+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: at my wit's end

at my wit's end

I'll try to be as accurate and brief as possible.

Been married almost 12 years. We fell madly/insanly in love and got married 13 months later. He always new what I needed, wanted... what I was thinking even. We both did. It was nuts because no one ever knew me like that... no one could affect me like that. No one ever really took the time to understand this complicated person: me. So of course I fell in love with him. And it was great. Then he slowly but surely stopped being that person. Seemed he would retreat into himself and be more comfortable there. Wouldn't talk, wouldn't inquire as to how I am or show interest in how I'm feeling, etc, even when I said I was ill. Stopped saying i love you. Stopped writing little notes. That whole bit. I never cheated. Never did anything but try to please him and be his friend, lover and support. I was never materialistic. Never demanded "things" like many women do. Not even a diamond ring. I wasn't interested in that. Just him! Loved talking to him but it stopped. Loved hearing he loved me but it stopped. I am the only one saying it now, pretty much. Hell say it back but hardly ever first. Seems he never wants to do anything anymore except drink beer and watch tv. Every time I'd have an issue with him, he'd turn inside himself and get very angry.
    So here we are at present. Things have been up and down in the meantime. He claims to love me. Claims to be loyal only to me and have zero interest in anyone else the whole time. But he won't touch me (in any way), won't say he loves me, won't talk to me, won't do things with me, won't discuss our relationship with me. Doesn't seem to have any kind of passion for anything in life. Just wants to drink and watch tv. Same thing, day in, day out. I'm going out of my mind on MANY levels. I don't know what to do or think anymore. I feel utterly invisible. When I try and talk to him, he shuts me out. Says he doesn't want to have another one of those, "conversations" (said with comtempt). Then I get punished (silent treatment) for a week or more because I'm, "starting trouble again". Translated: I'm trying to work it out. To communicate. He seems to have a huge resentment towards me and I don't know why. He says because I keep causing problems/trouble in our relationship. It seems totally insane to me. I take care of the whole house, I cook, clean, work, am there for him, don't blow money, don't demand gifts, I'm his #1 fan, I support, I encourage, I praise, I thank. Hell! Any ideas guys? I'm totally and desperatly lost here. Not to mention heartbroken and losing any hope I have left. I feel trapped... I actually feel the way you feel when someone dies... that inescapable grief where you know there's nothing left to do to fix it.
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    He's stopped trying. You need to find out why.

Do you have kids?

Yes, but they dont' live with us. They're young adults.

Sorry... for some reason, I only saw the question about kids.

He has told me why. And it's because I'm causing trouble and he has no hope.
    It seems like I'm leaving something out, but I'm not. The normal relationship stuff is what he cannot seem to handle. He says we shouldn't have any issues like that... that it's my doing.
    *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Sorry... for some reason, I only saw the question about kids.

He has told me why. And it's because I'm causing trouble and he has no hope.
    It seems like I'm leaving something out, but I'm not. The normal relationship stuff is what he cannot seem to handle. He says we shouldn't have any issues like that... that it's my doing.
    *sigh*
    Have you suggested marriage counseling?

Sounds like my ex-husband, only he was still happy to receive blowjobs. Other than that, we could be twins, except for the fact that at the point in my marriage where I determined I was going to commit suicide or homicide, my daughter was only seven years old.

That, for me, is a biggie. I felt that I had a responsibility to her to either fix that marriage or end it. Your circumstance is completely different in that regard.

Okay, first things first: is he retired or something? How is it that he has the leisure to sit around and watch TV while drinking beer all day? And what do you do all day, besides cater to his needs?

I see an opportunity, here. You've made it abundantly clear to him that he isn't holding up his end of the relationship, and he, for whatever reason, isn't stepping up. So what do you want to do? I know you want your old husband back, but he's gone. Gone. I think you should mourn him for a while and then take a long look at the rest of your life.

You can either stay married to this guy, this disappointing person, and realize that the disappointment is largely due to your own expectations, which YOU can revise. You can get out into the world and start some things going for yourself. It sounds like he provides for you- don't take that for granted. That gives you a measure of freedom to do things outside the home that you find interesting.

OR you could divorce him. You seem to be romantically inclined, and to need a strong emotional connection to feel right. I think you're fooling yourself if you think ANY man on this planet is likely to stay romantic forever. They just aren't built that way, so trading him in on another one that might, very possibly, end up the same might just be a waste of time.

"I have learned there is very little difference in husbands, so you might as well keep the first one."
    -Golda Meir
    Last edited by Gigabitch; 07-12-07 at 04:54 AM.
    Spammer Spanker

Yes, of course. And for years now. We did go for awhile but he'd only get mad when the person told him something about himself he didn't like. Then he said he wouldn't go ever again but recently broke that and said he'd go if I did all the arranging. For once I wish he'd arrange something. Anything. I do everything. But yeah, I haven't done it yet.

I never said he sat around all day, drinking and watching tv. That's only on weekends and in the evenings, when he's not working. Otherwise, he's working. We own our own business. The hours are usually pretty flexible and he often gets off work in the afternoon. He doesn't have to drive far, ever. It's not that stressful. It's going well.
    And I have thought about suicide. A LOT. As I said, I feel trapped in this and no way out is easy or even desireable. What can I say... I love him! sounds stupid to say it...
    I don't work in our business... I have my own. I do my own work at home and also take care of everything else around here. I honestly don't have time to go out doing things I find interesting. My plate's full.
    I was never so delusional to think he would remain so romantic forever. I knew it would wane. That's a given with both genders. But to completely ignore me, my needs (basic ones), etc, is way beyond that. I don't want a bunch of gooey stuff. Just solid love, friendship, intimacy, communication, etc. He isn't capable of anything anymore, or so it seems. Sometimes it feels like he tolerates me. Like I'm a disease in his life. I'm very good at knowing how to be a good friend to people in my life, but this is impossible. I feel like I'm supposed to treat him like I need him to treat me. Like I'm supposed to be both man AND woman in this. Meet everyone's needs, including my own. And like it!

Yes, of course. And for years now. We did go for awhile but he'd only get mad when the person told him something about himself he didn't like. Then he said he wouldn't go ever again but recently broke that and said he'd go if I did all the arranging. For once I wish he'd arrange something. Anything. I do everything. But yeah, I haven't done it yet.
    Well, you could be the bigger person (as it sounds like you're used to being) and make the arrangements to go to marriage counseling. If he gets mad at the new counselor and refuses to take the opportunity to better your marriage, then you have to leave him.
    I know it's disparaging to think about, but BOTH people must be vested in improving a relationship or it's pretty much over.

I'm VERY grateful to everyone's that's responding. Really I am, but are any guys going to step up and give me something from a guy's perspective?

Yes, you're right. Both spouses have to be vested... but if one is sick, stuck or whatever, the other must fill the gap. I'm trying without being rediculous. Maybe it's already rediculous. I still have a little tiny bit of hope, so I keep trying.
    He just recently said he'd go again so I will get to it eventually. I'm super busy right now getting ready for a solo show I'm in. It's taking every spare second from me.

Yes, you're right. Both spouses have to be vested... but if one is sick, stuck or whatever, the other must fill the gap. I'm trying without being rediculous. Maybe it's already rediculous. I still have a little tiny bit of hope, so I keep trying.
    He just recently said he'd go again so I will get to it eventually. I'm super busy right now getting ready for a solo show I'm in. It's taking every spare second from me.
    It's normal to hang on and feel a tiny bit of hope. You remember the good times and the love and want, so badly, to have at least some of it back.
    I think if he's willing to go to counseling, it's a good sign. He hasn't completely given up yet.
    I know you're busy right now, but as soon as you get even the littlest chance, contact a marriage counselor and get that set up...before he changes his mind again.

Best wishes.

I never said he sat around all day, drinking and watching tv.
    Actually, ya did:
    Just wants to drink and watch tv. Same thing, day in, day out.
    It sounds bleak, and what's worse, it sounds typical. If you can get him to go to counseling, I'll be amazed. It sounds like he's at the end of his tether with this whole "relationship" thing.

It's insulting, isn't it? Here you are, able to do everything you do and carry the marriage as well and he really just isn't interested in doing the work.

I think guys think they can put some initial investment into a relationship and it will just keep going, all on it's own. I don't know why they think this. Men understand that things like cars and lawns have to be maintained, but he's treating your marriage like Astroturf instead. No maintenance.

Lesson learned, all you young'uns out there, thinking you're doing yourselves a favor being the high-performance, low-maintenance girlfriend. Wrong. You're setting yourself up for this situation.

Invisible, I suggest you start insisting on "date night" at the very least.
    Spammer Spanker

I was trying to save time and space by being as detailed as I could, and as brief. Obviously I ran the risk of being misunderstood. So I'll clarify...
    I never actually said he drinks and does tv, all day. I meant daily. As I said earlier.
    I'm by no means, low maintenance. I just don't demand materialistic stuff for proof of love. This is what I meant. We sure used to do all kinds of things together. But he's got some bad stuff going on. His stuff. Not mine.
    Again, guys? pipe up dammit. This is getting old. I don't have the time nor the inclination to keep checking this thread. For some reason I thought I'd get some imput. Or, should I say, some menput. hah :p

I'm VERY grateful to everyone's that's responding. Really I am, but are any guys going to step up and give me something from a guy's perspective?
    Okay

I could be wrong here, but from what I've read so far, the situation seems regular

Whoops

What?

Shock Horror!

Sorry. By regular I mean that the situation you are in is quite common with couples these days (Not that it's normal) There are very few couples I know who had been together for over 12 years who still manage to touch each other without feelings of revulsion. Generally, after first couple of years together the sexual intimacy begins to fade with familiarity, routine and lack of experimentation and opening up of new doors to new experiences. Then like a time bomb other things begin to follow. Emotional reciprocation, intimacy, affection, sentiment all slowly start going down the drain one after another. It's a chain reaction, domino affect, first piece falls and then the other pieces follow.

So, what can be done to stop this effect?

This is the question that I don't think all of us combined will be able to answer. Though, I am of the opinion I know that one thing that may not provide the best solution to this is divorce. When I think about it I ask myself is that just quick remedy for something that would repeat itself after 12 years with another person if you don't find the right solution right now?

The good news is that it's possible to find a solution. The answer to this ultimately lies within yourself and him. A lot of introspection is required to find the actual problem. The actual problem (having incubated for over 12 years) will be a complicated puzzle, a knot which needs to be untangled piece by piece. This untangling will need to be done with the intent to fix the actual problem not to pass the blame. Ultimately this is not the question of who's right and who's wrong, it's a question of what is missing in the relationship to have brought it to this stage, what needs to happen to fix that and are both partners willing to cooperate to arrive at that fixing point?

Your best friends are listening and understanding. Understanding of the needs of both you and your partner. And desires, what is being met and how and what isn't. What is actually missing? A book I found useful is called "7 habits of highly effective people". There is a whole chapter in this book on "empathic listening" I think this will do a great service to you.

One more thing though, if you are thinking about suicide you need to see therapist. It means you are lacking deep down inside a resolve to plan and actively seek a solution (even if it is a desperate situation that doesn't have a workable solution in hindsight). This is going to be a huge challenge and you need to build up skills that encourage you to seek solutions instead of giving up hope.

Like the story about two frogs in a bucket of cream. The frog that stopped trying to get out drowned, while the one that didn't churned cream into butter and was able to escape. This is a metaphor for most problems (even impossible ones) having a solution. They only ever get a hold of us when we stop trying.

Because solution is out there. You just need to know where to look and how to look for it in order to find it.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast