+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying

Paying

What should a guy do if the girl insists that she pays for her own half?

I asked her out, and during our date she didnt let me pay for her part at all, not even a penny. On one occasion, where I was about to pay for both of us, she snatched the money and stuffed it back in my coat pocket. I brought along £50 and only spent £10 as a result. I just want to treat a girl to something nice and be happy myself, thats all... why wouldnt she let me put a smile on her face?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If she is so insistent on paying I would just go with the flow and not complain

Oh yeah and I didn't answer the 'why' part of your question because I'm a guy and don't have the slightest clue

This is a very good sign that she cares about you..or you buy to much for her as it is...
    There is a way to finding balance in a relationship but it dose not come from splitting everything down the middle.

if she wants to split a $50.00 dinner and you are seeing a movie later on for example, tell her you will pay for dinner and she can get the movie tickets.

This way you both feel like you are contributing to the date and not sure covering your costs.

Best Of Luck,

Sexpert Sam
    Last edited by Gigabitch; 30-11-07 at 12:58 AM.

Dont sweat it! Some of us gals insist on paying part of things, its called independance. And we like to show that part of it in that way. Either that or its part of she doesnt want you to "expect" anything for paying for the things.

Id let her though. Dont take it personally.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Simply put, she enjoys paying so let her.

If it makes you uncomfortable, simply tell her that next time you expect to pay & that you will take turns.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sometimes we women feel like there is a power imbalance if a guy pays for us... he may expect a greater deal of intimacy than she is willing to provide if he pays for her.

(I am not like this.)

If she insists on paying at future dates, I like indi's idea... take turns.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1281 View Post
    What should a guy do if the girl insists that she pays for her own half?
    You thank God you found her! That's what!

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I insist on paying in full. If a woman is absolutely adamant on paying her own way she's got to hit the road. I'll let her pay up. And I'll be polite and kind for the remainder of the date, but once the evening's over, we're over.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

What are you complaining about? Haha. I'd guess (though I am no expert) that she either does not want to feel patronized (feminist type?) or she likes you. Or both.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I insist on paying in full. If a woman is absolutely adamant on paying her own way she's got to hit the road. I'll let her pay up. And I'll be polite and kind for the remainder of the date, but once the evening's over, we're over.
    That's weird.. why ?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Although I approve of your traditional stance, I can't help but wonder what motivates your reaction.

As for me, I've never paid for a date I was invited on, and never would. He who asks should pay. It is simply good manners.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because I want nothing to do with that kind of feminist. What other traditional roles is she going to strip from me? Am I going to be berated for sticking up for her? Is she going to bitch at my machismo code? I'm not interested in any of that.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because I want nothing to do with that kind of feminist.
    Good point! I wasn't looking at it like that before

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Sometimes we women feel like there is a power imbalance if a guy pays for us... he may expect a greater deal of intimacy than she is willing to provide if he pays for her.
    I agree with this. I think she's trying to keep it a "just friends" thing by paying for herself so you don't try to grope her at the end of the evening. She's maintaining control.

She's also an idiot, in my book, unless you thought you were on a date and she didn't. What were the circumstances?
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because I want nothing to do with that kind of feminist. What other traditional roles is she going to strip from me? Am I going to be berated for sticking up for her? Is she going to bitch at my machismo code? I'm not interested in any of that.
    What if it was your birthday & she wanted to buy you lunch? You would still say this? Why be so offended whether you do or don't pay? Your stance on this seems a bit extreme, IMO. Its only money. Who cares who pays, really?

This is why I suggest turns. Its fair, and avoids any of these silly gender roles & expectations.

My personal opinion is closer to Vash's. If you ask someone out, you should expect to pay. If you're in a relationship & you are clearly making more $, then you should pay proportionally, esp if you are suggesting pricey outings like might be a stretch for your SO to cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast