+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how to deal with unwanted crushes?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meh. I'm not a big fan of pepper spray, personally. I mean, it's better than trying to swat a guy off with your girly little hands, but sometimes it just pisses 'em off more than anything.

Get a lock. Please. That guy sounds like a real creep. I mean, he turned up half naked at the foot of your bed? What do you think was going through his head?
    Last edited by Gribble; 03-12-07 at 10:40 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Now you know why we have such a problem with guns in America.

I like the pepper spray or coin-in-sock idea, and DEFINITELY a lock for the door. I am aghast there isn't already one in place.
    did you read my post?

no, probably not.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Meh. I'm not a big fan of pepper spray, personally. I mean, it's better than trying to swat a guy off with your girly little hands, but sometimes it just pisses 'em off more than anything.

Get a lock. Please. That guy sounds like a real creep. I mean, he turned up half naked at the foot of your bed? What do you think was going through his head?
    have you ever been sprayed with pepper spray? one of my friends sprayed it at a desk, and 2 seconds later, it made us gag, we had to leave the house because it was so horrible. took 30 minutes or so to clear up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    I'm not so much worried about direct physical assault as I am about them trying to get me into one of their games.
    Well, you should be. Can you get pepper spray there? It's very important that you do NOT allow these guys to catch you alone. I think you're trying to downplay the danger, here, and I don't want that to result in something ugly happening.

I think you should try to set a cold tone with them. Not combative, obviously, but in no way encouraging. 'wing is right- padlock that door if you have to. You should never have to wake up with an uninvited guest at the foot of your bed.

If you do go to the police at some point, try to get your old housemate to make a statement as well.
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not so much worried about direct physical assault as I am about them trying to get me into one of their games.
    Tiay, I mean this for your own good, but if you don't go & get a lock TODAY, I'm going to suggest you are actually not all that upset about this issue or you are enjoying the attention.

You seem smarter than this. Why haven't you already dealt with the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    You should never have to wake up with an uninvited guest at the foot of your bed.
    amen to that. I'm told he got *in* the other girls bed, not when she was in it though.

definitely getting something for the door, being careful with locking the house till then.
    I've never seen pepper spray for sale here.. so, I don't know.. :/

edit: can't find any proper info, but pepper spray is definitely illegal in the UK, which isn't a good sign.
    Last edited by Tiay; 04-12-07 at 02:23 AM.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've never seen pepper spray for sale here.. so, I don't know.. :/
    Buy it online. Get the stuff designed for bears from an American vendor, it's much stronger than what they use for people IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Tiay, I mean this for your own good, but if you don't go & get a lock TODAY, I'm going to suggest you are actually not all that upset about this issue or you are enjoying the attention.

You seem smarter than this. Why haven't you already dealt with the situation?
    Because I posted on the weekend, when I'm at (my parents) home. I arrived at college this morning, stayed there till late working, and I just got to my student house now (I was posting on the college connection before).

I'm sorry if I over-dramatised the situation, but I needed to vent, and I didn't think people would start suggesting knives and guns. After the bed incident I asked the landlord for a key for my specific door, but that was no good.

And yes, I appreciate everyone worrying about my safety. It's a good reality check.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm sorry if I over-dramatised the situation, but I needed to vent, and I didn't think people would start suggesting knives and guns. After the bed incident I asked the landlord for a key for my specific door, but that was no good.
    I'm not trying to get you to apologize, I'm trying to get you to buy a lock or latch. Having some half-naked weirdo standing in front of your bed in your room isn't over-dramatising. Its ****ed up. Its serious & you need to get yourself a lock or at least a latch of some kind RIGHT NOW.

Protection is all very well, but deterring these assholes is 95% of the game. Since you have neighbours, a lock on your door, where they would have to actually make some noise to get into your room will most likely solve the problem if these guys are just jerkoffs. If a lock is a prbm w/the landperson, then get a latch you use only when in the room.

What did your parents have to say about this? I doubt they would find it at all amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    What did your parents have to say about this? I doubt they would find it at all amusing.
    Exactly. I'll bet your brother would lose his ****ing mind. Maybe he should come for a visit.
    Spammer Spanker

you guys are lightning fast.

indi: I just came back from the shopping centre, but they didn't have it :\ not that I even have a screwdriver. I'm using a chair as it is, which is pretty sturdy.

giga: yeah, I decided not to tell my brother... My Mom is away at the moment. My dad definitely didn't take it lightly, of course.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You need a hardware store. Or the equivalent of a WalMart. Do your parents or brother come to visit you? Ask them to bring you what you need. A basic adjustable screwdriver (w/different heads) & latch doesn't cost much. You should own your own screwdriver anyway, they are very handy.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Jesus Christ Tiay just buy a ****ing lock already and get this taken care of. Are you telling me it's that hard to find a bolt for your door in Ireland?

no, I'm just explaining why I didn't get one yet. You try finding a bolt when you are in a small town and have a few hours available to find it- in the evening when the shops are closed, of course.

Seriously, I'm doing it as quick as I can, guys.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know, you can leave a bunch of tacks/nails/and broken glass in front of your door.

It'd give ya a warning at least, and maybe debilitate them for a little bit.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast