+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Protestant Family and my search for truth.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    again, by that definition, science could be a religion simply because I believe that, say, the big bang is the most likely theory on how the universe was created. Science also tells me what happens to me after I die.
    but obviously, science is not a religion. But your definition of religion as it is must include science; that's a tip off that your definition is off.
    No, science is not a religion, because it's realization based on facts. A theory is technically a religion, yes. Just because it is a theory developed based on science does not mean it isn't a religion. It's not like every religion is based on a magical book based on fairy tales. buddhism for example is basically a theory based on observations. *shrug*

Your saying "I believe that [such and such] happened" is religion, until it becomes "I know, because it is scientifically proven that [such and such] happened"

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Well some teachings do, but there are quite a few that don't. You should really read about it, I think you'd find it interesting.
    ah, I see, well, then it depends on the teaching you follow. Personally I don't care to be told how to live morally.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This thread is sucking. I've heard the same boring arguments every single time this topic pops up. Really, does anyone think the "flying spagetti monster" argument is still worth chuckling over? Or that the "I know because I know" argument is the least bit persuasive? As I said before, you are all wankers.

Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

But the real issue is whether or not 'wing is going to get ass-raped by religion during the winter break this year, and if so, how should he react?

Dude, has your family ever proven themselves to be reasonable in any way? Not that I remember. I'm hoping that you aren't going to be thrown out of the house for denying Christ as your Lord and Savior. If this happens, do you have any place to go?
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    lol I guess the other way around as well.
    That too. Sorry, I just kinda quickly burped out that particular thought.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Really, does anyone think the "flying spagetti monster" argument is still worth chuckling over?
    Absolutely! Its just a reminder that atheists as a lot are just getting started on fighting back. And past time, too.

But if you are truly bored & want to see an amazing debunking of creationism/ID check this out:
    OV, I strongly recommend this for you, you will love it

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAq9bmCeR0[/ame]
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 21-12-07 at 01:52 AM.

anachronistic Guest
    This thread is sucking. I've heard the same boring arguments every single time this topic pops up. Really, does anyone think the "flying spagetti monster" argument is still worth chuckling over? Or that the "I know because I know" argument is the least bit persuasive? As I said before, you are all wankers.

A kind, mature, respectable person you are. I don't think I've heard anyone over the age of 18 use that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    But the real issue is whether or not 'wing is going to get ass-raped by religion during the winter break this year, and if so, how should he react?

Dude, has your family ever proven themselves to be reasonable in any way? Not that I remember. I'm hoping that you aren't going to be thrown out of the house for denying Christ as your Lord and Savior. If this happens, do you have any place to go?
    Thanks for trying to revive the thread. I have many places to go. I have earned the respect of many people. I know several that would take care of me in such a way. My worry though is losing my family. I wish there was a way to just be myself and them accept it. I don't want to inject them with the fear that I'll go to hell. But anyway, I think I will just keep the religion to myself from now on and if they ask I will tell them it's none of their business. Atleast I admitted it.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    ah, I see, well, then it depends on the teaching you follow. Personally I don't care to be told how to live morally.
    So in another sense, you'd rather reinvent the wheel? Well it's your decision, not saying it's bad, but I feel sorry for people that never go through a search of truth. That never step outside their beliefs and try to find different perspectives.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    *wank*
    *wank*
    *wank*
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    *wank*
    *wank*
    *wank*
    Hahahah! Vashti is emasturbating!

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Anything is possible. Anything. However, we'd still be trouncing through the woods with sharpened sticks if we treated every possibility with equal consideration. In order to get anywhere in life you have to focus on that which is supported in some way by evidence. If I assume unicorns exist simply because I cannot absolutely prove that they do not, well, I'd be an idiot, wouldn't I? Show me a snapped horn lying next to a set of hoof tracks and I'll agree that they might just exist after all and I would consider further research. Until then, I frankly don't care how much faith you have in unicorns or how you just KNOW unicorns exist or how you once saw a unicorn when you were all alone. By extension, I do not believe gods exist, nor do I entertain the possibility that such things exists. The day someone brings me evidence is the day I consider that there might just be a god after all.
    Last edited by Gribble; 21-12-07 at 05:21 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Here's what I think:

All Religious things that make people want to do good things should be encouraged. All Religious things that make people want to do bad things should be discouraged. If anyone wants to help the poor because if they do they're going to go to heaven, who am I to argue with them? Who's with me?

All we need to do now is find out the knowledge of good and evil
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think the bad FAR outweighs the good when it comes to religion. Any religion.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

They do save hundreds of thousands of lives through charity, donations, community and volunteer work. I don't know any other organized entity that can compare to organized Religion in the amount of good that's being done. Maybe it's not as widely advertised as the "bad", but I'm of the opinion the good far outweighs the bad.

Don't forget where the organized medical organizations come from, early hospitals (esp hôtel-Dieu) and who were the early nurses. And who was first and still is responsible for a lot of funding of education as well (And I'm not talking just about the Catholic schools)
    Last edited by Mish; 21-12-07 at 08:20 PM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Anything is possible. Anything. However, we'd still be trouncing through the woods with sharpened sticks if we treated every possibility with equal consideration. In order to get anywhere in life you have to focus on that which is supported in some way by evidence. If I assume unicorns exist simply because I cannot absolutely prove that they do not, well, I'd be an idiot, wouldn't I? Show me a snapped horn lying next to a set of hoof tracks and I'll agree that they might just exist after all and I would consider further research. Until then, I frankly don't care how much faith you have in unicorns or how you just KNOW unicorns exist or how you once saw a unicorn when you were all alone. By extension, I do not believe gods exist, nor do I entertain the possibility that such things exists. The day someone brings me evidence is the day I consider that there might just be a god after all.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHiyMOqWNbE"]YouTube - All Ideas are NOT Created Equal[/ame]

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast