+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A cure for depression?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Oh bull shit. Depressions, Anorexia, and a bunch of others ....its all bull shit made up by attention craving Americans.

Same shit with depression...

I feel so saaaad ...it must be a sickness...I must be sick....give me pills...fix this!
    Anorexia maybe some special type of phobia, not depression. Seriously, aren't you some sort of bio major? What would happen if you took 150mg of ecstasy every night for a week straight, think you wouldn't have depressive symptoms for a long time?

Aren't there some people who piss you off with their nonstop happiness and energy? Wouldn't you agree that there are people who at least appear to fall on the other end of the spectrum ("manics", even though depressed and elevated moods kind of occupy different ladders)?

A long time ago I took the same ignorant attitude that you did, but at the time I was probably just in denial because I was slipping into my own depression. You're vastly underestimating the complexity of the human brain and psyche when you say stupid shit like that and expect people's brains to operate in such a simple, mechanical way. "Look, there's food on the table and I'm wearing clothes, I therefore must be happy!"

Has it ever occured to you that mood is something largely outside of conscious control unless you're a meditating monk or something? Think people can will themselves into feeling better?

And it might be an attention grabbing technique for some people, but not for many. I can almost guarantee nobody would have guessed I was depressed in high school or middle school. I looked, dressed, and acted normal. That's why my parents were so confused when I asked to go to a doctor for depression after a massive crash when I ended up sleeping like 15 hours a day for several days.

I have a great life, and I know that consciously. But guess what? Some little part of my subconscious disagrees somewhere

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mish, you speak as though there has been some definitive discovery about the cause of depression when I know very well there is no consensus. The best the medical world can come up with is that it results from a combination of genetic, biochemical, environmental, and psychological factors.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Anorexia maybe some special type of phobia, not depression. Seriously, aren't you some sort of bio major? What would happen if you took 150mg of ecstasy every night for a week straight, think you wouldn't have depressive symptoms for a long time?
    Claiming that depression is some sort of brain disease is like claiming that happiness is some sort of brain disease? If so than I agree...but at what expense? the expense that we can treat even happiness? why? if you feel happy than GREAT if you feel like shit than you feel like shit for a reason and you SHOULD feel like shit. I am a micro-biologist and most people who have a disorder such as anorexia and depression are at fault them self because of the way they view their own image and environment around them . Sticking food in your mouth isn't that hard and it should taste freaking good but all of a sudden all these girls feel like they must stop eating to make them self look better...just look at the facts, the highest percentage of anorexia is in the rich white girl category. It is rare as it is to find a male anorexic ... why? because the anorexia is a condition that the woman places herself in because of what the environment treats her like. You can treat it with medicine, I never said you can't...but I just think it shouldn't be done. If we treat these...my question is where do we stop? Soon we will be emotionless zombies walking around feeding ourselves with pills just to feel nothing.

Has it ever occured to you that mood is something largely outside of conscious control unless you're a meditating monk or something? Think people can will themselves into feeling better?
    What the hell? I never said you can meditate it away. In-fact I am claiming that opposite. But what you people claim is that it is in your head and that medicine is the answer...I am saying it is in the brain AND environment and "Go **** yourself we all have problems" is the answer. It is not ignorant, psychology has been trying to cure everything...soon .. the pill to get rid of happiness and make your penis larger will be out. You can f*ck your wife and not care all at the same time!. yeay.

I have a great life, and I know that consciously. But guess what? Some little part of my subconscious disagrees somewhere
    So the answer is than to take a pill that fools your mind to believe that everything is ok by shutting off the part that is probably sad because of the fact that your life isn't as good as you would like it to be? Why don't we just stick ourselves in the matrix while we are at it and delete the memories of the real world.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 26-12-07 at 12:11 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Claiming that depression is some sort of brain disease is like claiming that happiness is some sort of brain disease? If so than I agree...but at what expense? the expense that we can treat even happiness? why? if you feel happy than GREAT if you feel like shit than you feel like shit for a reason and you SHOULD feel like shit.
    I don't why you are so insistant on using the word "disease" to describe depression. It's a disorder, not a disease. My point about mania is that there is a spectrum of mood disorders, again pointing to the fact that it's not a disease but disorder

You don't always feel like shit for a reason (or at least a good reason). Like when I was younger, I didn't have a reason to feel shitty, but I did. And shitty isn't really the best word. Life is just ridiculously gray and dull and nothing seems worth doing

I don't why you are so insistant on using the word "disease" to describe depression. It's a disorder, not a disease. My point about mania is that there is a spectrum of mood disorders, again pointing to the fact that it's not a disease but disorder

You don't always feel like shit for a reason (or at least a good reason). Like when I was younger, I didn't have a reason to feel shitty, but I did. And shitty isn't really the best word. Life is just ridiculously gray and dull and nothing seems worth doing
    read the rest I wrote. So you finally realize that life sucks and is pointless (which it is) and you want the doc to take it away? Yea.......

If so than happiness and love is a disorder as well.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Soon we will be emotionless zombies walking around feeding ourselves with pills just to feel nothing.

"Go **** yourself we all have problems" is the answer.

So the answer is than to take a pill that fools your mind to believe that everything is ok
    On many days I was like an emotionless zombie while depressed. Feelings of hollowness such as that alternate with sadness and sometimes random bursts of happiness

The "Go **** yourself we all have problems" attitude.. What is the problem I have to combat? It's not always so obvious

A pill is not fooling your mind into believing everything is OK. It is reestablishing rational thought in your brain. When I see a glass of orange juice on the table I'm not going to feel bad because there isn't any pulp in it or some stupid crap like that. Things are put into a normal perspective. Happiness and love are normal, happiness all the time is not, and neither is happiness over something like seeing the weather forecast and not seeing a cloud

the cure is: talk to someone.

see a psychologists, tell your doctor, or even just talk with a close friend about it. Seriously. Pills should never be used as the only treatment. The side effects are insane, you should only take anti-depressants if you're in danger of hurting yourself or others.

my dad is currently reading a book by Joachim Bauer, which says that the newest research strongly suggests that:

1. there is no such thing as "just a chemical imbalance" (but of course, it is politically incorrect to say it, as it implies that some people are just "weaker" than others, though thats not really what it means. Of course, the debate on that is still going strong. The companies have a strong interest in lobbying doctors to prescribe their drugs)

2. There is always an underlying psychological cause-- often this is even unknown to the depressed person, though. It can even be something small or seemingly insignificant. It does not make it the depressed person's "fault" and It does not mean that the person can just "pull themselves together" without help.

3. people who go on anti-depressants without any other treatment (that is, psychotherapy) are much more likely to develop chronic depression.

there was recently a report on the radio here about mental institution admissions, how admissions for schizophrenia have consistently gone down, showing that we're dealing with it properly, but, admissions for depression are going up and up, and, quote, "even though" prescriptions for anti-depressants have gone up and up, too. Huh, maybe a pattern?

4. anti-depressants should only be used in extreme cases and in combination with therapy.

OV is a mystery.

And yes, depression actually is the knowing how much life sucks. I know mine sucks quite a lot, and i am stuck in my thoughts that it sucks so much. I am positive, am funny, make jokes, but deep inside i know my life just sucks and funny side is just shallowness. i don't know if drugs really help or not, but maybe, just maybe they can be a distraction from negative thoughts.

And i have a girl friend who has had anorexia and two attempts of suicide. To be honest, she seems to be attention craver to me. But want to know the truth? Depression actually developes because of lack of attention. And being negative and suicidial is just one way of gaining attention if anything else fails, product of loneliness and constant routine. If you look at history of medics, psychology etc, you will realize that depression actually mostly is the feeling of being alone.
    Last edited by boobaa; 27-12-07 at 06:14 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Mish, you speak as though there has been some definitive discovery about the cause of depression when I know very well there is no consensus. The best the medical world can come up with is that it results from a combination of genetic, biochemical, environmental, and psychological factors.
    I'm just saying that drugs are not the answer. They mostly cure the symptoms but not the cause. If someone wants to beat depression for good they need to learn a few life skills. (Including exercise, vitamins, relaxation, social skills etcs..)
    Last edited by Mish; 27-12-07 at 06:45 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I'm just saying that drugs are not the answer. They mostly cure the symptoms but not the cause. If someone wants to beat depression for good they need to learn a few life skills.
    I'm trying, Mish. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

If so than happiness and love is a disorder as well.
    I agree that love (like depression) could be categorized as an emotional disorder, but because the feeling is generally pleasant, people are willing to live with it.

BTW - this is why it is so difficult to keep manic depressives on their meds... they can't stand being down so low, but they LOVE being manic.
    Last edited by vashti; 27-12-07 at 07:10 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love it when a moron like OV rants on and on in this opinionated manner when he so obviously has not the faintest idea of what he's on about. Gives me a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I'm trying, Mish. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
    Have a look at this site Giga, I think they nailed down a lot of interesting remedies (outside of drugs) [url]http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/Treating_Depression/treating.htm[/url]

I don't think I can come up with a better advice than them. But one thing that helps a little bit for certain is to always have a friendly ear of someone. We all need re-assurance from time to time.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

People need to understand the difference between depression: the emotion, and depression: the disorder. If you've never had clinical depression, you have no right to act as though you know what the **** you are talking about. Just because someone doesn't carry a big flag prolaiming their disorder (wheelchair, crutches, seeing eye dog...) doesn't mean they're making it up. You can't cure clinical depression by having sex or playing with a puppy, just like you can't cure dyslexia, autism, or down syndrome by doing the same things.

As far as a cure for depression, try this on for size.
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z3d1SwwG8d8"]YouTube - The Wedge Master[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    I love it when a moron like OV rants on and on in this opinionated manner when he so obviously has not the faintest idea of what he's on about. Gives me a good laugh.
    I like responses like this because they prove your unwillingness to debate. You proved so much by attacking me instead of the topic. You are the ****ing moron and you know jack shit...see ...I can do it too.

A pill is not fooling your mind into believing everything is OK. It is reestablishing rational thought in your brain. When I see a glass of orange juice on the table I'm not going to feel bad because there isn't any pulp in it or some stupid crap like that. Things are put into a normal perspective. Happiness and love are normal, happiness all the time is not, and neither is happiness over something like seeing the weather forecast and not seeing a cloud
    Re-establishing rational thought in your brain? assuming you have it in the first place? It sounds like it is fooling you into thinking something IS something that it ISN'T. If you alter behavior you alter the person that they are. Anyways, pulp in orange juice pisses the **** out of me..I hate it...and it does make me angry...its normal..things that I hate are SUPPOSED to piss me off. What is so wrong with being happy when the weather is going to be good?

Quote Originally Posted by EmoBlackBelt View Post
    People need to understand the difference between depression: the emotion, and depression: the disorder.
    We do understand. There isn't any difference other than a prescription for a drug that will probably do more harm than good. People will take an emotion and make it sounds like it is some kind of a disorder to cope with it better. Women do this, it is so annoying...they make EVERYTHING sound so much more complicated than it is.

Girl: "I can't eat because I have a disorder!"
    Translation: "I don't want to stick food into my mouth because it might make me fat!"

Person: "I am depressed, I must be ill with this depression disorder"
    Translation: "My life sucks but getting some pity from people might make me feel better"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    the cure is: talk to someone.

see a psychologists, tell your doctor, or even just talk with a close friend about it. Seriously. Pills should never be used as the only treatment. The side effects are insane, you should only take anti-depressants if you're in danger of hurting yourself or others.
    Talking to someone? So the power of suggestion now will cure it? Thats pretty much what I am saying. It is all external and people just want to put the blame on some disorder.

That's why my parents were so confused when I asked to go to a doctor for depression after a massive crash when I ended up sleeping like 15 hours a day for several days.
    You just answered your own question. It isn't a disorder, it was a car crash. An external event that caused your life to SUCK more and you to hate it and thus be depressed.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 27-12-07 at 04:22 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast