+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Job Search Updates

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Oklahoma Job Search Updates

At Indie's recommendation, I'm making a separate job thread.

So right now I've been in Oklahoma for a little more than a week, and I started job searching about 3 days ago.

My terms: I need a job that is full time, Monday to Friday 7.00 at a minimum, (minimum wage here is 5 somethin'). I cannot work weekends because that would defeat the entire purpose of me moving closer to my girlfriend who is in Denton, TX, which is about 2 1/2 hours away.

I don't intend on staying in this area for more than a year.

This is key because I'm not looking for long term work, my goal is that I'll know within 12 months where my relationship with Amy is headed.

1.) Progresses fruitfully, and we move even closer/move in with each other

2.) Things don't work out and I bail back to Philly.

I've filled out multiple applications, made countless phone calls, managed to get one interview at a Quick Lube which I turned down, and I'm going into the Goodyear Tire Factory tomorrow for an orientation. I don't know the actual monetary pay increase but it's supposed to be every 3 months.

I'm currently filling out an application for a maintenance position at an apartment (I went to tech school for building maintenance), but I'm already hesitant because they require that the 2 maintenance staff swap 24 hour-call-duty every week. Which would mean I'd have to be in the close proximity every other weekend.

That's where I'm at, I'll update you all on tomorrow's orientation.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The fact you are there temporarily doesn't mean you can't have a job that won't help you develop skills you can use later.

Obviously you need to eat, and take whatever is immediately available. But some jobs to consider: bank teller (they start here around $12/hour & you don't need a degree); trades/construction--dunno what the housing market is like there, but you can't pay these guys enough to work on your job around here: drywallers, painters, flooring... at least $20/hour to start. And you can for sure use these skills for side cash wherever you move. Our tiling guy told us he's making $700 a night doing the floor at the local mall for 7 hours. Unbelievable.

Err, top up your day job with a night one? Waiter at a restaurant? Guess that doesn't work for Amy... hmmm mbe others will have more ideas.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]https://servicelink.oesc.state.ok.us/ada/mn_quicksearch_dsp.cfm[/url]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks for the advice Indie. I'd really like to try to stay in the fields I was in tech school for. I just realized that I've been looking at a very limited resource (the local newspaper). I'd love to get better at dry walling, or some kind of construction, so I just pulled out the yellow pages and I'm creating a list of companies I intend to call in the next few days.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I meant to post this earlier, but I had to actually go do some work:

#28.
    Chicken Catcher Last Updated: 10/24/2007
    City: Broken Bow, OK
    Order Number: 219525
    Basic Job Information: $7.75 - $7.75, Full-time
    Required Education: No Educational Requirement
    Required Experience: No Experience Requirement
    Catch live chickens in a very dusty environment, and working with an automatic catch machine. Lifting, standing, reaching, squatting, working in hot-cold, dusty environment. Must be able to lift 50 plus lbs., abide by all safety and ergonomic policies.

Can you imagine?? 'Ergonomic policies' for catching a damn chicken? And they don't mention the fact the place would smell like... well, SHIT.

LOL!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Chicken catcher?

Dear god, I miss Philly.

Oh, Fras. I think you should try out the chicken catcher job just for one day. That would be hilarious.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Oh, Fras. I think you should try out the chicken catcher job just for one day. That would be hilarious.
    +1

He could become The Chicken Whisperer...

[url]http://fearthegaychicken.com/[/url]
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://fearthegaychicken.com/[/url]
    lol. does it do anything other than say 'cock'? And t-shirts?? Ppl will sell anything these days.

I mean, I could take a close upphoto of a twat with the caption Lick Me--wait, I know, I could turn the photo sideways & turn the ends up into a smile with the caption Have a ****tablulous Day... and someone would pbly buy it.

Any orders?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OKAY!

***So, I declined the Goodyear job!***

I showed up at 7:30 as directed, and I was with about 6 other people. Once we got to the office, this woman had us all sit down at this large table. I sat there holding 15 page terms and conditions form feeling sheepish because I didn't really understand what any of it meant, much less even know what the hell my job was.

After talking about it with Amy, she explained that I was actually being employed by an outside contractor. This way they can pay less and offer no benefits and Goodyear never has to hear a peep. After hearing that I was much less enthused about this job.

So I muster up the courage to tell the woman that I didn't even know what my job description was. Get this, nobody did. Apparently it's policy for them to just hire as needed and just put people where they need them. This would explain how quickly they were moving us through the application process.

"Do you really wanna know what your job is?"
    "Yes."

Apparently they tell us once we're inside the plant to save her time. Fúck that.

I don't even remember the title or job description, she spoke with such a heavy Irish accent. I asked about their policy with raises. There's a raise every 3 months and it maxes out at 8.00.

"Do you still want the position?"
    "No. Thank you for your time."

You shoulda see the other people's faces when they found out I had a day shift then walked out.

It felt so good to know I could find something better than mindless factory work.

So what's going on now?

Amy sent me a link to website where I found the url to a local tech school. I figured I'd look, and turns out they're hiring for custodial positions. Either 7-4pm or 3-Midnight. They're not sure which shift they're hiring for, but I think I'd take either.

Pay: $9.02
    Benefits: FULL
    Schedule: Monday-Friday
    Bonuses: $620.00 waiver on any classes I take at the school

This sounds fantastic. I already handed in the application, and they should call me by the end of next week.

Not only that, but Home Depot just called me and scheduled an interview with me for Sunday at 10am.

Not bad, not bad!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good for you Fras! FYI, one of my uncles was a city garbage man (retired now) and he made a shitload of $$$. Golf vacations every spring in Fla, huge house, nice car, etc.

I'm glad you turned down that first job. That sounded vaguely unethical. Keep us posted.

have you tried the jobs section on [url]http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/[/url] ?

I'm still intrigued by the chicken catching opportunity, but I don't think Fras is going to entertain me that way.

Hey, Fras. Does it get ridiculously cold in Oklahoma? And is there a Home Depot there you could work at if you get desperate?
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey, Fras. Does it get ridiculously cold in Oklahoma? And is there a Home Depot there you could work at if you get desperate?
    Funny you mention that, Home Depot just called me yesterday and we scheduled an interview for Sunday morning. Yeaaaaah boyeeee! I'm feeling exhausted from all this job hunting, I'm kinda takin' it easy today.

And yeah, it does get pretty cold at night, from all that damn wind come sweepin' down the plains...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast