+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A cure for depression?

A cure for depression?

Hi there!

I've been constantly wondering, if there is a cure for thing called depression? How do you get over it?

I think I've developed myself a chronic one and end up as a drunkard... I just can't get over it, there are barely any days when bad feelings don't hit my head. I think its partially because I am sort of a loner and I am a loner because of depression, and I have strong feeling I am stuck in life. Now I can't even sleep normally, have eating problems and have occasional moments of anger.

I don't quite think I have low self-esteem, although there are times... But more likely have just negative thoughts about I don't know what. I know there is physically nothing wrong with me and I am actually fun person to be with, but somehow I always end up as a loner despite many tries to fit in or just get used.

I have never been into psychologists so I have no idea whats it like. I have also heard about those anti-depression pills, but I don't believe in them, I think its just commerce. Anyone used them, what kind of effect they have?
    Don't expect anything.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think if you are suffering from depression, you should definitely lay off the alcohol which is a depressant and will make your symptoms even worse.

Some depression is due to a chemical imbalance in the brain. That sort of depression is treated with medication and psychotherapy. Other depressions can be managed by regular, vigorous exercise, sunshine, and avoiding inactivity.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've been depressed since elementary school, it runs in my family. So I'm talking out of some experience

Tell your doctor! Hopefully he/she will give you antidepressants. I take prozac daily and it is truely a miracle drug. Give it some time, the change is amazing and you will feel sooo much better.

Secondly, stop drinking. I became something of an alcoholic this year again partly due to the depression, not getting real drunk all the time but like 6 shots every night before bed. That, plus cat in the morning every now and then... Stopping is hard. Hopefully you have willpower to do that. If you don't, you might want to check out AA, I've only been to a few online meetings of theirs. Oh yeah, I was drinking like this up until early June but since only get wasted on the weekends at college parties.

My grandpa, who is also depressed, not only takes medications for it but during the fall, winter and spring stares at a light for extended periods of time.

But seriously, alcohol will only prolong the trouble and make it significantly worse. Stop now

If you want to talk with me at all about anything like just, feel free to send me a private message

I have tried sunshine and exercise, they only work temporarily and eventually you get bored of it and develop depression again. Whats the use if you can't share? Besides, there is no much light where I live. There should be snow in this time of year, but climate has changed and now its just dark old windy moist and poopy dirt mess out there.

What is AA?
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    AA stands for alcoholics annonymous, it is a program designed to help alcoholics overcome their addiction

Seriously, ask your doctor about prozac (fluoxetine). My parents, who aren't depressed, told me about excercising, eating right, sunshine, etc, and I tried but motivation left way too fast. You really need prozac or something like that to get out of depression. Once you are on prozac (I really hope you can get it), excercise, get sunshine, etc as well.

I don't know if they have AA in Estonia.

I've managed to control depression with vitamins, believe it or not. If I take them every day, I'm okay. if I stop, it's only a matter of days until I start to feel wretched again. This has happened too many times to be a coincidence.

Try taking some amino acids and St. John's Wort. Yes, it's hippy crap, but it works for some people. If you give that a shot and it doesn't work after a month or so, you might want to look into the meds.
    Spammer Spanker

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    What is AA?
    Lol, I was going to mention that you might think this is antialiasing since you're a member of pixelation *snicker* Welcome back!

The next step for you would be going to a professional and finding out if it's really depression that you suffer, or just anxiety. It can be caused by physical and psychological things, and there are certain ways to treat both, just so you know a little about it.

Eat chocolate... !!!!

I always do that when I'm stressed or depress

(I'm not fat though)
    "You attract people by the qualities you display. You keep them by the qualities you possess"

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I've been depressed since elementary school, it runs in my family. So I'm talking out of some experience

Tell your doctor! Hopefully he/she will give you antidepressants. I take prozac daily and it is truely a miracle drug. Give it some time, the change is amazing and you will feel sooo much better.

Secondly, stop drinking. I became something of an alcoholic this year again partly due to the depression, not getting real drunk all the time but like 6 shots every night before bed. That, plus cat in the morning every now and then... Stopping is hard. Hopefully you have willpower to do that. If you don't, you might want to check out AA, I've only been to a few online meetings of theirs. Oh yeah, I was drinking like this up until early June but since only get wasted on the weekends at college parties.

My grandpa, who is also depressed, not only takes medications for it but during the fall, winter and spring stares at a light for extended periods of time.

But seriously, alcohol will only prolong the trouble and make it significantly worse. Stop now

If you want to talk with me at all about anything like just, feel free to send me a private message
    Warning: Drugs are only a quick fix, they are not cures for depression. I advise you seek therapy whilst on meds.

Depression is a mood for me. An emotion. Not a sickness. I have reasons for being depressed just like I have reasons for being happy. So if you are anything like me find the things in your life that make you depressed...and fix them.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Doesn't work like that for everyone OV. I was depressed for absolutely no reason... I remember playing my Gameboy (the old black and white one) and the little Super Mario diddy just always made me sad. Many things like that. You don't need a reason to be depressed, to be depressed

When it comes to depression I really like this article, it explains the causes and treatments for depression better than anywhere else I have found so far.

On treatments:

[url]http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/Treating_Depression/treating.htm[/url]

If you have a bit of time read up on what depression is, how it works and what causes it. Armed with this information you will have a much better fighting chance!

[url]http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/Understanding_Depression/understanding.htm[/url]

As already stated before by Kiechi, drugs do not cure depression, they only alleviate the symptoms. You will have to learn a range of techniques in order to combat depression.

The 'chemical imbalance' treated by antidepressants is almost always a result of depression, not a cause.

Antidepressant medication can be useful for some people in lifting severe depression symptoms quickly, but should not be the sole treatment for depression.

Without appropriate skills training, therapy, or whatever you want to call it, there is no reason why the depression shouldn't come back when a similar life situation arises again.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post

The 'chemical imbalance' treated by antidepressants is almost always a result of depression, not a cause.
    This is speculation at best. Women are more likely to suffer from depression, and surprise! They are also subject to hormone fluctuations which correlate strongly to their symptoms.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Oh bull shit. Depressions, Anorexia, and a bunch of others ....its all bull shit made up by attention craving Americans.

I don't wanna eat! I don't wanna EEAATT!.

Go **** yourself than bitch..more delicious food for me!
    -George Carlin.

Same shit with depression...

I feel so saaaad ...it must be a sickness...I must be sick....give me pills...fix this!

I think America has this stupid idea that everything can be fixed with drugs. If you are sad it is because your life sucks...either stop thinking that your life sucks or make it not suck. Take a ride on a roller coaster...for that ride you'll see, no depression.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    This is speculation at best. Women are more likely to suffer from depression, and surprise! They are also subject to hormone fluctuations which correlate strongly to their symptoms.
    They are more likely to suffer from depression because they are more sensitive than men, their sensitivity arouses depression symptoms (E.g Insomnia, Rumination etc..) which mostly create the chemical imbalance. Ofcourse there are other factors at play here as well, such as perception of and poor well being.

If you are interested I will post you some articles with links between depression and sensitivity. Sure there could be cases where people are just biologically stuffed up, but those cases are few and far between compared to the norm.
    Last edited by Mish; 26-12-07 at 07:06 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast