+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: snowboarding. continued.

snowboarding. continued.

hi.

so i've been trying out snowboarding a little as some of you know.

i went yesterday again for the third time. the first two times were pretty much hell. the first time i freaked out at having that stupid board attached to my feet.

then the second time i was dragged to the top of the mountain and spent 3 hours trying to come down. i hurt myself pretty bad.

buuuuuuut i wanted to try it again so i went yesterday. this time i stuck to the bunny hill, and i think i'm starting to get it!

i can maneuver around people, i can somewhat control myself at higher speeds, and i can go much longer with the board on my feet.

i've also been borrowing a friends gear and i think her boots are too big for me. it's hard to control a snowboard when your feet are flopping around in the boots.

(anyway, we'll have to bring the discussion in here as somebody has erased two of my update posts.)

oh and yes, i fell on the same part of my ass a thousand times. and yes, it still hurts.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you will have an easier time with properly fitting boots. I think your risk for broken bones is increased with equipment that doesn't fit properly. I had an instructor tell me that broken wrists are the number one injury, and broken tailbone number two, so be careful!

Are you going any more this season? My daughter is bugging me to buy her a board.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yeah i'll probably be going more. my suggestion would be to rent your daughter some equipment to see how she likes snowboarding for at least the first few times. that shit is really expensive. 500 bucks for a board, another 500 for clothes... etc. so yeah, see if she likes it first. wait, i'm assuming she's never done it before. has she?

i can see how wrists and tail bones would be the most broken. my tail bone feels like there's damage already. (i already have lumbar problems, as you know.) and the instinct is to break your fall with your hands. last week my wrists hurt, my hands were bruised and swollen, i'm lucky i didn't break anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've damaged my tailbone before; it hurts badly for months and months. I'd rather have a broken wrist. The instructor told us to make a fist if you are gong to fall, and to fall on one butt cheek or the other if you are falling backwards. I can't ijmagine it is very easy to plan this out, though.

Anyway, yes - my daughter has gone a few times, but we only head up to the snow a few times a year. I don't think it's worth it to purchase equipment with such infrequent usage, so we've been renting. She already has snow clothes, and claims she will save up for her own board since I am so mean.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

you won't buy her a snowboard?!?!

that's it vashh, i'm calling child protective services on you.

lol, vashti, come out here so we can have a ski trip.

anyway yeah, NOW i fall on one butt cheek, because it just hurts too ****ing bad to fall on the same place i always fall.

usually falling on the tail bone is from riding the back edge of the board, facing down the mountain. forward falls are from riding the front edge, or facing the mountain. i'm having an easier time riding the front edge as you usually fall on your knees and it's a little easier than going forward. my knees are bruised up from this.

but i'm not nearly as sore as i have been the last two times.

i think i'd like to try ski gliding...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1kGmOhzWQ"]YouTube - Ski-Gliding the Eiger[/ame]
    Last edited by misombra; 11-01-08 at 11:01 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh

My

God!

That guy just jumped off the side of the world!

Too scary for me! I'll wait for you in the lodge at the bottom of the mountain.

isn't it crazy?

i was just thinking that if you bought your daughter a snowboard now, she'd probably grow out of it pretty quickly and she'd find herself buying another one in a few years anyway.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nah, she's fully grown, although fairly petite. Because of her medical issues, we had to have her bone plates x-rayed, which confirmed it. I think she just wants the snowboard to impress a boy she likes.

oh i see. how cute.

mikey's uncles son is about 12 and he can ski so good. girls are always trying to get his attention but he just blasts down the mountain. it's so cute.

he did like 20 lift rides in the 3 hours it took me to get down the mountain that second time i went lol. he'd wave from the lift and then come blazing down, stops on the drop of the hat without falling, ask me how i'm doing? then go back down. lol. i was throughly impressed.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Kids can pick these things up so quickly! My son skis, too. He is good, but he is very athletic in general. He isn't willing to give up the few days a year he skis to learn how to snowboard.

My daughter is pretty uncoordinated (like her mama). She will do well enough to have fun, but will never be great (not that she cares).

I'm gonna PM you...

anachronistic Guest
    Man, that would be FUN. Too bad that guy had a parachute. I guess he's not the daredevil he'd be if he didn't have one.

I went snowboarding only once in my life. I tumbled all the way down copper mountain in Colorado... I had to go on the blue zone because I couldn't find the damn bunny.

Thats so cool Misombra you've got a new sport! I could never get into winter things and I lived in the north. Guess I prefer to be indoors or in the sun.

Thats just too wild for me, but it does look like so much fun! Good for you. I think youre going to be a pro before you know it!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

lilwang, a blue slope on your first run? holy posole. i would've broken something for sure.

i went on a blue run my second time and i think i cried twice. i was a mess lol.

as far back as i can remember, i've always wanted to ski, but wherever i lived, it never snowed!!! most my friends don't ski, but two that do, travel to places where there IS snow, and they're really really good, but they kept telling me how difficult it is, and now i just don't care for it anymore.

sorry for getting off track, i know boarding and skiing are not the same, but i guess they are both kind of similar! Two people are reading this thread, one is a hardcore ski maniac, and the other a boarder... and they both think i'm an idiot

it's hard.

really ridiculously hard.

but there's a little fighter in me who'll always be willing to bust her ass to learn something new and exciting.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast