+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: feminisation of men

feminisation of men

recent threads made me create this one, but honestly, it's something i've been thinking about since i got out of highschool.

I'm not talking about homosexuals here, i'm talking about the straight man who has more facial scrubs and hair products than I do. The guy who wears pink shirts. The television ads promoting men's beauty products, the ones that place them in subordinate roles or downplay them ... if there's an add with two people where one is supposed to be clumsy and clueless, it will be the man, because if it was the woman that would be sexist.
    There are tons of other things. I'm sure, on their own, the above examples are harmless, but put together I think it's the cause of metrosexuals and feminisation of men, somewhat. Maybe I'm being too old fashioned, but I'm still a woman and I want a MAN.

It's like that with any demographic that has been an oppressor. Women have been oppressed, so you can't portray them negatively. Same with blacks. The only group that is still considered sub-human in today's society is homosexuals. (And to a lesser extent, fat people.) One day (when we don't have a homophobe in the white house) we won't be able to make fun of them either. If you are a white, heterosexual, Christian male, you are the victim of more unwarranted prejudice than any other demographic, except in cases in which politics plays a role, i.e. Muslims. That's why black comedians can tell racist jokes and whites can't. That's why on television the man is always the fat oaf and the source of the comic relief, while the woman is the voice of reason. It's sad really.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you are overthinking this. Sex sells. Media promotes sex (and related products)to make money. It was only a matter of time before men were targeted to purchase "beauty supplies", just as women have been for years and years.

As for the negative examples of men on TV: I'm not sure they are being portrayed any worse now than they have been in the past. Ever heard of the Honeymooners? All in the Family? Anyway, I don't really watch network TV. All of the characters are idiots, and they are meant to appeal to idiots.

And I think it is ridiculous to try and paint white, Christian males as the victims of prejudice.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I've come to terms with the fact that sex sells
    I've just been thinking alot about how it's now 'in' to be the sensetive new age guy .... echh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not much a fan of overly sensitive males OR females, to be honest.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    And I think it is ridiculous to try and paint white, Christian males as the victims of prejudice.
    And that's where the prejudice is. No one thinks it's possible, so they ignore it when it happens. We are the victims of prejudice, simply because we're not allowed to be prejudiced like everyone else. How many black comics have made a career out of insulting white people? Could a white comic do that? Very rarely. Frankly, I'm tired of having to defend myself from people who accuse me of being racist, just because I'm white. Accusing someone of racism can be a form of racism.

And Edith from All in the Family was an idiot.

eddie Murphy
    anyone seen his standups?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, Edith was an idiot, and she was married to an even bigger idiot.

White, Christian males are the most powerful group of people in the world. You are going to have a really hard time gaining any sympathy for your point of view except amongst other white, Christian males (and their mommys).

I'm not trying to gain sympathy. I'm just pointing out the fact that when someone is prejudiced towards white men, no one says a thing in their defense. It's not that the prejudice itself is any worse. It's just the level of acceptance of that prejudice that bothers me. If I were to say that women were unintelligent, several people would immediately rise to their defense. But if a woman said that men were unintelligent, women would smile and nod, and men wouldn't be able to say a damn thing. If you see a couple on the street and the man slaps the woman, people would assume the man was an abusive asshole. But if a woman slapped a man, they would say he probably had it comming. There are always exceptions of course, but this is mainly concerning the media and its portrayal of men as brutish retards.

Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    There are tons of other things. I'm sure, on their own, the above examples are harmless, but put together I think it's the cause of metrosexuals and feminisation of men, somewhat. Maybe I'm being too old fashioned, but I'm still a woman and I want a MAN.
    Rant

Oh yes, the feminisation of men has been happening for quite awhile now. The race towards equality has fuelled a rush towards androginy in both men and women. The women have seen the equal opportunities and availble places that require a form of musculinity so they develop it and go for it. They take up boxing and martial arts classes, go to Gym to become stronger more confident and more dominant.

While men had seen the same eqaul opportunity on the other side of the fence. Why waste time being the hunter when you can be irresitible and attract women and opportunities instead? They wear clothing that stands out. Take up dancing lessons to learn hot moves that make people go wild. They become the first impression that lasts and stays in your memory for long after they are no longer physcially present. Being musculine and feminine at the same time and using both to your advantage depending on the situation opens up a whole new door of opportunities that was never available to them.

Add into the mix the materialism and "eternal youth" aspects that our culture seems to encourage and you can see the reason and the "why".

/Rant
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    eddie Murphy
    anyone seen his standups?
    Both Delirious and Raw about 30 times
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Hey, here's a hypothetical question for you. If I met a girl, hit it off, and went on a date, and at said date she asked me what I do for a living, and I said I wanted to be a house husband, do you think I'd get a second date? Just something to marinate on.

Anyway, I say you get to pick: Either you get to vote, or you get men who don't wear pink. It's that simple.

anachronistic Guest
    Maybe it's an Australian thing. I'm only in the bathroom washing as long as I need to be, which is usually 15-20 minutes.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    All I have to say is this kind of man will never lack a willing partner:

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    All I have to say is this kind of man will never lack a willing partner:
    Be it male or female
    Last edited by Mish; 05-12-07 at 05:48 PM.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast