View Poll Results: What would it take for you to end a marriage?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never, ever get divorced

0 0%
  • Only if they cheated. I could take anything else.

4 33.33%
  • The common three: Abuse, Abandonment or Insantiy

8 66.67%
  • If my spouse "let him/ herself go" and got unattractive

0 0%
  • If I started getting a "weird feeling", I would end it immediately.

0 0%
+ Follow This Topic

Thread: For Better or For Worse.....

For Better or For Worse.....

How far does it go? Some people take that vow to mean no matter what, forgiving all manner of transgressions and trouble. Others sign those divorce papers at the slightest provocation.

Sandra Day O'Connor resigned from the Supreme Court to spend more time with her husband, who had developed Alzheimer's. He now lives in a care facility and is in love with another patient there, having no idea who his wife is when he sees her. She isn't bitter at all. Likes to see him happy. Now, that's commitment, IMO. Could you do that?
    Spammer Spanker

I'm a die-hard when it comes to loving someone, so I'd like to think I could do that.
    But, truth be told, it's hard to say until you're faced with a similar situation.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post

Sandra Day O'Connor resigned from the Supreme Court to spend more time with her husband, who had developed Alzheimer's. He now lives in a care facility and is in love with another patient there, having no idea who his wife is when he sees her. She isn't bitter at all. Likes to see him happy. Now, that's commitment, IMO. Could you do that?
    I hadn't heard about this... I think that is awesome! Anyway, I doubt she has any issues about having a romantic rival. Alzheimers is such an ugly disease, I believe her when she says she is glad to see him happy. Those patients really suffer a lot, and so do their families. By the end, the patient bears no resemblence to the person they were when they were healthy. She has certainly already mourned the loss of the man she married.

Yeah, I believe I could do this, too.
    Last edited by vashti; 07-12-07 at 08:39 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My girlfriend's personality definitely beautified what I didn't initially find attractive.

But since the very first time I met her, she's lost weight, eats a high vegetable/low fat diet, grown her hair out, and just as ever before, I love just talking to, and hanging out with her.

The sex helps too.

I understand she's not always gonna be in the shape she's in, but to be fair, that's not what attracted me to her in the first place. Cheating though? I might divorce over cheating, but I did the whole abuse choice.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I could do that. Would. Will, if it comes to it. In fact, I was just thinking of this scenario when I answered #3 about Insanity. This kind of insanity is meant to be tolerated. Its what the vow means.

For me, its about motives & choice. He didn't choose to get sick.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 07-12-07 at 08:35 AM.

I voted #3 mainly because it had abuse in it. I don't think abuse should be tolerated.

The other two would depend on the circumstance. For example if someone's illness made them unnaturally abusive.

The story of Sandra Day O'Connor is an amazing one. Would I be able to do it? Depends on where in the marriage we were at. If we were only a year into marriage and she completely deteriorated, probably not. But if it was towards out 60s / 70s and we have an entire history of raising a family together and we are almost a one person, then I would stay. Long memories of her and our relationship as well as deep empathy I would feel for this amazing person would not allow me to do otherwise.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Probably the third. At least, that's what I hold myself up to.

They **** with me, they're gone. Other than that, it's for better or worse.

Probably why I won't get married.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Depends. If we have children I'd stick with it until there was so much tension it was doing them more harm than good.

No children and I'd be more liable to ditch her.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein