+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Clenched Jaw

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Clenched Jaw

Bruxism is clenching or grinding your teeth, often without being aware that your are doing it. In the United States, bruxism affects an estimated 30 to 40 million children and adults.

Some people grind their teeth only during sleep; this condition is called "nocturnal bruxism" or "sleep-related bruxism." Others grind their teeth during the daytime as well, most often during situations that make them feel tense or anxious. People with severe bruxism can fracture dental fillings or cause other types of tooth damage. Severe bruxism has also been blamed for some cases of temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD), mysterious morning headaches and unexplained facial pain.

Bruxism can have a variety of psychological and physical causes. In many cases, it has been linked to stress, but it can also simply be the body's reaction to the teeth being aligned wrong or a poor bite (the way the teeth come together).
    I just took a 3 hour nap, and I still woke up with a sore jaw. This stuff recently started, and it's been really been makin' my waking up painful. I don't really know what to do to relax my jaw when I'm sleeping. I mean...I'm sleeping...what can I do?

Anybody clench their jaw while they sleep? Or do any other unconscious disruptive things while they sleep?

you're having stress.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    you're having stress.
    What am I stressing about?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They make guards for you teeth to protect them. You should see a dentist.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Get a pacifier

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are overbite's normal?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, they aren't statistically abnormal, but neither are they optimal.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Definelty see a dentist and have a mouth splint made for you. You can take muscle relaxers too. Ive been in dentistry for 15 years. OR you can try to just get one of this meltable ones from Walmart. You set it in warm water and then shove it in your mouth til it cools, but make sure you bite down on it. Typically mouth splints for TMJ are made for the lower jaw because thats what moves.

STRESS is a huge cause when TMJ acts up. Its your bodies way of releasing those chemicals.

Overbites and underbites are pretty common. You can correct it with full blown ortho or minimal depending on the severity of the bite.

Fras try the guards over the counter theyre like 4 bucks or something. Its not made for it, but it will help. Splints for TMJ can run hundreds of dollars and take some muscle relaxers!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i haven't had issues where my mouth clenched consistently ...

I've had a couple of instances where on of my eyes would be super swollen for the whole day because, in my sleep, I was pressing my face deep into my pillow or something ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    They make guards for you teeth to protect them. You should see a dentist.
    You can do this.

When I was a student, I ground my teeth. Stopped after I left Boston. Guards are a stopgap, but the LT solution is to remove the stress. Figure out what's bothering you. Or find a way to relax yourself before sleeping...

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Or find a way to relax yourself before sleeping...
    Heh heh. I know what you need, Fras. I'll bet you'll feel a whole lot better after you see Amy. You just went through days of NC with her. Yeah, it was only three days, but they were grueling and now the stress is starting to come out.

Compounded, of course, by your impending move, your trouble with your dad, etc.

Dude, what's NOT stressing you?
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Dude, what's NOT stressing you?
    Haha.

That's a good question. I could do without this sexual frustration. And the stress about moving is starting to really creep up on me. I have NO idea where I'll be working once I get out west. I've never really had this problem before. OH, did I mention my health insurance is up after midnight tomorrow?

I've been seeing a counselor for the past month and a half, and I gotta tell her my coverage will be up, which means I'm gonna end my sessions with her. 40 dollars co-pay per week was tough, so I definitely can't pay in full for the remaining 3 weeks I'll have here.

3 weeks...

3 weeks?!

AHHH!

I'm freakin' out here, guys.

Well, that's a good thing, actually. You're only getting tougher, and I'm not being dismissive at all.

You can do this, and when you're all settled, you'll know you can do this. Shit, some people have never even lived out of their parents' house by your age. You're doing all kinds of stuff.
    Spammer Spanker