+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: a poem.

^
    i once join the public system with the naiveness taht i can turn it around some how, even the slightest, but after several years, it is so evident as to why the public system fails, the words "general, public and education do not belong together".

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good you know how to use Google, Missy.

FYI, I happen to know John. He's a well respected Canadian author based in Toronto & I'm happy to give him a little bit of free advertising over the internet.

It would have meant more tho if you actually critiqued it *before* you looked it up. I have a feeling that biased your comments. Ah well. And yes, 'Maggie Tries to Connect' is a beautiful poem also. But its a bit too many words for my taste. I best like the simple ones that allow more personal interpretation. "Maggie" insists you hear HER story more than 'This Land'. For example, one of your first comments about 'Land' was female barren wombs or something. But I don't think John was really thinking about that. Vash's comment & the obvious farming connection was closest.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 22-10-07 at 06:43 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by cuddlemonster View Post
    ^
    i once join the public system with the naiveness taht i can turn it around some how, even the slightest, but after several years, it is so evident as to why the public system fails, the words "general, public and education do not belong together".
    Are you a teacher, CM?

BTW, a lot of ppl enjoyed your poem, so I hope this thread doesn't keep you from posting others.

One of *my* graduate professors (a biochemist, for context) he was talking about science, but it applies to arts also, I'm sure, he once told me something I will never forget: it is easy to critique; humans are programmed to see flaws & apply 'rules'. Given enough experience and training, anyone can do it. Its wired into us--a survival trait to recognize when something is wrong. But its much more difficult to create, esp something truly new & different. And b/c its hardwired into us, most of what we create will be criticized as garbage, and it may even be so. But the only way to progress is to keep creating despite what anyone says. Just make sure you're doing it for yourself, b/c noone else will thank you for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Good you know how to use Google, Missy.

FYI, I happen to know John. He's a well respected Canadian author based in Toronto & I'm happy to give him a little bit of free advertising over the internet.
    Well by all means do that - by including his name with his poetry. Your advertising certainly worked though, since I'm glad I got to find out about him.

It would have meant more tho if you actually critiqued it *before* you looked it up. I have a feeling that biased your comments.
    Note that my critique did come before I looked it up, Indi. Stop jumping to conclusions. I did not know who the poem was by until the post before this one. I had an inkling that the poem was not by you, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt while writing the review. I only looked it up when you asked about tools and techniques because that was a dead give away that it was not your poem and you were conducting some sort of test.

Ah well. And yes, 'Maggie Tries to Connect' is a beautiful poem also. But its a bit too many words for my taste. I best like the simple ones that allow more personal interpretation.
    True that Maggie Tries to Connect leaves less room for interpretation, but "too many words"? Right.
    Both of those poem are simple, Indi. Length and simplicity are not always implicit of each other.

"Maggie" insists you hear HER story more than 'This Land'. For example, one of your first comments about 'Land' was female barren wombs or something. But I don't think John was really thinking about that. Vash's comment & the obvious farming connection was closest.
    So what's your point? Is my interpretation of a poem open to interpretation wrong because you're so bent on proving me wrong? Wasn't your inention by posting John's poem to see whether I would give it negative feedback so you could say "HAH! See, you have no idea what you're talking about because that one's by a well respected and published writer"?
    If not, then why omitt his name?

Indi, I do know a good poem when I see one, regardless of who wrote it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    Wasn't your inention by posting John's poem to see whether I would give it negative feedback so you could say "HAH! See, you have no idea what you're talking about because that one's by a well respected and published writer"?

If not, then why omit his name?

Indi, I do know a good poem when I see one, regardless of who wrote it.
    Yep, I wanted to see what you would say. And how long you would continue this argument for. LOL. Lets just call it my experiment. Thank you for participating.

And John was going to get his credit as an edit once I was done. Thanks for doing it for me.

Indi, you continued the argument I believe. If you post something for me to reply to, I will. For several posts now there has been no argument, just discussion of some other poetry etc. Until I found out you tried to corner me with that poem. That's your doing, not mine...but nice try.

I really do think, though, that you're as argumentative and stubborn as I am.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    Indi, you continued the argument I believe. If you post something for me to reply to, I will. For several posts now there has been no argument, just discussion of some other poetry etc. Until I found out you tried to corner me with that poem. That's your doing, not mine...but nice try.

I really do think, though, that you're as argumentative and stubborn as I am.

Sweet, you're miffed b/c you finally caught on that you've been a lab-rat, nothing more. Something to help me understand how certain undergraduates might think. Its the internet & a unique forum to allow me to do this. I couldn't do this type of thing with students I teach. Its been interesting & I've learned lots. I hope you have also.

Carry on posting if you wish, I don't mind. I don't have any exams to study for, lol. Besides, Giga and the others *love* reading this kind of thing. This site is rarely so interesting, esp on a wet, cold Sunday in October.

how's this poem...

roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    candy is sweet,
    and this thread sucks ass.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    how's this poem...

roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    candy is sweet,
    and this thread sucks ass.
    Hey! Post some pics of your dogs then... I'm bored.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Sweet, you're miffed b/c you finally caught on that you've been a lab-rat, nothing more. Something to help me understand how certain undergraduates might think. Its the internet & a unique forum to allow me to do this. I couldn't do this type of thing with students I teach. Its been interesting & I've learned lots. I hope you have also.

Carry on posting if you wish, I don't mind. I don't have any exams to study for, lol. Besides, Giga and the others *love* reading this kind of thing. This site is rarely so interesting, esp on a wet, cold Sunday in October.
    Are you that conceited? Miffed because you posted some poem to see what I would say? And because I critiqued it I'm a lab-rat? Don't flatter yourself. I'd have to do a lot more regarding an experiment to be miffed because I'm a lab rat.
    I suspected the poem wasn't yours, and I still reviewed it. WHY i suspected? Because it's too good for someone who apparently isn't that versed in writing. I admit, it's too good for me to write as well, but I can still recognise it.

Exams? Hell...yeah. That time of year again. But I love it, you see. I already have the degree in English, you see, so no undergrad in that regard.

I'll continue posting as long as you continue posting, and you're continuing to post. If you're so superior and more mature - as you think you are because you keep trumpeting on about your degree and the lack of degrees others' possess (not just this thread, right?) - you'll stop posting, because, well, with us rolling around in this mud people won't tell the difference between pigs and people.

Last edited by misombra; 22-10-07 at 08:08 AM. Reason: it only posts a link no se porque.

[url]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/chibichazoo/INTERNETFIGHT.gif[/url]

yeah, why doesn't this forum allow imbedded pictures? No fun...

what breed are they? if any

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast