+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting an Engagement Ring for Christmas

Getting an Engagement Ring for Christmas

I think it's tacky to give someone an engagement ring for Christmas or for their birthday.

Am I completely alone in this?
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hmm... why is it tacky? I bet lots of women out there would love to get an engagement ring, no matter what day, and let's face it: jewelry beats a vaccuum cleaner or a bottle of perfume.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

LostNotFound Guest
    i don't see whats tacky about that. i thought my s.o would do that for my 21st but he said he's not. damn it.

he said he's got it all under control.

perfumes ok. diamonds are better. but i usuall perfer the cash.

My ex-husband gave me an engagement ring for my birthday. For some reason, it bugged me. I guess I wanted it to be an occasion of it's own, you know?
    Spammer Spanker

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    My ex-husband gave me an engagement ring for my birthday. For some reason, it bugged me. I guess I wanted it to be an occasion of it's own, you know?
    It's not that.

It's that the engagement should be at least unexpected. Birthdays/holidays are gift-giving days anyway. Be original.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    birthday or not... a few thousands dollars isn't something that you can just give any day of the year. it takes time to save up for these things and by pulling it out on your birthday only adds to the larger ring size that he was able to get.

in other words, would you have cared for a separate birthday present with a smaller rock on your finger??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

anachronistic Guest
    Quite a random question... I think I understand where you're coming from, though. I don't think it's necessarily cheesy, but cheap. And besides, if you're in a situation like Gigabitch's, you remember it every year, for the rest of your life. Every year, you'll have that one bitchy friend that mentions to you "Hey, didn't you get engaged on your birthday? *snicker"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have never in my life heard anyone snicker about being propsed to on either their birthday or Christmas.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't feel like giving Amy a dumb ring.

Rings are dumb, and I never want to have to wear one.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Most girls want SOME sort of ring. We like the symbolism.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Most girls want SOME sort of ring. We like the symbolism.
    They're too expensive. Why would I wanna waste money on something so trivial? I really don't comprehend the expensive jewelry and fancy debt-inducing weddings.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They don't have to be expensive. You can pick up a plain gold band for pretty cheap.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    or you can put 50 cents into those quarter machines and hope that the little plastic bubble thing that you receive has a ring inside of it. is that doesn't work, cracker jack boxes usually will come with a ring. it's bit pricier than the 50 cent machine, but atmost you won't spend more than 5 bucks.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

anachronistic Guest
    If you get your girlfriend a 50 cent ring for your wedding, I'm pretty sure she'd shove it up your ass.

Well, I was proposed to around my birthday. Chris took me to Disney for my birthday, we spent the weekend. But it was like 2 days after my birthday. Anyway, what a great way he proposed. Ya know in all the parks they take your pic everywhere. So, were standing in front of Cinderella's castle getting ready to snap some more pics and BAM he fell to his knees and prosposed. I was shocked as hell. It was so unexpected and awesome. Its a day I will NEVER forget. The best part was Chris told the photographer he was about to propose so he snapped a ton of shots, it was incredible. We spent a fortune on the pics, but it was worth it.

I guess getting proposed on holidays or birthdays, some women almost expect it, it kinda ruins the element of suprise. But its something you will never forget. I dont find it cheesy, i find it kinda romantic. But I guess it depends on how the guy does the proposing too.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast