+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Got Engaged...

I Got Engaged...

Yup. Saturday. It was super-romantic. He asked me at the top of a mountain overlooking the ocean. I was expecting it, but not right then. We had been fighting lately, and I thought for sure he wasn't going to ask me, but he did.

Can you believe this guy actually wants to marry my bitchy ass?

Anyway, I do actually have a question: How traditional do you think a wedding should be, especially considering it's my second one? I have some objections to quite a few of the classic elements:

1) The veil. Wtf is up with that? It says "You don't know what you're getting until it's a done deal."

2) Being "given away". **** that. Nobody gives me away but me. Or maybe I should get my ex-husband to give me away. :cackle:

3) Why am I wearing an engagement ring, but he isn't? It's like he's got dibs but I don't.

I also hate that thing that lots of couples do where they're supposed to feed each other a bite of cake and they smear it in each others' faces. I wonder what the stats are on those couples getting divorced as opposed to people who actually fed one another a bite of their super-symbolic wedding cake gently, wanting them to actually enjoy it?
    Spammer Spanker

Woooooo!!

Congrats Giga

(Once Again)

In regards to traditionalness of the wedding, I'd leave that all up to the bride. A Presley wedding at Vegas would do it for me
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Congrats Gig! Here comes the over analyzing of everything. If you don't like the cake thing than don't do it.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

WOW!!! Congratulations Giga! And the lucky man too right!!! WAHOO and a romantic proposal at that! Good for you girl!

My first wedding I had the best of both worlds. But the real wedding, yup Vegas it was. I was so against the whole idea, Vegas=Cheezy. To my suprise, we did alot of research, and found this company who did what we wanted. We werent in town we drove out 45 min from Vegas to Red Rock Canyon. It was the minister, photographer, limo driver and us, and God. AMAZING!

At our wedding a couple days earlier, we had my family do a ceremony at their house, had my dad walk me, the cake smashing thing, and its a secret,his family doesnt know.

I think you should do whatever you want girl!!!! Have fun though!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Im so happy for you!!!!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Congratulations! Your proposal sounded really romantic.

Re: wedding. Dunno; my wedding wasn't exactly traditional, so don't know what to tell you except do what makes you happy.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Can you believe this guy actually wants to marry my bitchy ass?

Anyway, I do actually have a question: How traditional do you think a wedding should be, especially considering it's my second one? I have some objections to quite a few of the classic elements:

1) The veil. Wtf is up with that? It says "You don't know what you're getting until it's a done deal."

2) Being "given away". **** that. Nobody gives me away but me. Or maybe I should get my ex-husband to give me away. :cackle:

3) Why am I wearing an engagement ring, but he isn't? It's like he's got dibs but I don't.

I also hate that thing that lots of couples do where they're supposed to feed each other a bite of cake and they smear it in each others' faces. I wonder what the stats are on those couples getting divorced as opposed to people who actually fed one another a bite of their super-symbolic wedding cake gently, wanting them to actually enjoy it?
    I had no idea! Completely oblivious; I thought you had a popsicle's chance in hell!

I guess if the cake smothering thing bothers you, you could always hire a male stripper to pop out of the cake just when he reaches for it. That will ensure you a life long marriage.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    so where's the party at??? we are invited right??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Congrats again, Giga.

The most important thing is to do it the way you want. I hate that people think weddings are supposed to be to show off to the friends and family. It's YOUR day, do it where you want, wear what you want, play any cheesy music your heart so desires.

I personally think the cake smearing thing is stupid.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hear the sound of all the single men crying!

Congrats!

No cake-smashing for me, either. Tacky... Even worse is the "money dance". I like the veil, although mine didn't cover my face. I guess it made the wedding seem more "real" to me.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Yup. Saturday. It was super-romantic. He asked me at the top of a mountain overlooking the ocean. I was expecting it, but not right then. We had been fighting lately, and I thought for sure he wasn't going to ask me, but he did.
    Awww..

Sorry.. I know it's hard to believe.. but i'm the type of person who cries in Pixar films like Cars & Finding Nemo..

Congrats Giga!
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Elope. Just elope. Go to Carmel. Have a minister marry you in Dennis the Menace Park. Stay at a B&B. Just relax. You already know what ya got. He's unwrapped his gifts, too.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    Awww..

Sorry.. I know it's hard to believe.. but i'm the type of person who cries in Pixar films like Cars & Finding Nemo..

Congrats Giga!
    it's also hard to believe, but i'm usually the guy sitting in the last row laughing at all the men who cry at these sorts of films... especially titanic.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

congratulations!!!

when's the bachelorette party?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You sound rather unenthused, considering.

You ready for this?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I hear the sound of all the single men crying!
    I don't get it.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast