+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My bf tried to commit suicide...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post

The truth is that many of those who succumb to self-immolation only mean to escape an existence which stretches their minds across a torture rack. It is a state of mind unimaginable to those who haven't experienced it for themselves.
    Agreed. And anyone in this condition is by no means available to be in a relationship with a girlfriend. Any girlfriend who pins her hopes to a guy who attempts suicide if she doesn't do what he wants is asking for trouble.
    Spammer Spanker

Well, here's another thing to it, too--supposing it worked. Supposing he did die. It's the same as leaving her alone--trying is the same as wanting to leave her out of frustration and anger. Now, I'm not saying that frustration causes the attempt--there are so many more factors involved. But as far as a relationship goes, trying to commit suicide is essentially the same thing as saying, "I'm willing to leave you forever with very little provocation." That sentence is not a good one for any relationship, whether it involves death or not.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    I would suggest that anyone who believes suicide is a selfish option to read Heart of Darkness by William Styron (also author of Sophie's Choice). It is an exceptionally articulate account of the author's own battle with serious depression. After reading it, I have never been able to treat mental illness and depression with the same flippancy I once did.

The truth is that many of those who succumb to self-immolation only mean to escape an existence which stretches their minds across a torture rack. It is a state of mind unimaginable to those who haven't experienced it for themselves.
    I agree with you with regards to those who succumb, but not so much with those who attempt. It really isn't all that hard to kill yourself if you REALLY want to.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Not only COULD you, but you SHOULD. Life is short - why waste it on people who will suck the life out of you? Do you really think it's a good idea to invest years of your life into a losing proposition only to look back and be sorry about it?

I'd leave the nut cases for the other nut cases to make relationships with. There are plenty of them around.
    I was just kidding!
    I was just being provocative. I knew you'll respond. I thought Giga might too but she didnt go for it.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

i would'nt be in your position because if someone is not mentally 'there'. im gooooonnnnneeeeee.

I totally agree with Charlie Boy. I also know that suicide attemps can be a form of manipulation and that sometimes the person doing it doesn't intend to die but more to try to make the person they are manipulating think that is their intentions. I knew someone that commited suicide and it came as a complete shock to everyone. He didn't mention that he was feeling so bad to anyone not even on the day he did it. That was truly a person wanting to put an end to his suffering and not in a rational state of mind to think of how others would be affected. He just wanted the pain to end. Period. The problem is distinguishing between what is real intent and what is manipulation and I agree with giga that maybe talking to a professional who has dealt with him personally can give you the best advise on what to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12