Post
    True love is probably when you keep on accepting back the same person despite her cheating on you a million times over.
    No, that is called stupidity, unwise or being a chump. Pick one. I say all three.

Quote Originally Posted by LostNotFound View Post
    when you can stay up all night just talking
    That is called endurance. Come on people ! get with the program here!

I have that feeling for someone too! but I never talked to them. Yet here you say that this is true love...only few more posts down you completely contradict yourself by saying that this is infatuation and that what is left over is love.

True love is what is left over after infatuation wears off.
    Disappointment?
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 04-09-07 at 03:32 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

True love is what you feel for a pet, a child, or a chilli dog.

On that note, Cam and Muspi have got me ragingly (is that even a word?) curious about their back stories now.
    There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post

I have that feeling for someone too! but I never talked to them. Yet here you say that this is true love...only few more posts down you completely contradict yourself by saying that this is infatuation and that what is left over is love.

Disappointment?
    I don't contradict myself at all...the last part of your comment is from a quote that I site--from a film. I didn't write it. I was simply indicating to Vash that what he had said earlier was similiar to a film, "Captain Corelli's Mandolin."

Besides, the quote says that love is what is left over when infatuation wears off...I never indicated that I was infatuated, so what the hell are you talking about???

I don't talk to her anymore because I respect her relationship with her husband. He would know that I still feel something for her and that would make him very uncomfortable. It would be disrespectful for me to intrude emotionally or otherwise on their lives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast