+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP vs. Vista ... Which to choose?

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

XP vs. Vista ... Which to choose?

Come on, people ... Help me out here ... I just ordered a new PC and it comes with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I've been using XP pro since I got it pirated in 2001. I've been satisfied with it.

What I'm wondering is whether or not I should just reformat the new desktop with XP again or stick with Vista?

I don't do any gaming. I do a fair amount of video/audio editing and re/encoding. Other than that, mostly school sh*t and internet surfing ... perhaps a download or few.

My current setup is an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and I'm be jumping to an Intel Core 2 Quad-core by next week ...

So, techies ... what'll it be? XP or Vista?
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

I'm using Vista and I am a gamer but I do everything else pretty much too. No problems, runs awesome, and love it more than I ever did my XP. It eats 200mb or RAM to run windows more than Xp but it is worth it. I don't know about editing software enough to decided for you though.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    XP is all you need if you're just word processing and browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    XP is all you need if you're just word processing and browsing.
    It seems like he has both though and is trying to decide which one to use.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ah, might as well just use vista if you have the resources.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I currently have XP, but my incoming desktop will have Vista on it. Another concern was whether or not some of my old hardware could be transferred without having driver issues ...
    no autographs, please!

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

I find Vista to be Not-Ready-For -Prime-Time. I've been pretty happy with XP, though I admit, I held on to 2000 Pro like it was a lifeline for way too long. I've found XP to be stable, which is the best compliment I can give it, as it pretty much exists as a backbone to support all of my other applications.

I don't trust the Vista. I have to say, though, that O-V's wholesale endorsement gives me a certain amount of confidence.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was on the phone with Amy last night, which is why my responses were so brief.

Basically, I'd prefer XP on a laptop, because Vista is just a system hog. I changed the theme over to the classic style, pretty much doing away with all the pretty effects. Otherwise, it essentially runs the same. You'll probably want to turn off the "User Account Control", when you get it. Essentially, every time you go to tinker with the settings/install/uninstall something, this little prompt will ask you whether you want to deny the action or continue.

It's really annoying.

Just look it up on-line, I'm sure you'll find the how-to, because it took me awhile to find it. They didn't put where any logical person would think they would, like in the Security Center under "User Account Control".

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    personally i have never used vista, nor have i heard much about it. however, i have a friend that works at supergeeks... (yup, me friends with a geek huh). however, i will ask him a few questions the next time that i see him and get some opinions.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

anachronistic Guest
    I prefer Linux with Wine over Vista. Get XP. Maybe in a year or two, all the bullshit will be taken care of for vista.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Choose the blue one

Based on your requirements, XP is really all you need. But with an intel 2-quad core, you have a pretty good laptop. What's the ram? If its 1gb, go for xp. If it's more than 2 gb, then you can consider vista.

My overall advice is to stick to XP, until all the compatibility issues are fixed on vista. If you like the looks better, you can download a vista skin for your xp. Google "vista transformation pack"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Something went terribly wrong

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    I prefer Linux with Wine over Vista. Get XP. Maybe in a year or two, all the bullshit will be taken care of for vista.
    Yea, the problem though is that this "bullshit" that needs to be taken care of is actually bullshit. There is no bullshit with Vista. I am using Vista on the same computer I used my XP pro on and Vista is BETTER in EVERYWAY! Except that it eats 200mb of ram more. That is done in order to run windows aero which adds little graphical touches to icons and a flipping mode through the explorer windows. Both which can be disabled. I understand though that people always have trouble accepting something new because they don't want to let go of what they already have.

Tedel Guest
    I'm also fan of Linux now. At work, I still use Windows, though.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So, the desktop I got was a Dell. After much thought, I decided I was going to reformat the thing with XP Pro. When I booted the XP disc from startup, it loaded a bunch of files and blue screened on me saying that the computer had to shut down to prevent damage to the PC.

I guess that was Dell's way of saying, you're stuck with Vista. I've been toying around with it and haven't had an compatibility issues yet, so I may just keep it around. SP1 will be coming around next month, so hopefully that helps ...

But ... it feels good to be able to do more than 2 things at a time! haha
    no autographs, please!

Life is ... Too Short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast