+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A girlfriend, an Ex, and other issues.

A girlfriend, an Ex, and other issues.

So, I dated my ex for a year, and we had a terrible break up that left us both pretty messed up. Recently we had a long talk, figured out what actually happened between us, and concluded that we were on good terms. There is a part of me that would like to try to get back together with her.

I've been dating my Girlfriend for a year and a half, and it's a good and healthy relationship. Part of me enjoys the idea of marrying her.

My questions are:
    should I try and remain friendly with my Ex, or go back to the policy of seeing her as little as possible that I've had since we broke up?

and the really important bit: is that fact the part of me is willing to leave my GF somehow a signifyer that I don't really love my GF?

It's great that you and your ex no longer hate each other's guts, but you broke up for a reason. Even if you have your ducks in a row now, the two of you still did not have a strong enough relationship then to weather the storm.

If you are in love with your girlfriend, then that is where you need to be. My advice would be not to marry until you have sowed ALL your wild oats and are 100% ready to settle down. You don't want to end up like some of the homewrecking, child abandoning bastards that turn up here every now and then.

My personal opinion (and I say it again: OPINION) is that now that your ex is no longer taking the rank of evil hellbitch that doesn't mean she shouldn't still be a blur in the background. Put her back in the past where she belongs and move happily towards your future full of bunnies and kittens and rainbows and nice shit like that.
    There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by phobic View Post
    My questions are:
    should I try and remain friendly with my Ex, or go back to the policy of seeing her as little as possible that I've had since we broke up?
    If you don't have kids, there is no reason to stay in contact. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Quote Originally Posted by phobic View Post
    and the really important bit: is that fact the part of me is willing to leave my GF somehow a signifyer that I don't really love my GF?
    I don't think this is a good sign. Obviously.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I don't know if you are necessarily not in love with your gf simply because you entertain the thought of taking your ex back, but you should definitely take it as a sign you're not ready to marry her.

What is it about your ex that would make you want to take her back? Are you really interested in her or are you maybe just a little nervous about the possibility of commitment to your gf?

I'd like to know how this long conversation came about. Did you contact her or did she contact you?
    Spammer Spanker

no leave her alone

"history repeats itself" If I were you and I loved my new girl I wouldn't tempt myself!